+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if study visa refused before marriage, can PR be refused??

Help Me

Mar 26, 2008
Hi,

I just have a quick question and i hope someone can help me.
I recently got married and wanted to move to Canada with my husband. I am Canadian-Egyptian and he's Egyptian, was born in Saudia Arabia, but didnt live there long. He had applied for a study visa about 4 years ago and it was refused. Does this mean he will be refused permanent residence? Will it affect our chances of moving back? We've been married for 2 years now and have everything needed to prove our relationship. Also, he had applied to study in Edmonton,Alberta, which is suprisingly, my place of residence. Should i apply or is it a waste of time... I need help, please. Im very worried. :(

Help Me

Mar 26, 2008
So, the topic itself wont even be brought up during the process?
Is it better if we tell them beforehand, or it just wont matter no matter what?

NAZ78

Mar 23, 2008
I cannot recall where if any on the sponsorship application forms they ask about prior visas, but if any, you should list the details of his prior visa application. At all cases, your sponsorship application will not be affected by his prior student visa refusal.

Can_Zim

Mar 3, 2008
hi there,

applying for a study visa means applying for TEMPORARY entrance into canada (a hard thing to do for MANY people-especially from developing countries). applying for permanent residency through spousal sponsorship is applying for PERMANENT status in Canada. this difference means that the immigration officer has to examine different factors in the case. they will no longer be looking at if the applicant can prove they will return to their home country, but how 'real' the relationship is.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think many people's spouses get denied temporary entrance to canada but are successful getting permanent residency. it's very hard for a lot of people to prove they will return to their home country in order to get a temp. visa (study/work/holiday) but it can be easier to prove your relationship.

if your husband was denied entrance to canada b/c of health or criminal reasons than these will still have a negative effect on his application but otherwise, his study visa denial shouldn't impact your chances.

all the best!
Can_Zim

Help Me

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks Everyone for helping me out. I was very concerned/worried about this issue. I wish you all the best of luck.

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Well,

I am not trying to be bad here but send alot of proof about ur relationship. :) They have the info about ur husband's study permit so if u are asked just say yes and or explain it in a letter. This may affect ur application, if you don't have enough proof. I know of a situation of a person was trying to get a temp visa to be with his fiancee and get married in Canada. The didn't send a lot of proof. Because he had intended to go to Canada, this supported their case more and made them refuse the application. However, if you have lots of proof. Ie don't just send marriage certificate and few photos. Send letters from professionals, etc. I posted a long list of evidance that can be used. Just search my posts and find it.

Fairouz

Help Me

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks, I havent started filling out the application yet. I downloaded it and read through the guides and am preparing all the documents. We both graduated from the same University, different departments, but same university. That is actually the way i got to know him, so i basically know him from way back in 2001, back then we were just friends. I got to know him on a personal basis and fell in love in 2004 we got engaged in 2005 and married in 2006. Does that prove my relationship at all?

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
:)

You were married for two years. :) So they do look at how long u lived together too and if u have lived together. You have to provide proof though. :)
Hopefully everything will go smoothly for u! :)

Good luck!