+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration Lawyers and consultants

TammyW

Nov 19, 2014
hello: I'm a Canadian live in Mexico married to a Mexican. We are working on his PR and I am sponsoring him under spousal sponsorship.

What if any experience has anyone had with consultants and lawyers. I had hired and paid a retainer to an attorney in my hometown of Regina. I fired him yesterday and getting a refund on my retainer. Reason incompetent. He had no clue how to handle an Outland spousal sponsored visa for a Mexican citizen.

He was insistent in needed a Cosigner which you cannot have on a spousal visa
Photo request were wrong - said needed 2 passport type when guide for Mexicans says not passport type gave details on photo requirements and need 8
Wrong guide and forms used. Did not use the guide for sponsored Mexicans
Didn't include needed a medical or how I found out how on CIC site along with panel docs names
Wrong info on criminal records process found out through the guide myself
No clue about translation read up and translator brought up the affidavit. Still working in this

Has anyone else ran into this type of thing or similar? I'm going on my own now as I don't have confidence that they can do the job. This forum is a big help.

Thanks everyone.
:)

gabss

Nov 19, 2014
Hey I am in a similar case Im still in Canada we saw a lawyer she said dont go outland Mexico City is very tricky just Inland because you are here, then I made a lot of questions to her and she confess never in her life had a case in mexico.

Do it by yourself. Im gonna start the process in january Im filling the forms now I got a trasnlator to do my birth and marriage certificate.
Criminal records acoording CIC is after you send the app and medical exams along with your app.

Print all the forms but one day before you send the papers check again the forms because CIC is very tricky too always changing the forms.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
gabss said:
Hey I am in a similar case Im still in Canada we saw a lawyer she said dont go outland Mexico City is very tricky just Inland because you are here, then I made a lot of questions to her and she confess never in her life had a case in mexico.

Do it by yourself. Im gonna start the process in january Im filling the forms now I got a trasnlator to do my birth and marriage certificate.
Criminal records acoording CIC is after you send the app and medical exams along with your app.

Print all the forms but one day before you send the papers check again the forms because CIC is very tricky too always changing the forms.
Do it by yourself is a better approach and most of the applicants choose this approach to submit their applications if they have no complicated issues in their case.
It is very easy as CIC has a lot of guidelines available and covers almost all the aspects and tips needed to submit a successful/error free application. just do a good research, read and pay attention to every mentioned point in the application guideline. and the best part is a lot of people here to help you out who are in similar situation as yours or experienced in most of the issues an applicant faces.
-Thumb rule is carefully follow the instructions provided by CIC.
-go through this forum in detail and make a checklist of all the common mistakes made by people here. (so that you address them in advance) e.g form validity, photograph type, signature, form filling, correct fees etc..(there is ton of information here).
-Prepare all your documents as requested by cic
Still to hire a lawyer or a consultants is your personal choice and off course they are the experts. but before hiring a representative know him, get people ratings for him, talk and talk to him, discuss all the issues..
Good luck and hope it helps