+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5532 Before this relationship, was your sponsor related to you in any way?

nodle0321

Aug 22, 2018
My husband 's (the sponsor) sister in law is my cousin, (his brother' s wife is my cousin Do i need to include it in the question "before this relationship, was your sponsor related to you anyway?" in part B. Form imm 5532.

If yes, there is a table to list down the names, birthdate, relationship. Do i need to list the name of my cousin,, relationship cousin, then in 2nd line her name again then Relationship, sister in law ?? Thankssssssssss so confusing......

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
The question in IMM5532....Part B...Q1...ask.....

Before this relationship, was your sponsor related to you in any way, e.g.,
  • Your sponsor was related to a member of your family.
  • Your sponsor family member was related to you or a member of your family.
Family members
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

You and your husband brother's wife are related as cousins.......but in IRCC context, family member really does not include cousins......but its good to be be honest with IRCC......so its kind of confusing......considering the examples.....

I may be wrong but....

Your sponsor's brother is not related to you or your cousin or any member of your family.
Your sponsor (i.e. your husband) is not related to you or your cousin or any member of your family.
Your brother-in-law is married to your cousin does not make your brother-in-law or your husband to be related to you or your cousin.

you may also include a note to explain.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
You may answer no.....and maybe if you like also include a note to explain about your brother in law and cousin.