+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyers

ok123

Star Member
May 10, 2014
Hi Everyone,

When it comes to preparing for CEC application, did anyone use an immigration lawyer or consultant? Do you find them helpful?

I've hired multiple lawyers to be safe (I'm the overly cautious kind), and all of them keep disappointing me. One of them made multiple big mistakes and spotted out by me. I don't feel I can trust them anymore.

Anyone else have experience in this? Any suggestions on how to find a good lawyer or consultant?

Thanks very much!

tery1461

Star Member
Jun 8, 2014
ok123 said:
Hi Everyone,

When it comes to preparing for CEC application, did anyone use an immigration lawyer or consultant? Do you find them helpful?

I've hired multiple lawyers to be safe (I'm the overly cautious kind), and all of them keep disappointing me. One of them made multiple big mistakes and spotted out by me. I don't feel I can trust them anymore.

Anyone else have experience in this? Any suggestions on how to find a good lawyer or consultant?

Thanks very much!
the process is relatively straight forward, all what you need to know is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp
A lawyer will charge $1,500 ~ $2,500, it took me about a week to put together plus I had to do the CELPIP exam and wait for the official results in the mail. have a look at the information on the site then you will know if you can do it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok123 said:
Hi Everyone,

You seem to have a good grasp of English and have already found mistakes by a lawyer. Best advice: do it yourself. You have the guides, checklists and this forum to answer any questions.

ok123

Star Member
May 10, 2014
Hi Tery,

Thanks very much for your response.

I guess I just wanted extra assurance to give myself a peace of mind. So far all lawyers stress me more than without them.

It is so strange that these immigration lawyers, it seems that all they do is to prepare for immigration applications, and they make the most basic mistakes. That makes me wonder, what do they actually do in their office?

Any suggestions on how to check on your lawyer? I don't usually trust website testimonials since lawyers can hire someone to write and post them.

Any official websites, or agencies that you can get a review on your lawyer?

Thanks very much!

tery1461

Star Member
Jun 8, 2014
ok123 said:
Hi Tery,

Thanks very much for your response.

I guess I just wanted extra assurance to give myself a peace of mind. So far all lawyers stress me more than without them.

It is so strange that these immigration lawyers, it seems that all they do is to prepare for immigration applications, and they make the most basic mistakes. That makes me wonder, what do they actually do in their office?

Any suggestions on how to check on your lawyer? I don't usually trust website testimonials since lawyers can hire someone to write and post them.

Any official websites, or agencies that you can get a review on your lawyer?

Thanks very much!

:D :D I did not use a lawyer, all the information is on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp plus this forum would be able to provide support.

ok123

Star Member
May 10, 2014
Thanks Canucks in UK,

Based on your name, you are living in Vancouver?

I see that you had a successful application, and landed less than a year from the date you filed your application. Did you use a lawyer, or did you prepare everything all by yourself?

Thanks again!

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
ok123 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much!
I will suggest , do it by yourself , untill you have some complicate situation .
Its just wastage of money

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok123 said:
Thanks Canucks in UK,

Based on your name, you are living in Vancouver?

I see that you had a successful application, and landed less than a year from the date you filed your application. Did you use a lawyer, or did you prepare everything all by yourself?

Thanks again!
I'm actually Canadian and I live on Vancouver Island. I sponsored my partner for PR through the Family Class. We did the application ourselves without a lawyer.

Though it was a different category than CEC, the same principle applies. With a through understanding of the English language, you will have no issues going through the guides and checklists and filling out the forms. If you do have questions, this forum is a better source of knowledge than most immigration lawyers or consultants.

I would really advise that you save your money and do the app yourself.

srikanth1

May 28, 2014
I hired a lawyer paying $2500 and now I regret of making that mistake as they are of no use. Since my employer was not giving me a reference letter I was very much confused and hired one. even during application preparation they were of not much help even after they have reviewed the application I did find mistakes.

If I have to talk to them I had to take appoint and they have very restricted time where they take calls I was so pissed of with that as I had to call multiple time to talk to my assigned consultant.

so buddy I would suggest to prepare the application yourself instead of hiring a lawyer.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
With a through understanding of the English language
8)

But yes, anyone who passes the IELTS or CELPIP should have no problem filling out the forms. That said, there are those forum members that highly recommended the lawyers or immigration consultants that they used.

ok123

Star Member
May 10, 2014
I hired a lawyer, but I'm questioning his ability to prepare the application.

Anyone knows if there's a place that we can check on Lawyers' credibility?

Aren't they governed by law society of something?

Thanks a lot!

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
Ok so I used a law firm. I was pleased with the speed of the process although some people who filed after me were several weeks quicker. I waited almost 90 days for my card to arrive after landing.

My conclusion from other people’s experience on the forum is: Processing times depend on CIC and their volume and ability to process and as we've all seen, this can fluctuate quite a bit. Having your documents submitted by a lawyer will not speed it up IMHO. (Provided of course, the documents you submit don’t have any errors in them).

For me it was a no-brainer as instead of paying for a lawyer to handle the third work permit for me eventually, my employer agreed to pay for the PR process which was great - so the only thing I paid was the IELTS test and the medical exam as well as some passport photos. I was also very lucky as they have since changed their policy and don’t do this any more.

I very rarely dealt with a lawyer at the firm, it was usually administrative coordinators at the law firm who provided me with a to do list / check list and the exact forms which were applicable to my situation.
My case was pretty straightforward, and I had very few questions. Knowing what I know now, I could have answered them by reading the CIC website more closely, read the forum and clarify questions on the forum when in doubt.

If I had to do it again, I would do it myself. Whatever you do, there is no replacement for thinking for yourself and reading instructions thoroughly as whether you hire a lawyer or not, nobody is going to do that for you. Seems obvious but with some of the questions on here “pls advise what I need to do to immigrate to Canada (I can’t be bothered to read the CIC website)”, I sometimes think it’s not.

I can fully appreciate that there are people who have a more difficult situation, being with family, difficulties to obtain police clearance from certain countries, previous rejection etc. In such cases, I do believe that a lawyer can make a huge difference if you manage to find a good one for your specific problem. I’d rather pay a lawyer for the consultation than doing the admin process for me.

My advice for anyone wanting to do the application by themselves is to do it, read lots, and just be very diligent in organizing documents and following instructions. The CEC toolkit is a great support for step by step instructions and then of course the forum for most questions if in doubt. Consider making a small donation for the upkeep of the CEC toolkit and giving back to the forum by sharing your experience which can help others.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to everyone!