+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 0008 - DEPENDANT SECTION - The kids are Canadian Citizen already.

Totonium

Dec 7, 2016
Hi All I have a question for you guys?

On the IMM 0008 DEPEDENT SECTION - it says that all kids have to be listed but the kids are already Canadian Citizens by descent with passports and everything... Do they need to be listed there? Since in the instruction says:

I already filled the IMM008 but at the it says something about Dependants and I have no kids with my partner so for sure I don't have to add those, but he is my common-law and my sponsor too, so do I have to add him as a dependant? Also it says: You must provide the following details about each of your family members whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law, partner if applicable , and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common.law partner, who are not already permanent residents or Citizens of Canada.

So that means do not include them?

Totonium

Dec 7, 2016
I am going to answer my own question for future references for all in the forum. The answer is NOT. Do not include dependents who are already Canadian Citizens Or Permanent Residents. I check with CIC and also talked to a lawyer who charge me for consultation, yeah sure, he gave me extra tips but in a nut shell, In the IMM 0008 Dependent sections just leave it in blank if all your dependents are already Citizens or Permanent Residents.

Reactions: UoW111

roverbon

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
I am going to answer my own question for future references for all in the forum. The answer is NOT. Do not include dependents who are already Canadian Citizens Or Permanent Residents. I check with CIC and also talked to a lawyer who charge me for consultation, yeah sure, he gave me extra tips but in a nut shell, In the IMM 0008 Dependent sections just leave it in blank if all your dependents are already Citizens or Permanent Residents.
GOOD TO KNOW. THANKS

w1d3

Nov 9, 2020
I believe there is now a change in the instructions, in the online version of IMM 0008 (which is a web form, not a pdf form):
You must provide details about each of your family members, whether
they will come with you to Canada or not. You must list all your children
even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada).

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
I believe there is now a change in the instructions, in the online version of IMM 0008 (which is a web form, not a pdf form):
Where is this mentioned in the online imm008 it says not to include Canadian citizens and pr

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Where is this mentioned in the online imm008 it says not to include Canadian citizens and pr
Trust my own experience, don't ever include citizens or PR children in IMM 0008. Mine got returned due to including my citizen son by error... The only place to include citizen children is in IMM 5406 (Additional family Informations)

Reactions: armoured

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Trust my own experience, don't ever include citizens or PR children in IMM 0008. Mine got returned due to including my citizen son by error... The only place to include citizen children is in IMM 5406 (Additional family Informations)
Awesome thanks my friend . I will not include my Canadian child and just include the non Canadian child and spouse

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Awesome thanks my friend . I will not include my Canadian child and just include the non Canadian child and spouse
While this absolutely should not be necessary, they have gloriously messed up the instructions and IRCC staff sometimes seem confused (eg contradictory requests, etc): therefore I'd suggest a SHORT letter of explanation that children who are citizens or PRs are NOT on the IMM0008 but are on the family information form.

[This should be obvious to them but IMM008 is for APPLICANTS, and it is/would be absurd to apply for PR status for a child who is already a PR or citizen.]

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
While this absolutely should not be necessary, they have gloriously messed up the instructions and IRCC staff sometimes seem confused (eg contradictory requests, etc): therefore I'd suggest a SHORT letter of explanation that children who are citizens or PRs are NOT on the IMM0008 but are on the family information form.

[This should be obvious to them but IMM008 is for APPLICANTS, and it is/would be absurd to apply for PR status for a child who is already a PR or citizen.]
Yes absolutely! They rejected mine, but not rejected because I filled IMM0008 wrong per se but they noticed my citizen son is included so they requested missing documents (passport, birth certificate, a few forms as he is over 18 years old, etc) which tell me they are indeed confused with that fact. By removing my son from IMM0008 and updating some forms, it went thru fine this time.

Reactions: armoured

leiannev

Dec 12, 2023
Hi! Since you didn't include your child in the dependents section on IMM 0008, on question #3 what did you answer on the question that says " How many family member, including you, are in this application?" Did you end up writing 3 or 4 for example depending on how many you guys are in the family including you, your spouse and your child/children?

In my case my husband is the principal applicant, I'm the sponsor and we have a child together that is a Canadian citizen and I'm a Canadian citizen as well, so does he put 3, right? And as for dependents, I have to leave my child out in the dependents sections since my child is Canadian citizen?

Last edited: