+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of child PR sponsorship application when child receives Canada Child Benefit

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Hello,

We are PR's in Canada. If my wife(not employed) applies for Canada Child Benefit, would it have any negative impact when she later sponsor our child to become permanent residents of Canada? I believe that Canada Child Benefit is not considered as a Social Assistance, which when received, would have otherwise made my partner ineligible to sponsor the child. Could you please share your opinion on this?

Thank You!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

We are PR's in Canada. If my wife(not employed) applies for Canada Child Benefit, would it have any negative impact when she later sponsor our child to become permanent residents of Canada? I believe that Canada Child Benefit is not considered as a Social Assistance, which when received, would have otherwise made my partner ineligible to sponsor the child. Could you please share your opinion on this?

Thank You!
No impact. Go ahead.

Reactions: can_asp and skye

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank You!
How long will you be out of Canada after you sponsor your child? That is what May have an impact on your application. You also may not qualify for health coverage if you are out of Ontario for over a month.

Reactions: can_asp

can_asp

May 15, 2021
@canuck78

Those are really the questions that has been bothering me for sometime now and I am glad you had rightly raised it. I foresee I would have to be out of Canada for 1-2 months ,to fulfil certain commitments abroad, which I couldn't avoid. Since the sponsor is expected not to leave the country, while the child sponsorship application is in progress, I am thinking if I can make my partner sponsor the child instead of me and she has no plans to leave Canada. However, My partner is not employed and she doesn't have an employment history.

Would that be a better option or we risk rejection of our Child's sponsor application as it would be difficult for Her to prove she could financially support the child by Herself without my support. Would Her financial capability be reviewed when She applies to Sponsor?

Also, if I am outside the country for more than 1 month within the first 183 days immediately after I began living in Ontario, I believe my OHIP coverage would be cancelled? In that case, Do I immediately become eligible to reapply after entering Canada again or there are any complications/risk of my request getting denied?

Please advise.

How long will you be out of Canada after you sponsor your child? That is what May have an impact on your application. You also may not qualify for health coverage if you are out of Ontario for over a month.

Thank You @scylla!

No impact. Go ahead.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78

Those are really the questions that has been bothering me for sometime now and I am glad you had rightly raised it. I foresee I would have to be out of Canada for 1-2 months ,to fulfil certain commitments abroad, which I couldn't avoid. Since the sponsor is expected not to leave the country, while the child sponsorship application is in progress, I am thinking if I can make my partner sponsor the child instead of me and she has no plans to leave Canada. However, My partner is not employed and she doesn't have an employment history.

Would that be a better option or we risk rejection of our Child's sponsor application as it would be difficult for Her to prove she could financially support the child by Herself without my support. Would Her financial capability be reviewed when She applies to Sponsor?

Also, if I am outside the country for more than 1 month within the first 183 days immediately after I began living in Ontario, I believe my OHIP coverage would be cancelled? In that case, Do I immediately become eligible to reapply after entering Canada again or there are any complications/risk of my request getting denied?

Please advise.

Thank You @scylla!
If you are going to be out of Ontario for over a month in the first 6 months you never qualified for OHIP and so you shouldn’t apply. In terms of sponsorship it depends on famity finances. The optics are not great if your child got a visa to enter Canada to be in Canada as a family and the the primary breadwinner leaves Canada soon after landing. It creates concerns that you aren’t planning on settling in Canada as a family. It really depends on how long you are actually out of Canada. The shorter the better. When you return I would update your file with your Canadian employment information.

Reactions: can_asp

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Can you receive the Canada Child Benefit for a child who isn't already a PR or citizen? Asking because we hadn't applied for our daughter because her citizenship certificate is still pending so we assumed she wasn't eligible without that proof.

Reactions: skye

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Can you receive the Canada Child Benefit for a child who isn't already a PR or citizen? Asking because we hadn't applied for our daughter because her citizenship certificate is still pending so we assumed she wasn't eligible without that proof.
When I was just on a work permit I had to fill out some forms to get the tax benefits for my son. I do believe it is possible to get most of the tax benefits for your child, but there is some extra work involved.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
When I was just on a work permit I had to fill out some forms to get the tax benefits for my son. I do believe it is possible to get most of the tax benefits for your child, but there is some extra work involved.
Interesting. We'll have to look into that. Thanks! My husband is a citizen and I'm a PR so we'll see. Baby was born outside Canada and the citizenship certificates for kids born to citizens outside the country are super backed up.

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Thank You @canuck78!

Points you have highlighted really makes sense and I really wish not having to leave Canada for 1-2 months while my Child's PR sponsorship application is applied. I can understand that this in addition to securing my Child's sponsorship application would also retain my OHIP status.

Unfortunately, I have already applied and got the OHIP coverage. It's my bad that I could have waited before I leave and re-enter Canada. I will now try to be in Ontario for at least 153 days since I began living in the province. In an unforeseen emergency, if I have to leave abroad for more than 1 month(and less than 2 months) and lose my OHIP eligibility, would I be able to reapply for it after I reenter Ontario? off course after serving the minimum waiting period(if it is reinstated) applicable at that point of time.

Regarding my wife sponsoring the child, instead of me who is the primary breadwinner of the family, I would anyways be taking care of their expenses even when I am not the sponsor. So I am wondering, if it would even be a recommended option to let my wife sponsor the child instead of me. Had I not foreseen a situation which would require me to be out of the country for 1-2 months, I wouldn't even be exploring all these options and would have sponsored myself. Not sure if what I am thinking here to reduce risk of my child's sponsor application getting denied would work or is it just going to make my case more risky. Sorry if I am being a naive. But is it suggested that my PR wife sponsor the child here as she doesn't have plans to leave Canada while I take care of the expenses of my wife and child?

Thank You!

If you are going to be out of Ontario for over a month in the first 6 months you never qualified for OHIP and so you shouldn’t apply. In terms of sponsorship it depends on famity finances. The optics are not great if your child got a visa to enter Canada to be in Canada as a family and the the primary breadwinner leaves Canada soon after landing. It creates concerns that you aren’t planning on settling in Canada as a family. It really depends on how long you are actually out of Canada. The shorter the better. When you return I would update your file with your Canadian employment information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank You @canuck78!

Points you have highlighted really makes sense and I really wish not having to leave Canada for 1-2 months while my Child's PR sponsorship application is applied. I can understand that this in addition to securing my Child's sponsorship application would also retain my OHIP status.

Unfortunately, I have already applied and got the OHIP coverage. It's my bad that I could have waited before I leave and re-enter Canada. I will now try to be in Ontario for at least 153 days since I began living in the province. In an unforeseen emergency, if I have to leave abroad for more than 1 month(and less than 2 months) and lose my OHIP eligibility, would I be able to reapply for it after I reenter Ontario? off course after serving the minimum waiting period(if it is reinstated) applicable at that point of time.

Regarding my wife sponsoring the child, instead of me who is the primary breadwinner of the family, I would anyways be taking care of their expenses even when I am not the sponsor. So I am wondering, if it would even be a recommended option to let my wife sponsor the child instead of me. Had I not foreseen a situation which would require me to be out of the country for 1-2 months, I wouldn't even be exploring all these options and would have sponsored myself. Not sure if what I am thinking here to reduce risk of my child's sponsor application getting denied would work or is it just going to make my case more risky. Sorry if I am being a naive. But is it suggested that my PR wife sponsor the child here as she doesn't have plans to leave Canada while I take care of the expenses of my wife and child?

Thank You!
If you don’t plan on being in Ontario for the first 153 days you could be asked to repay any OHIP services you used because you were not entitled to the services. Reapplying isn’t an issue. You reapply again and if the 3 month wait time has returned you’ll need to wait the 3 months. I don’t see how you can sponsor your child if you plan on leaving for 1-2 months. Your wife will be the only one who would qualify to be a sponsor.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Interesting. We'll have to look into that. Thanks! My husband is a citizen and I'm a PR so we'll see. Baby was born outside Canada and the citizenship certificates for kids born to citizens outside the country are super backed up.
I can't speak specifically to your case but suggest you call the government to ask.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-apply.html#additional

Two things that are clear, now that you are a PR and husband citizen you can certainly apply.

That page seems to imply the only thing that's needed additional is the birth certificate and something for your child's entry into Canada (eg trv/stamp at border).

And the additional thing: take the position (because it is correct!) - your child IS a Canadian citizen if born to Canadian-born parent; there can be no basis for denial, only hassle about documents. (I'd state this as your child is a presumptive citizen - the only thing lacking is the confirmation).

(Not an expert but working on this for one of our children).