+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5589E - Proof of relationship to sponsor

yakman23

May 17, 2015
Question 7 talks of proof of relationship to sponsor -

Are you and your common law partner currently living together?

My partner and I are currently living together and have been for over 2 years. However we live at my partner's moms house as we're typical millennials and it's cheaper for us to live with her mom that us move out.

Therefore, we both have plenty of important documents sent to the same address. However, the rental agreement and all utilities are in her mom's name.

The question says that you need to provide 2/3 of the following - a rental agreement (joint), Proof of joint utilities, important documents showing the same address.

The last point isn't a problem, but what should we do about providing one or other of the two? I don't think changing the rental agreement is possible and we're hoping to submit the application shortly, so even if we changed the utilities into our name, it would only be for a month or two and isn't ideal.

What should we do? Thx!

neftis

Jan 11, 2017
I would just show that it's on her mother's name, and add a notarized letter from her mother talking about your relationship and that you guys are living with her. Nothing wrong with that, I think.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yakman23 said:
Question 7 talks of proof of relationship to sponsor -

Are you and your common law partner currently living together?

My partner and I are currently living together and have been for over 2 years. However we live at my partner's moms house as we're typical millennials and it's cheaper for us to live with her mom that us move out.

Therefore, we both have plenty of important documents sent to the same address. However, the rental agreement and all utilities are in her mom's name.

The question says that you need to provide 2/3 of the following - a rental agreement (joint), Proof of joint utilities, important documents showing the same address.

The last point isn't a problem, but what should we do about providing one or other of the two? I don't think changing the rental agreement is possible and we're hoping to submit the application shortly, so even if we changed the utilities into our name, it would only be for a month or two and isn't ideal.

What should we do? Thx!
We have a similar situation. Ask your partner's parent (owner of the house you live in) to write out an Affidavit of Residence mentioning you as residents and also the length of time you two have been cohabiting and the relationship of the home owner with you. Get it signed by the parent along with both your signatures. Notarize it.

additionally, write an explanation on a separate sheet of paper explaining why you cant provide a rental agreement or joint utilities.