+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I get a federal skilled worker permanent resident - how long to take it up

Etienne

Nov 30, 2008
Hi

I just got back from a skiing holiday to Vancouver (which doubled up as a "look, see and decide" trip to see if we would want to move there from the UK), and we liked it very much so are considering starting the federal skilled worker permanent resident process. Two questions:

1) How long does the new process take (I understand it is pretty new so probably no precedent, but any ideas) as opposed to the old potential 48 month wait

2) If I manage to be successful how long do I have to actually move to Canada. I understand that Australia gives up to 5 years (with some conditions), what is the case with Canada?

Etienne

foreverwaiting

Star Member
Dec 16, 2008
Hi!

1. Could be upto 12 months, but as you said "no precedents."

2. 12 months from the date of your medicals (provided your P/P is not expiring earlier than that).

Etienne

Nov 30, 2008
Sorry, but I have to reactivate this post again.

ANY CLARITY GREATLY APPRECIATED

As far as I understand, I apply for Permanent Res, and as part of that process go through medical and other checks. They then decide to grant me Perm Res (or not). Obviously normal logisics dictates that persons will only sell their belongings and actively start arranging a move to Canada once they have actually been granted Perm Res (not before that). If I have only 12 months to get myself to Canada on a permanent basis, and if that has to happen within 12 months of the medical, that could potentially only leave a very short time to sort out my current life in order to physically move. Makes no sense. OR is it like Australia where you simply need to cross the broder into Canada to activate the visa, after which you have a grace period to sort out your existing live (such as sell house, cars, bla bla bla) to finally move to Canada??? If so, how long is that Grace period?

zednought

Dec 26, 2008
Cambridge, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2008
Doc's Request.
16-06-2009
Med's Request
17-11-2009
Med's Done....
08-12-2009
Passport Req..
04-01-2010
LANDED..........
14-06-2010
Etienne,

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself here. Do you meet the current requirements for FSW Cat 1, or is there some other route you're considering?

In answer to your basic question. Once you've got a PR you usually have about a year to "activate" it. You then have to actually reside in Canada at least two years out of every five.
This is probably similar to Australia, althought I'm not too familiar with their immigration processes.

Etienne

Nov 30, 2008
I do meet the requirements for FSW (well according to my calculations yes). And the reason why I am getting ahead of myself is because we are not only considering Canada as a possible immi option. One of the deciding factors relates to my question. Can you point me to the rules in this regard. So in theory if all goes well, and I can "Activate" the visa withone one year, and come back to my home country and take care of logistics, but make sure I reside in Canada for two years from date of "Activating" the visa, then that would help. But I suppose reading the actual rules in this regard would be best. So if you can point me to wards that, it would be great as I cannot find it on CIC.

zednought

Dec 26, 2008
Cambridge, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2008
Doc's Request.
16-06-2009
Med's Request
17-11-2009
Med's Done....
08-12-2009
Passport Req..
04-01-2010
LANDED..........
14-06-2010
Well it seems as if you've done your research. If your occupation (NOC code) falls into one of the 38 I'd make my application
as soon as possible. Remember the list of 38 might well change. Don't worry about the logistics too much, you'll probably
have a year to do further research. If, and when, you get your PR CIC will advise you of when you need to "land". The rules on
two years out of three came to my attention via an immigration consultant. But again, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once
you're communicating with CHC they'll no doubt be able to provide you with up-to-date and accurate information.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is the link for PR rights and duties: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
and here is a more detailed link for residency requirements: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

So you can activate your PR within the time limit of the visa and after the activation of PR is when the clock starts ticking and you can spend maximum 1095 days outside Canada in that first 5 year period and after that any rolling 5 year period.