+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Improve CRS score

Tsingh1023

May 19, 2019
Hello- I am preparing for applying through Express Entry. I have a 4 year Bachelors degree from India. I am in US right now on H1B Visa. My CRS is coming out to around 438 which I do not think will make to the ITA. Therefore,I am looking for few options to improve my score by getting 1 year associate degree in US. Will the Associate degree count against “ 2 or more degree, 1 of which is 3 year or more”. If that is true my score will jump around 462 and thus improve my chances for getting ITA. Please suggest!!!!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I have a score of 8 in IELTS. Even if I max out, my score will still be around 450ish, the chances will still be slim.
You are adding points for work experience as well right? with CLB 10 you get extra points for work ex.

Tsingh1023

May 19, 2019
You are adding points for work experience as well right? with CLB 10 you get extra points for work ex.
Yes. I added my work ex. I am using the CRS calculator on cic website. Can you recommend me another calculator that may have more details than the one on cic website?

Tsingh1023

May 19, 2019
Thanks! I tried the mentioned link as well. My score still lingers around 433. My question still remains. Can a 1 year associate degree + my existing 4 year degree, help me get the benefit of 2 post secondary degrees, thereby increasing my score to 460?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks! I tried the mentioned link as well. My score still lingers around 433. My question still remains. Can a 1 year associate degree + my existing 4 year degree, help me get the benefit of 2 post secondary degrees, thereby increasing my score to 460?
Yes. If your ECA shows that you have an Associate Degree it will count as two degrees. Your ECA has to show it though, so you'll need to get it from a recognized school.

Check here (search for associate) - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
I have a score of 8 in IELTS. Even if I max out, my score will still be around 450ish, the chances will still be slim.
A CRS score of 450 should get you in the game. This score got applicants ITA's in February and is likely to do so again later this year.
What is the CLB equivalent of your current IELTS score? If you max it out like 21Goose recommended, then your score will see an immediate jump with an additional investment of @$300.

You will need to do the math long term - both in terms of your CRS score and your associated costs. Your additional degree will be completed a year from now and that's when you will get your additional points. This doesn't even account for the course fees that you shall pay and the time you shall have to invest while dealing with your current job.
Also, I am not sure what your age is, but if you are 30 years or above - you are going to bleed 5 points with every passing birthday.
All of this is with the assumption that CRS trends shall remain the same in a years time... the CRS threshold for receiving invites could change by then...most likely upwards.
So you can add it all up and then decide the best course of action for you.
If I were you - I would do everything to max out my score NOW and then look at other means to boost my score ( such as pursuing an additional educational credential).

Chocoboy

Jun 12, 2019
Hi there, need advise for the below situation:
Indian , 25, with 3 years Software experience.With a 4 year Bachelor (BTech-ECE)degree from India , have enrolled for PG Diploma(ongoing- 1 year) via Distant mode.(Enrolled primarily to get Two/more certificates or diplomas). Recently, checked on the WES site and it showed PG Diploma as " 1 year Graduate study", which means my highest qualification would be a Bachelors.
Based on these, I have 2 options:
A.)With IELTS 8+ band , another 6 month certificate course, or a distant learning Masters in India(would take 2 years) , along with an average French skill(aiming for atleast band 3-5 in TEF for 4 CRS points). Briefly CRS would be for two./more certificates - around 474-478(possibly in 2021) and for Masters- around 481-485(in 2022)
B.) 1 year Masters from University of Calgary(software engineering) followed by 1 year job. Although I know this gives high score, I am much worried about the employment after Masters degree in Canada, since Calgary is primarily a hotspot(as I heard) for Petrochemical industries, and I would have 1 year PGWP.

Any advise in these lines as which option would be feasible and realistic, is much appreciated.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi there, need advise for the below situation:
Indian , 25, with 3 years Software experience.With a 4 year Bachelor (BTech-ECE)degree from India , have enrolled for PG Diploma(ongoing- 1 year) via Distant mode.(Enrolled primarily to get Two/more certificates or diplomas). Recently, checked on the WES site and it showed PG Diploma as " 1 year Graduate study", which means my highest qualification would be a Bachelors.
Based on these, I have 2 options:
A.)With IELTS 8+ band , another 6 month certificate course, or a distant learning Masters in India(would take 2 years) , along with an average French skill(aiming for atleast band 3-5 in TEF for 4 CRS points). Briefly CRS would be for two./more certificates - around 474-478(possibly in 2021) and for Masters- around 481-485(in 2022)
B.) 1 year Masters from University of Calgary(software engineering) followed by 1 year job. Although I know this gives high score, I am much worried about the employment after Masters degree in Canada, since Calgary is primarily a hotspot(as I heard) for Petrochemical industries, and I would have 1 year PGWP.

Any advise in these lines as which option would be feasible and realistic, is much appreciated.
If you do a Canadian Masters, you will have around 484 points even without Canadian work experience (assuming CLB 9). While impossible to guarantee, that's a high enough score that you should have no trouble getting PR.

In addition, a Canadian Masters in Computer Science from a good University like UCalgary will be EXTREMELY useful if you intend to live and work in Canada. Yes, Alberta is big in petrochem, but software engineers are always in demand, and there's nothing that says you have to work in Alberta. You could easily move to Vancouver or Toronto, for example.

Of course getting a job involves luck as well, but you will be in a much better position with a Canadian degree as opposed to coming here as a PR and trying to find a job with foreign degrees and work ex.

So yeah, if you get admitted to UCalgary or a similar quality school for a Master's in CompSci, and you are able to afford the cost of the program, you should totally do that.

Reactions: Chocoboy

Chocoboy

Jun 12, 2019
@21Goose,
Thank you very much for quick and detailed response. Yes, I am very much inclined towards the Masters option as it seems to be with low risk and high gain. However, for the Masters, I shall have to rely on an Edu loan. I'd consider to land in Canada on a study visa, and then apply for Express entry(FSW). Would this seem reliable with only 1 year PGWP and a loan back in home country?

Anugeo

Sep 29, 2020
Hi,
My CRS score is 448 and that is if me and my spouse max at our CLB.

Work exp : 3 yrs
We both only have bachelor's degree (computer science) and no Canadian work/education or a sibling.

Thinking of higher studies or learning French or getting overseas job seems to be a great hurdle.
Any hope if I go forward with 448 points??
Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My CRS score is 448 and that is if me and my spouse max at our CLB.

Work exp : 3 yrs
We both only have bachelor's degree (computer science) and no Canadian work/education or a sibling.

Thinking of higher studies or learning French or getting overseas job seems to be a great hurdle.
Any hope if I go forward with 448 points??
Please advise.
No chance of ITA through Express Entry with 448. Focus on increasing your score to 470+.

Reactions: Anugeo