+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Im unemployed, can I still apply for PR under CEC?

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello,
I need your help.

I came to Canada in 2010 on a 1 year student visa then received my PGWP for 1 year and was immediately employed, then my employer applied for the LMO for me and now I have a closed work permit until September 2014.

I have worked full time in the correct NOC code since 2 full years.

But last week I was laid off from my work and now I am unemployed.

I have my English test this month and soon after that I would like to apply for my PR.

Will there be a problem in my PR application since I am currently unemployed?

Please advice.

Thank you so much.

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does not matter if u r currently unemployed. You should be able to prove your qualifying exp for cec

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you so much yahoo.

I am just very skeptical about these things and I don't want to make a mistake.

I do have 2 full years experience in NOC O and A and I know that the work requirement has changed to 1 year instead of 2.

I am trying to find out if I can find information about this on any of the government websites so that I can have peace of mind once I see it in black and white.

Please advice.

Thank you much.[/b]

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take piece of mind from what Yahoo is saying, he is correct.

You wont find information on it really because CEC is not based on your current employment status, it's based on your past employment. You could leave Canada today and apply for CEC from your home country, it doesn't make a difference.

If you have two years of 0 and A experience and meet all the other requirements (clear police history, english ability etc) you are good to go.

Good luck with your application.

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
JSM0085,
Thank you so much for confirming Yahoo's reply to my post.

I have my English exams this month and I am slowly beginning to place my papers and documents together for the PR application.

In my current situation is there anything else that I need to be aware of.

Please advice.

Thank you much

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jake21 said:
JSM0085,
Thank you so much for confirming Yahoo's reply to my post.

I have my English exams this month and I am slowly beginning to place my papers and documents together for the PR application.

Please advice.

Thank you much
I don't think so. You should be fine.

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you JSM0085 you have been so kind.

I guess that the only thing I should be focusing on is getting my documents together and looking out for a new employer who could re-do my LMO as the one that I have is a closed work permit from the previous employer valid until Sept 2014.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jake21 said:
Thank you JSM0085 you have been so kind.

I guess that the only thing I should be focusing on is getting my documents together and looking out for a new employer who could re-do my LMO as the one that I have is a closed work permit from the previous employer valid until Sept 2014.
That is your best shot! Good luck! :)

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you JSM0085,

While I am unemployed I am eligible for EI, and I know that there is a clause on the application that ask you if you are employed or unemployed and whether or not you are on EI.

1) It is not going to make a difference if I tick "unemployed" as long as I have more than 1 year's NOC O and A work experience. Right?

and

2) If I answer in the affirmative that I am on EI will this pose as a complication for the approval of my PR? or should I wait to send off my documents for my PR and then apply for EI?

In anyways, I am sure I will not be applying for EI as I am positive I am going to find a job before that, but, I just needed some clarifications.

Please advice.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jake21 said:
Thank you JSM0085,

While I am unemployed I am eligible for EI, and I know that there is a clause on the application that ask you if you are employed or unemployed and whether or not you are on EI.

1) It is not going to make a difference if I tick "unemployed" as long as I have more than 1 year's NOC O and A work experience. Right?

and

2) If I answer in the affirmative that I am on EI will this pose as a complication for the approval of my PR? or should I wait to send off my documents for my PR and then apply for EI?

In anyways, I am sure I will not be applying for EI as I am positive I am going to find a job before that, but, I just needed some clarifications.

Please advice.
No. And I don't recall anything on the forms asking about EI.

BK11

Aug 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2015
Nomination.....
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
Done already
Med's Done....
13-03-2015
Hi Guys,

When I was on open work permit, I took two jobs at the same time, one was skilled and other was non-skilled. Now, i am gonna apply for CEC, do I need to send pay stubs and T4 for that non-skilled work? I will for sure send all the required docs for skilled experience. I ll appreciate if anyone can suggest me :) thanks

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
BK11 said:
Hi Guys,

When I was on open work permit, I took two jobs at the same time, one was skilled and other was non-skilled. Now, i am gonna apply for CEC, do I need to send pay stubs and T4 for that non-skilled work? I will for sure send all the required docs for skilled experience. I ll appreciate if anyone can suggest me :) thanks
you send the skilled one Sir.

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
jake21 said:

simply dont forget to get from your employer the letter of your employment that states the duration of employment and describes the duties and responsibilities.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
jake21 said:
Thank you JSM0085,

and

Please advice.
jake21 it doesn't matter at all if ur employed or no as long as u meet the criteria. Im under the same umbrella here, I studied for a year in 2010. Worked for another year on PGWP and then moved to a new job with an LMO and was laid off in 6 months. So my total skilled experience was 1.6 years. And I filed my pr last month and im on EI right now and I also received my AOR last week.
I don't recollect anything on the application mentioning EI, make sure ur filling the CEC PR application only and not the EI application and sending it to NS. Lolll hahah
Kiddin

Winterfox

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Oh n one more thing, It was and still is extremely difficult for me to find another employer whos willing to give me an LMO, its infact next to impossible even though Ive got good work ex in good sectors. So I decided I would simply apply for bridging open work permit, even though I guess im not eligible, BUT HEY how would I know if I am not willing to take the risk, so I wrote a nice cover letter explaining the case to processing officer telling him/her how tough it is for a foreign worker inside Canada to get an LMO based job.
FIngers crossed, only time will tell if I get a BOWP or a rejection.

Cheers
Winterfox