+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-person special ceremony experience at the Cirque De Soleil Big Top in Toronto on July 19th 2024

FMeg

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
It was the 40th anniversary of the Cirque de Soleil company in Toronto and they organized the event in co-ordination with the IRCC. We had a surprise performance from the act at the end of the ceremony. There was no mention of this in the invitation letter, so it was a big surprise!

Number of Candidates: 400 candidates from 65 countries

Before the Ceremony:

• Arrived at 12:15 pm and was made to wait in 1 of 2 lines. 1st line was for candidates numbered 1-200; 2nd line was for candidates numbered 201-400.
  • While in line we were asked to have the first page of the invitation, media consent form, PR card and 1 other piece of id ready (I used my Driver's license).
  • At check in, they took our PR cards and the media consent form.
  • Walked through the metal detector to the second line.
  • Went to the appropriate desk and signed a form confirming we received our Certificate of Citizenship. We were given a welcome packet with letter from the PM and the minister of IRCC, a flag and a pin.
  • Lined up to go inside the tent and take our seats.
  • On the way, we had the opportunity to take photos with the performers. There was also a red-carpet camera spot to take photos.
  • We made our way into the tent where ushers helped us find our specified seats (Your candidate number will be written on the seat). Family were seated separately from the candidates.
  • Photos and Videos were allowed throughout. We were only asked to turn off the flash.
During the Ceremony:

• Short Welcome Home video showcasing Canadian culture.
  • Had short speeches from the judge (Talked about his own experience immigrating) and a professor who was from an Indigenous background about Canada's rich history.
  • We were informed during one of the speeches that there would be a short performance at the end of the ceremony! The entire tent was thrilled!!!
  • Video showcasing Indigenous people welcoming us to Canada.
  • IRCC Minister Marc Miller gave a short speech.
  • After his speech, he administered the oath taking process for all the candidates.
  • Closing remarks from the judge.
  • We lined up based on seat number to collect our certificates. There were 2 sets of lines. One line got it from the judge, the other got it from Marc Miller.
  • Once everyone had their certificates and were back in their seats, one of the Cirque performers sang the national anthem. All the candidates sang the national anthem for the first time as Canadians!
  • Immediately after, the performance started. It was very colorful and vibrant. The performance lasted about 5-10 min. Some of the acts that I recall, somersaults, hanging from poles on the ceiling, two-man act where one was spinning the other with his legs while on his back, juggling.
  • Once the performance was finished, we were told that we could line up outside for photos with the judge/performers.

Personal thoughts:
The dress code mentioned was formal, but most didn't really bother dressing up. There were a handful in t-shirts, shorts, flip flops. Some looked like they didn't bother showering and just walked there right out of bed. One gentleman had his top 2 buttons unbuttoned and his chest hair was hanging out.

They got their certificates too, but I felt they could put a little bit of effort into looking presentable on a special day. Some amount of respect needs to be shown for the process and the people organizing the event. Besides that, I didn't really have anything to nitpick.

IRCC and Cirque de Soleil organized it professionally and did a stellar job. The minister mentioned that this was the largest ceremony in 20 years. I was very lucky to be able to get selected for this ceremony, it was an unforgettable experience. "Core memory created" as the kids say it!

Kudos to the team.

My timeline:

Physical Presence Days : 1165
Application : Single
Application sent : April 1st, 2024
Delivered : April 1st
AOR : April 5th
Application linked : April 5th
Background Completed: May 31st
Citizenship test invite: June 5th
Citizenship test taken/updated to completed: June 14th
LPP: July 4th
Ceremony Invitation: July 5th
In person Ceremony: July 19th

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
It was a fun ceremony. Just wish people respected the direction to save picture taking until after the ceremony. Some folks took liberties while getting their certificates and it just extended an already long day.

Also the cirque performance was mentioned in the press release (informing of Minister Miller’s attendance) but I imagine very few folks saw or read that outside of media.

Last edited: