+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

in or out PR application?

carolinebox

Apr 27, 2011
thank you everyone for the helpful feedback. I am convinced now that I should apply for my PR from outside Canada. With a very sick father back home it is essential to me that I'm not "stuck" in Canada and that I be free to travel home at short notice.

One more question:
If I apply through the Buffalo office do I include my work permit extension application with it? Or do I send it somewhere else? I'm a little unclear if they are supposed to be applied for together.

Thanks again.

Kiwi :)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carolinebox said:
One more question:
If I apply through the Buffalo office do I include my work permit extension application with it? Or do I send it somewhere else? I'm a little unclear if they are supposed to be applied for together.
Outland applicants are not eligible for an open work permit.

carolinebox

Apr 27, 2011
If I'm not eligible for an open work permit while applying for PR outside of Canada, then how do I legally stay living and working in Canada while the PR is being processed?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You can apply to vary your status to visitor, and apply for an extension of your stay on the basis that you have applied for PR. Should be some threads around that say how to do so, it's been successfully done by others.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carolinebox said:
If I'm not eligible for an open work permit while applying for PR outside of Canada, then how do I legally stay living and working in Canada while the PR is being processed?
As the other poster said, you can apply for a change of conditions to your current status from worker to visitor. But you cannot work as a visitor. However, if your employer wants to keep you, they must apply to Service Canada for a Labour Market Opinion to be allowed to hire a foreign worker. They must meet the advertising requirements for the skill level of the position, prevailing wage and show that no Canadian or permanent resident that applied for the job was qualified and/or willing to take it. If they receive a positive response to their application, you can obtain another work permit.