+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if my dad is a citizen!!!!

asfia

Aug 1, 2009
if my dad is a citizen living in canada for about 10 years then he applies for family class immigration. it took 6 months for them to respond and ask for our passports. how much time do they take for sending the passports back to us with the stamp.?
secondly will i also hav to live in canada for 3 years so that i can get my citizen ship or i'll get it soon on behalf of my dad??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's hard to answer without knowing more about your situation. Was your dad a citizen when you were born? If that is the case, you would already be a citizen and he wouldn't need to sponsor you. Was he also your dad when you were born or is he a step-dad? If he adopted you, he could also apply for your citizenship. If he's your step-dad but he didn't adopt you, you'd have to wait until your mom can apply for citizenship and then she could apply for you too. If he's your dad but he didn't get citizenship before you were born, he can apply for your citizenship as soon as you become PR if you are under 18. If you are over 18, you would have to live in Canada 3 years and then apply yourself.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Leon if my husband will arrive to Canada in November 2009 he needs to wait 3 years before applying for his citizenship or he has to live 1095 days out of 5 years right...
Another question If he came as a visitor before his PR visa would that count as a 1/2 days toward his citizenship???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Residency requirements to keep PR: live in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in any rolling 5 year period, time spent with a Canadian citizenspouse abroad counts as time spent in Canada.

Requirements to apply for citizenship: having physically lived in Canada as a PR for 1095 days in the last 4 years, time spent in Canada before PR counts at 50% discount rate but still has to be within the last 4 years.

asfia

Aug 1, 2009
hez my real dad and yah he got his citizenship after i was born.
means like i am 17 right now and in april i will turn 18 so how much time does it take for me to become a citizen on behalf of my dad before i turn 18.?
is it necessary for me to be in canada or he can apply it there by himself?
and what about my passport question? help me out

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#age you have to be PR before he can apply for your citizenship so you have to get your passport back and go to Canada first. If he applies for your citizenship while you are still 17 but it doesn't come through until you are 18, I really don't know what rules apply. Maybe if the application is made while you are still a minor, you will go through as a minor. If that is the case, you would not have had to live 3 years in Canada and you would not need to take the citizenship test.

If you don't land as a PR until you are 18, you will have to apply by yourself in which case you have to live 3 years in Canada first and then apply and take the test.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What are you worried about? You think immigration will lose your passport? Immigration works at their own speed. Worrying about it will not make it happen sooner. If it turns out that you have to wait 3 years before you can apply for citizenship, I am sure worse things could happen than being stuck living in Canada for 3 years.

Your passport is being kept right now so you can get your PR visa. Once you go to Canada with your PR visa, you become a PR. That means permanent resident. That means you need no other visa to Canada, you can study, work and live anywhere in Canada.

asfia

Aug 1, 2009
what kind of worse things???
and its been more then 3 months to my passports whereas they have given back the passports to other people who applied in 10 days?
and are they giving PR with it as well?
do they give it to all

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What kind of worse things? Well, say if you had to live in Iraq for 3 years or something. That might not be very nice. If you think Canada is so horrible, you don't have to move. Just stay where you are. If your parents are making you do it and you don't want to, wait until you are 18, then you can move back.

If your passports are being taken because your dad applied for your immigration, that means PR. When you apply to immigrate, you apply for permanent residency (PR). If they accept your application, that is what you will get.

asfia

Aug 1, 2009
who said i dont want to move to canada, i really want to. canada is a good place to live in. and i am worried because my passports are not back. its been more then a year we applied for our visa but now the passports are stuck..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you say you can't imagine anything worse than being stuck in Canada for 3 years while waiting for your citizenship, one could assume you are not interested in living in Canada at all.

asfia

Aug 1, 2009
how much time does it take for my passports to come back??
i am really worried

i said this if i am not wrong. have a look. i am worried because i want to go as soon as possible and continue my studies there not this that i am worried about the citizenship. that was another question by the way.