+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5645 Family Information... is this required for a minor?

happymama

Jun 26, 2013
My step-daughter, who is a minor at 15 yrs of age recently submitted a TRV application to come visit us over the summer holidays. I read over the guide and told her that she didn't need to complete the Family Information form because as per the CIC website it states as follows:

Who needs to complete this form?

This form must be completed by each person, 18 years of age or older, applying for a Temporary Resident Visa, a study or work permit outside Canada

At the Canadian Embassy when she went to submit her application, they reviewed her documents and explained that the IMM 5645 needed to be completed. It ended up being a simple fix with them allowing it to be completed and on the spot (with her mother signing) so that she can submit it and get the processing started.

All that being said, I'm wondering if I misread CIC's instructions? Do minor's applying need to submit this form? I'm a bit confused...

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
happymama said:
All that being said, I'm wondering if I misread CIC's instructions? Do minor's applying need to submit this form? I'm a bit confused...
It is an example of how instructions in the applications forms and guides do sometimes contradict themselves and confuse the applicants. As you mentioned in the guide (IMM 5256), it states:

Who needs to complete this form?
This form must be completed by each person, 18 years of age or older, applying for a Temporary Resident Visa, a study or work permit outside Canada

However in IMM 5484 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.pdf)
Completed Family Information(IMM 5645), if applicable.
Note: Complete this form only if it is required by the responsible visa office for your region

Likely the embassy invoked IMM5645 as a requirement for applications in that region.

.../hth

happymama

Jun 26, 2013
Regina said:
Let her fill it. Why is this a problem?
Regina I'm not sure if this was addressed to me but there is no problem - she complied and the form was completed and submitted the following day. What was confusing was that the guide on the CIC website states that the form is only required for applicants 18 yrs of age or older and yet the embassy in her home country said it was required.

Contradictory, that's all, and I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered the same problem before.