+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Status versus Visa in Q13 of application form

pltr2021

Jul 30, 2024
Hi,

I had a question on the Q13 of the citizenship application form, "Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada." Description clearly states "Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold", not where you held visas. Per IRCC definition, visa is only a travel entry document and does not give status, while status is what you hold in the country for the duration you are admitted at POE and expires the day you leave.

However, online forums are giving contradictory information. I was hoping if people who have completed application successfully clarify this:
1. If my visa expiry dates are different from actual status dates (e.g. this is very common in US, you will be on valid H1b status but your visa can be expired and requires stamping next time you leave the country), what dates to we provide?
2. What about unused tourist visa? It was never used, so no visitor status held. What do you report here?

Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,

I had a question on the Q13 of the citizenship application form, "Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada." Description clearly states "Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold", not where you held visas. Per IRCC definition, visa is only a travel entry document and does not give status, while status is what you hold in the country for the duration you are admitted at POE and expires the day you leave.

However, online forums are giving contradictory information. I was hoping if people who have completed application successfully clarify this:
1. If my visa expiry dates are different from actual status dates (e.g. this is very common in US, you will be on valid H1b status but your visa can be expired and requires stamping next time you leave the country), what dates to we provide?
2. What about unused tourist visa? It was never used, so no visitor status held. What do you report here?

Thanks
I only mentioned citizenship and PR that I held. No visas.

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018
Hi,

Thanks

Immigration status = Visas (Tourist, Work, Student, Any visa). So, mention all the visas.