+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Ontario does working as Engineer require PEO in order to apply through PNP?

Jaf

Jun 24, 2014
Hi!!
I am currently working as engineer in Ontario and I intend to apply to PR through the PNP.
In the application form says that to apply for a regulated profession (as engineer) you must have a membership or be registered in the regulated occupation.
Before coming to ON I was living in Alberta so I started my application for Professional Engineer with APEGA (even though now I am currently working and applying from Ontario). It will take me 1 year of Canadian Experience to get the professional designation though.I know that in Alberta you just need to ask APEGA for a "Letter of no objection" and submit that within your PNP application.
My question would be:
-
1- Is required in Ontario a letter of no objection from PEO? I called them and they did not know anything about that
2- Do I need to cancel my application in APEGA and start a new one with PEO Ontario, and get the membership, before submitting my PNP application?. If so, what I need to submit to PNP? The membership number or something like that?? Because they do not give you such a thing as a letter of no objection :-[
3- Can I submit the letter of no objection from APEGA? Should I submit anything related to professional engineers at all!!??

I hope anybody has been in similar situation and may help me because I am really confused. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,
I am doing the PEO application in the mo.
I started a year ago sending my translated transcripts from the Technical University I was studying (26 years ago :).
I am working now 26 years as an engineer, 7 of it in Canada (just can't call myself an engineer here officially and some local PEO registered engineer has to approve my work, well that's the company I am working for paying).
In order to get a PEO license you'll need to got through the full program (check out their HP). When they decide that your education profile is sufficient, they'll invite you to an ERC interview to check your knowledge and experience and decide whether you'll be exempt from re-writing all or some of the tests according to the category you are applying for. Anyway, you'll have to write the Ethics Test. Overall processing time w/o the need to write all tests again: ~2 years.

I do the whole thing just for the sake of finding out what's required (and if it's nuisance or not). It took me a year to get an invitation to the ERC interview. I am looking forward to it w/o any pressure as I do not plan to register (and pay a fortune) to something I don't need to do my job. Well, that maybe different for you, especially if you seek to apply for PNP in ON. You'll need a registration number which comes after you completed the procedure (price tag incl. the required insurance, probably close to $5k/year (yes, has to be renewed every year!)).

The fact that there's a need to have a PNP for engineers tells you something. Like the lack of understanding (with the PEO officials) to recognize (and award) the foreign university education of Canadian Citizen and the quality of such. They do not even accredit education from other provinces w/o challenge!

Long story short: My reco, if you are in the process of getting accreditation from Alberta, proceed with that. It'll open the door for you to 'transfer' your Professional Engineer of Alberta to Ontario. Only requirement this time: write the ON obligatory ethics test. Overall might be much faster than starting from scratch in ON.

-mike-

Jaf

Jun 24, 2014
Thanks Mike for the advise!! I will proceed that way.

What concerns me though is what may happen if I send my candidature for PNP, explaining them that I am under supervision of a Professional Engineer and therefore I do not require to be PEO to perform my job. BUT, that I am pursuing my PEO and is my intent to get it as soon as I get the required Canadian experience (something like that). Should be that enough or will they refuse my candidature?? In January my current visa is over and I do not have options to renew :s

By the way, I asked this same question to "Opportunities Ontario", but I don´t really understand their answer. As I understand on one hand looks like if I am under supervision of a Professional Engineer it is not necessary to be P,EO menber to apply for PNP. But on the other hand, looks like they ask me for full professional engineer designation¿?. To be professional engineer requires at least 1 year of experience in Canada so, this last option doesn´t make any sense to me because whoever possess this designation wouldn´t apply through pnp, but through Experience Class (as they have been working in Canada for a while). :-\

I copy their answer (please, give me your opinion!!! this is driving me crazy because if they refuse my candidature I am leaving Canada :'( )

Thank you for your inquiry about the Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program.

>>> Opportunities Ontario -
Opportunities Ontario suggests completing your engineering designation from Alberta first and then applying to Opportunities Ontario, if eligible (see Foreign Worker Stream below). If you are working in a regulated occupation, you must have the required licence to work in that field. Also Opportunities Ontario accepts applicants who plan on living, working and remaining in Ontario.

>>> Alberta Designation -
I contacted the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) at 416-224-1100 on your behalf and they indicated that the process of receiving your P.Eng designation would be faster if you first complete the Alberta designation. Once you have completed your Alberta designation, you can contact the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) and inquire about their 'mobility agreement.' Under this agreement PEO will contact PEA to confirm your designation.

>>> Ontario Designation -
Should you stop the designation from Alberta, PEO stated that you would need to have a full evaluation for licensing in Ontario; complete various examinations and will require a minimum of 4 years of Canadian work experience.

>>> Working in Ontario -
PLEASE NOTE: A professional engineer must have satisfied the requirements set by Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) to earn a licence, however, you can work in engineering without a licence, IF a professional engineer supervises and takes responsibility for your work. You cannot use the title "professional engineer", the abbreviation "P.Eng.", or any similar title that may lead to the belief that you are qualified to practise professional engineering unless you are a licensed professional engineer.

PEO REGULATORY BODY -
If you have further inquiries regarding Ontario licensure, please contact PEO.
40 Sheppard Ave. West, Suite 101
Toronto, ON M2N 6K9
Telephone: 416-224-1100
Toll Free: 1-800-339-3716 (only in Ontario)
Fax: 416-224-8168
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-268-0496 (only in Ontario)

>>> Global Experience Ontario (GEO) -
You may also wish to contact Global Experience Ontario (GEO) for more information about the Professional Engineer designation and Ontario.
GEO is an Access and Resource Centre that helps internationally trained and educated individuals in regulated professions find out how to qualify for professional practice in Ontario. This one-stop centre offers a range of services.

Global Experience Ontario is located at:
400 University Ave., 5th Floor
Toronto ON M7A 2R9
Tel: 416-327-9694 or 1-866-670-4094
Fax 416-327-9711
E-mail: geo@ontario.ca
Or visit their website at xxxxxx

>>> Opportunities Ontario - Foreign Worker Stream -
The Opportunities Ontario application process has two steps: first the Pre-screen Application (only for employers), and second the Nominee Application (only for individuals). Your employer will need to apply to the program for your position and be pre-approved by Opportunities Ontario. The employer will receive an approval form for the position. If the position is approved by Opportunities Ontario, the nominee can then complete the Nominee Application Form and include the employer approval form with the application.

You may apply to Opportunities Ontario only if you have a permanent, full-time job offer in a managerial, professional or skilled trades occupation (National Occupational Classification (NOC), Skill Level 0, A or B). You must also demonstrate that you have work experience in that occupation for at least two years in the past five years. If your occupation is considered a regulated occupation, individuals applying must demonstrate they possesses the required license.

To find the right NOC code for your occupation, please visit xxxxxxxx. To determine if your occupation is in the NOC skill type 0 or skill level A or B, please visit -xxxxxxxxx.

If successfully nominated by the province, individuals must then apply for permanent residence from the federal government and complete all necessary security, health checks etc.

PLEASE NOTE: Opportunities Ontario does not perform recruitment or job-matching functions and does not maintain a list of eligible employers searching for employees. It is the responsibility of an Ontario employer to apply to Opportunities Ontario, and if approved, recruit a qualified individual for the approved position(s).

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

OntarioImmigration.ca

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,
like I said straight forward complete the Alberta process then transfer it.
If your process is already started (file number, acknowledgement letter) it is an ongoing process which counts as active and you're treated like completed until it is officially refused.

You need to start your PNP application BEFORE your Visa status expires. Get a file number ASAP (indicates application in process, acknowledgement letter). Under this premise you don't have to leave and can continue working. Don't leave the country though because your re-entry could be declined! If you stay here with an active PNP (PR) application you can stay and proceed with your stuff until it is refused. If it gets refused you can extend your stay by an appeal. That'll give you enough time to complete your application in Alberta. With that you fulfill the requirement for PNP. Actually you do already now with an active application and working in an engineering job under the supervision of an licensed engineer. Make sure he'll write you a good reference detailing your work performed while referencing the 5 engineering principles and the appliance in your daily work. A reference letter from your former Alberta employer is certainly very helpful too.
Don't know what I am talking about? Well read through the whole PEO page especially the terms about your work experience to get a grab on the engineering principles.

--mike--