+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating from the US

faylen

Jul 21, 2009
Hi all!

I've been reading up on older threads hoping to find some similar situation, but unfortunately, I haven't. So basically, we'd like to find out how we can immigrate to Canada from the US. There are a couple of scenarios we're considering... any inputs/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-myself (US/CANADIAN citizen/full-time stay at home mom)
-spouse (US citizen) ----- the one that needs to be sponsored
-children (US/CANADIAN citizen/all minor)

1. Are we allowed to use his income since he's the only one working?
For a routine application, approximately how long will it take (from the very first paper work to getting visa) before he gets approved if I sponsor from the US?

2. If we are in the middle of the sponsorship while being processed, and decide to move to Canada (him continuously working in the US, but living across the border), how will this affect his application? Or is this even allowed?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
For spousal sponsorships there is no minimum income requirement. Only if your kids had kids of their owns would income come into play. You would be applying through Buffalo and depending on your location would get transferred to another office in the US or stay in Buffalo.

Moving to the US all of you with a PR application in process MIGHT not be advisable as they may deny you at the border. But if its just you and your kids going there wont be an issue. The processes are generally fast for US applicants and with enough evidence and support you will have no issues and he would be in Canada faster then applying in Canada. I am not sure about the daily ins and outs of working in the US and living in Canada especially with a PR application in process. I'm sure PMM or Leon can advise for this. But really it isn't a long process if it is a standard non issue application.

Best of luck to you.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
To answer your questions about processing time. There is a processing time line posted on www.cic.gc.ca. In our case (out-land US via Buffalo fwd to Detroit) it took about 90 days from the day we sent the sponsorship application until we got the PR. As long as you make sure you submitt all the documents, photos etc and fill out the application correct it shouldn't take very long.

If your file outland application the applicant can travel to and visit Canada (I travelled to Canada once a week while my application was processed in Buffalo). However, the applicant can "move" there and permanently stay in Canada while waitning for PR application to be processed.

Good luck

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
With regard to your first question, we have similar facts as you - I am a US citizen, my husband and kids have both US and Canadian citizenship. My husband (the sponsor) is a stay at home parent and I (the person being sponsored) works full time. Our application is in process, but we did recieve word that his sponsorship of me was approved. We were just very clear in the documents to show our household income, his level of education (i.e., to show that he is employable, we just chose this arrangement now while kids are young) and also showing that he is joint owner on bank accounts, house, etc.

The sponsorship was approved in what seems to be a pretty standard amount of time.

Good luck

faylen

Jul 21, 2009
Boncuk, GK & dfb::: Thank you for replying. I think I'll start gathering up all the documents to get this ball rolling. Great forum. Love it already =)