+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status - Clarification

Tam81

Mar 20, 2014
I have applied for PR under Canadian Experience Class in December 2013 so can take 13 month to process.
My second WHP visa from Australia expires May 2014. March 2014 I submitted an application of a bridging visa/extension to my work visa. As I am on WHP it was very confusing.
I was advised over the phone today with out my application being looked at that it most likely will not be processed until after May as they are behind so I would have "Implied Status".
However after reading some posts on here I am worried that this may not be the case. Any advice.

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
Tam81 said:
I have applied for PR under Canadian Experience Class in December 2013 so can take 13 month to process.
My second WHP visa from Australia expires May 2014. March 2014 I submitted an application of a bridging visa/extension to my work visa. As I am on WHP it was very confusing.
I was advised over the phone today with out my application being looked at that it most likely will not be processed until after May as they are behind so I would have "Implied Status".
However after reading some posts on here I am worried that this may not be the case. Any advice.
Apply for BOWP, if this will not be completed before the expiry of your current WHP - you are considered implied until they decide on your BOWP.
Good Luck

Sophia.B

Star Member
Dec 25, 2012
Hi there, from my experience, called CIC many times that they told me Implied status only applied on people who applied common-law or sponsorship which means you can stay in same condition until the decision made. I could be wrong, but that's they told me last year, I was struggled with my working permit expired and wanted to continue working, people at CIC told me that I can apply for PR under common-law in order to go on implied status to continue working. It may different to your situation, my suggestion is call CIC and talk to different officer, some times they give different answer depend on their knowledge and mood i guess :(

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Tam81 said:
I assume it's a BOWP that you applied for in March, and not an extension of your IEC work permit. The BOWP application would get you implied status. This amounts to an 'extension' of your stay in Canada as a worker, but it isn't an extension of the permit itself, rather it is a new permit.

This is an important difference because IEC permits are not extendable, and any application to extend one would not get you implied status.

Sophia.B said:
Hi there, from my experience, called CIC many times that they told me Implied status only applied on people who applied common-law or sponsorship which means you can stay in same condition until the decision made. I could be wrong, but that's they told me last year, I was struggled with my working permit expired and wanted to continue working, people at CIC told me that I can apply for PR under common-law in order to go on implied status to continue working. It may different to your situation, my suggestion is call CIC and talk to different officer, some times they give different answer depend on their knowledge and mood i guess :(
Not sure who told you this. I'm guessing common-law applied to your circumstances and that's why it was suggested to you. Technically an application for PR doesn't give you implied status; it's an application for a permit that does.

Tam81

Mar 20, 2014
So I believe I have applied for the correct extension to my permit....BWOP (I think)

IMM5710...

This is what I have applied for and everything I have read gives me the indication that this covers me while I wait for PR. I have called CIC a few times and each time I get a generic response but they will not look into my application....

I am not in a relationship.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Yes, BOWP is the correct work permit to apply for.

As for implied status, there doesn't seem to be much clarification whether those on IEC actually get implied status due to the 'cannot be extended' part on the permit. However, you should get it before may, so you probably don't need to worry anyways.

I was on the same work permit btw (from uk), I was disappointed that the BOWP has the same 'cannot work in strip club' restriction as the IEC, I've missed out on many $$$s.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Tam81 said:
So I believe I have applied for the correct extension to my permit....BWOP (I think)

IMM5710...

This is what I have applied for and everything I have read gives me the indication that this covers me while I wait for PR. I have called CIC a few times and each time I get a generic response but they will not look into my application....
Well, IMM 5710 is the same form used for any work permit application or extension from inside Canada, but if it's a BOWP you applied for then you're good to go.

majh

Mar 10, 2014
Tam81 said:

IMM5710...

I am not in a relationship.
Did you apply online? It says on the website the estimate processing time is 16 days..

Tam81

Mar 20, 2014
majh said:
Did you apply online? It says on the website the estimate processing time is 16 days..
They are behind on the online ones as well. When I called they advised me. Was unable to apply online so applied via mail.... Website is an indication of processing time.