+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If you are being sponsored, can leave Canada and then come back?

fabioadias

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro Brasil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-12-2014
Med's Request
30-12-2014
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2015
Guys,
I have PR and am applying for my wife's sponsor soon. She plans on going to our home country to visit her family later this year or maybe to go the US to visit friends.

Would you say she might run into trouble leaving Canada and then re-entering the country while her sponsorship process is ongoing? We can't seem to find the answer for these questions.

Thank you!

M

mikeymyke

Applying outland: Can leave and re-enter Canada without affecting sponsorship.
Applying inland: Generally should remain in Canada for the entire duration of the sponsorship, which is typically almost 2 years.

Beware that although leaving Canada for a couple weeks is fine on an inland sponsorship, should she be denied entry into Canada for whatever reason, the entire application will be refused.

jcooper

Jan 22, 2016
I'm being sponsored inland, and when we received my extended visitor record at the border, we asked the border guards what they recommended in terms of traveling outside of the country. They said as long as I have my visitor record in my passport with me when I travel, I should have no problem leaving and entering Canada whenever I want. Since then I have traveled to the US multiple times and have had no problem.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jcooper said:
I'm being sponsored inland, and when we received my extended visitor record at the border, we asked the border guards what they recommended in terms of traveling outside of the country. They said as long as I have my visitor record in my passport with me when I travel, I should have no problem leaving and entering Canada whenever I want. Since then I have traveled to the US multiple times and have had no problem.
don't you need a visa to go to the U.S ? as most U.S Visa exempt countries are also Canada exempt ?

janicebunny

Sep 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
HKVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
30-03-2016
Med's Done....
27-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
06-11-2016
why was I told if I leave Canada, I cannot come back?

I am being sponsored OUTLAND, but I am physically in Canada. I was told after my work permit is expired, I can apply for a visitor status, but the thing is that I cannot leave Canada whatsoever.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
janicebunny said:

I am being sponsored OUTLAND, but I am physically in Canada. I was told after my work permit is expired, I can apply for a visitor status, but the thing is that I cannot leave Canada whatsoever.
You can certainly leave. If you leave - it's certainly possible you may be allowed to re-enter. However it's also possible you may not be able to re-enter (up to the CBSA official you encounter at the border). If you aren't able to re-enter, this effectively cancels your inland application and you would have to start the process again from scratch using the outland process. So it's not that you can't leave - but doing so carries risk.

jcooper

Jan 22, 2016
TANMEX said:
don't you need a visa to go to the U.S ? as most U.S Visa exempt countries are also Canada exempt ?
I'm a US citizen. I needed an extended visitor record in order to stay in Canada legally longer than 6 months, and also to allow me to travel outside of Canada and come back with no problems. Getting the extended visitor record meant that CBSA checked my background and documents almost as extensively as CIC would, meaning that when I travel back into Canada, other border guards rarely question me because they know that I've passed certain requirements already.

janicebunny said:

If you have legitimate status in Canada- even as a visitor with an extended visitor record, there is little reason for them to deny you entry to canada.
The problem with leaving canada would be if they deny you entry, they technically consider your PR app as void. You can avoid almost any possibility of being denied entry if you are able to get a legitimate visa, or an extended visitor record...
I was very concerned about this happening to me, and was therefore very hesitant about applying inland based on the fact that I had to travel back and forth to the US to visit sick family members. I've spoken to a number of CBSA officers and a CIC agent about my options, and they were all pretty great about explaining that to me.

janicebunny

Sep 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
HKVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
30-03-2016
Med's Done....
27-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
06-11-2016
scylla said:
You can certainly leave. If you leave - it's certainly possible you may be allowed to re-enter. However it's also possible you may not be able to re-enter (up to the CBSA official you encounter at the border). If you aren't able to re-enter, this effectively cancels your inland application and you would have to start the process again from scratch using the outland process. So it's not that you can't leave - but doing so carries risk.
But I already applied as OUTLAND. My application got transferred to Hong Kong, my concern now is once I leave Canada to go to interview (hopefully waived) in Hong Kong, can I come back in Canada? My status at that time will be visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
janicebunny said:
But I already applied as OUTLAND. My application got transferred to Hong Kong, my concern now is once I leave Canada to go to interview (hopefully waived) in Hong Kong, can I come back in Canada? My status at that time will be visitor.
If you already have a valid TRV, you should have no issues re-entering Canada. If you don't have a TRV and you apply for one from China, there is a good chance of refusal because of the PR app.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Since you are from Hong Kong, you do not need a TRV to enter Canada (in most cases): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

So if you go to Hong Kong, then want to come back to Canada, you should be able to. Bring proof of your PR application, and any proof you have of ties to Hong Kong. Be clear that you are just visiting Canada while your PR application is being processed. People in this type of situation are usually let in.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadianwoman said:
Since you are from Hong Kong, you do not need a TRV to enter Canada (in most cases): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

So if you go to Hong Kong, then want to come back to Canada, you should be able to. Bring proof of your PR application, and any proof you have of ties to Hong Kong. Be clear that you are just visiting Canada while your PR application is being processed. People in this type of situation are usually let in.
As per previous posts, she is from China, not Hong Kong, so a TRV is most definitely necessary.

Hong Kong now processes all Chinese PR apps.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Oh, OK. Well, then you will need a TRV to get back into Canada. Applications for these are often refused when the person is also applying for a PR visa, though a few people on the forum have managed to get one in these circumstances.

If you are called to an interview in Hong Kong, you can try applying for a TRV to get back into Canada, but realistically I would prepare for a refusal. However, the decision should come fairly quickly after the interview, so you may not have to wait outside of Canada for long.

janicebunny

Sep 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
HKVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
30-03-2016
Med's Done....
27-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
06-11-2016
canadianwoman said:
Oh, OK. Well, then you will need a TRV to get back into Canada. Applications for these are often refused when the person is also applying for a PR visa, though a few people on the forum have managed to get one in these circumstances.

If you are called to an interview in Hong Kong, you can try applying for a TRV to get back into Canada, but realistically I would prepare for a refusal. However, the decision should come fairly quickly after the interview, so you may not have to wait outside of Canada for long.
Thank you!