+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of taxes owed to CRA on citizenship decision

wintersports

Nov 29, 2022
Hello, I am currently a permanent resident of Canada, married to my Canadian citizen wife, been living in Canada almost 5 years uninterrupted. Will soon be sending in an application for citizenship. Have been reading through the application form and got to the section about taxes. I have filed all years tax returns in Canada but currently owe a balance of taxes payable to the CRA.

I see there is language at the bottom of section 12 on the citizenship application where it says "I also authorize IRCC to examine my tax information in activities to support quality assurance and integrity in the citizenship program."

So, even though I have filed tax returns for all required years, wondering if the fact I currently owe a decent amount of $$ to the CRA will impact my citizenship application, if there is a certain amount owed that would result in an adverse opinion or if I should wait to apply for citizenship until I have my tax balance paid off.

Thanks!

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hello, I am currently a permanent resident of Canada, married to my Canadian citizen wife, been living in Canada almost 5 years uninterrupted. Will soon be sending in an application for citizenship. Have been reading through the application form and got to the section about taxes. I have filed all years tax returns in Canada but currently owe a balance of taxes payable to the CRA.

I see there is language at the bottom of section 12 on the citizenship application where it says "I also authorize IRCC to examine my tax information in activities to support quality assurance and integrity in the citizenship program."

So, even though I have filed tax returns for all required years, wondering if the fact I currently owe a decent amount of $$ to the CRA will impact my citizenship application, if there is a certain amount owed that would result in an adverse opinion or if I should wait to apply for citizenship until I have my tax balance paid off.

Thanks!
As long as you have filed your taxes, you should be good. Apply away!

Hope you get in touch with a CRA and come up with a payment arrangement so they don't tack on too much interest on the money owed...

Good luck on both counts!

Reactions: MatQue

FreeBird19

Aug 31, 2022
They are looking for proof you were actively living in Canada and not that you owe taxes or not..You are fine to go ahead and apply.