+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5669E question & more (quebec sponsorship)

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
Hello everybody,

first and foremost a big thanks to anybody replying to my question.
But first, a small explanation.

My wife is Quebecois, I am a Belgian.
I now reside with my wife (we're married in the meantime) in the province of Quebec since September 2014. I am filling in an Inland Family Sponsorship application.

The problem is now this. Before we moved to Canada, my wife was staying with me in Belgium for a period of one year and a half illegally while I was finishing my studies.

So here's my question; In application IMM 5669E, Question 8: Personal History (for her of the last ten years) - What do I fill in for the year and a half she stayed illegally in Europe? Will this cause trouble in the application?

Hope to hear from somebody soon!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: IMM 5669E question about Personal History

flamand_quebec13 said:
Hello everybody,

first and foremost a big thanks to anybody replying to my question.
But first, a small explanation.

My wife is Quebecois, I am a Belgian.
I now reside with my wife (we're married in the meantime) in the province of Quebec since September 2014. I am filling in an Inland Family Sponsorship application.

The problem is now this. Before we moved to Canada, my wife was staying with me in Belgium for a period of one year and a half illegally while I was finishing my studies.

So here's my question; In application IMM 5669E, Question 8: Personal History (for her of the last ten years) - What do I fill in for the year and a half she stayed illegally in Europe? Will this cause trouble in the application?

Hope to hear from somebody soon!
You must be totally honest with EVERYTHING when completing the forms, including illegal stays in Canada or abroad.

Her overstay in Europe should not be a problem, but not disclosing it could have devastating consequences.

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before

In that case, It's better that I put under "Status" "Illegal", correct?

Also, the government also found out that she did some fraud (she was working long ago secretly a month or two while asking welfare). In the meantime she paid the debt to the government. However she is scared that the mistakes she made in the past might influence the application and cause her not to be eligible as a sponsor.

For now I am the only one working while she recuperates from an accident. I do know Quebec has different standards concerning financial requirements, but it would be nice to hear from others as well what their experience was with that.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

flamand_quebec13 said:
In that case, It's better that I put under "Status" "Illegal", correct?

Also, the government also found out that she did some fraud (she was working long ago secretly a month or two while asking welfare). In the meantime she paid the debt to the government. However she is scared that the mistakes she made in the past might influence the application and cause her not to be eligible as a sponsor.

For now I am the only one working while she recuperates from an accident. I do know Quebec has different standards concerning financial requirements, but it would be nice to hear from others as well what their experience was with that.
I believe the proper format for that question would be: Status- Out of status, rather than `Illegal'.

Was she ever charged with fraud? I don't know if that would be something that prevents a sponsor from being approved, as CIC seems to focus more on the applicant. The threshold for a sponsor approval seems to be pretty low. As long as she is not currently on welfare, this may be a non-issue, but...I'm sure others will offer their opinions as well.

I'll defer the province specific question to those that are in Quebec.

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
No she was never charged, but still had her debt she needed to pay. They called it money not declared I think.

In any case, I am doing Inland application for permanent residence because it seems I can have a work permit beforehand while my application is being processed.
I just wonder as well if I need to change my residency address in Belgium (which is under my parents) to the one I have here in Canada? (as I am doing an "Inland" application after all)

The reason for me asking is that I would prefer to keep the residency address in Belgium under my parents as this way I can keep my insurance from there instead of paying a lot for a private insurance here.

If I have to change my residency address to the one here in Canada, does anybody known some good and affordable private insurance companies?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful, because using an address abroad that is not really yours could be seen as insurance fraud...especially if you needed to submit a claim.

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
We have talked to the insurance before I left to Canada, and as long as my residency address is the same as the one that my parents have, everything is OK regarding my Belgian insurance.

The moment I change my address to one that is abroad, it is indeed considered fraud and I'll have to notify my insurance first beforehand.

The question is more concerning the Inland application if it desires for the applicant to have a residency address in Canada, recognized by his native country as well. In that case I'll have to look for a private insurance here.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
Have you looked to see how long the average, straight-forward case for Belgians takes in the Outland process? Check the Paris thread for other people from a similar European background. Because if your case is straight-forward, it can happen rather quickly, possibly within a year. The Paris office is taking 8 months on average to complete 80% of their cases for step 2 (applicant review that happens after step 1 which is sponsor approval).

Please check this page for current processing times: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

Inland is currently at 25 months. That seems to be a lot more than 85 days + 8 months.

Neither an Inland application nor an Open Work Permit will guarantee you the right of reentry (that's only for citizens and permanent residents). That's a long time to deal with the stress of wondering if you can visit your family in Belgium or not...

Please read this thread: Hands down the most often asked question from Inland applicants

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
I was originally going for the Outland application, until I read that with the Inland I could have a work permit faster than my Outland application would get processed.

Not only that, with an Inland application the chance is there that the VISA office of Paris could request me for an interview. In which I'll have to fly to Paris, and that is not exactly cheap.

Pffff, why is it so complicated?

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
So even if I am married to my wife (who is Canadian), and I do get an open work permit before the work permit of IEC expires. It might be that I am still not eligible to remain in Canada?

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
Oh now I understand, I can stay here and work with the work permit. But because it is an Inland application, I am not allowed to leave the country under any cirumstances as otherwise my application would be denied. (or something like that).

Concerning my family, they are more planning to visit us rather than me visiting them. Even though 2 years is a long period, I don't want to lose the job I currently have and continue working to support my family.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
You can always leave Canada (there's no exit control).

The problem with leaving while CIC is processing your Inland application is the risk that you won't be allowed back in by CBSA which is a different agency. No one can tell you that you will able to re-enter Canada without any risk or problem. Only Canadian citizens and people who already have PR have right of reentry. So who decides if you get to come back to Canada if you decide to leave for vacation or any family emergency?

It is up to the individual CBSA agent, and whatever their guidelines, rules, and individual interpretation of your visit/purpose/intent/etc.

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
I can assure you, money is an issue right now. Even in case of family emergency, it would be preferably for me to stay here then go back for a two week period in which myself can't do much to change the situation. For ex. a death in the family.

I might sound cold hearted, but I need to think further in the future as well. I was lucky enough to find a stable job and intend to keep it this way for now until my diploma get recognised here and I search for a better work place.

I do still have a couple questions:

- For Inland application, do I need to mention to the country of origin (Belgium) that my residence address is now in Canada?
- If yes to the above question, what are the best private (and preferably affordable) private insurances in Quebec? I only need it for short term as my work will give me an insurance as soon as I have worked 1 year for them (which will be in 8 months)
- Concerning IMM 5669 Question 8 Personal History; my wife doesn't remember everything she did in the 10 year period ( she did a lot of different jobs, studies, and so on). How much does the CIC find this important? Also, I thought perhaps to ask the government department that has her taxes and see what she has declared in order to help me.

Thanks already to Surleplateau and ponga for replying to my questions so far, thanks to you I know more and more and it is definitely assisting me in the process.

flamand_quebec13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Montréal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
Med's Request
Done before
Hello,

Just want to put this post back to attention as I still have some questions regarding my inland family sponsorship;

- For Inland application, do I need to mention to the country of origin (Belgium) that my residence address is now in Canada?
- If yes to the above question, what are the best private (and preferably affordable) private insurances in Quebec? I only need it for short term as my work will give me an insurance as soon as I have worked 1 year for them (which will be in 8 months)
- Concerning IMM 5669 Question 8 Personal History; my wife doesn't remember everything she did in the 10 year period ( she did a lot of different jobs, studies, and so on). How much does the CIC find this important? Also, I thought perhaps to ask the government department that has her taxes and see what she has declared in order to help me.
- Concerning IMM 5669 Question 12; My wife moved to a lot of different places. More than she count on her fingers. How important is it for the CIC to account for all the places she used to live?

I thank you already for reading and answering my questions. :)