+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If conservatives get into power, will the citizenship eligibility period go back to 4 years again?

Feb 29, 2024
I am not worried about myself because I am near my path to citizenship but I was wondering nonetheless. I'm thinking about sponsoring my GF in the future and her passport is from a very weak country. Will we have to wait for four years after her PR so she can finally get a Canadian passport? I'm lost in thoughts.

I know that nobody knows but start throwing your guesses, boys and girls.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am not worried about myself because I am near my path to citizenship but I was wondering nonetheless. I'm thinking about sponsoring my GF in the future and her passport is from a very weak country. Will we have to wait for four years after her PR so she can finally get a Canadian passport? I'm lost in thoughts.

I know that nobody knows but start throwing your guesses, boys and girls.
Sure. It's certainly possible. Conservative governments have consistently implemented more restrictive / strict immigration policies.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The biggest focus right now in term of immigration seems to be the increasing number of temporary immigrants (work permits, students).
I can imagine the Poilievre government will first act on this, not a "strengthening" of the citizenship requirements.
That may come at some point but I'd say not in the first years of a Conservative government. After all, Harper came to power in 2006 if I remember correctly, and his 4 years rule (+ removal of pre-PR credit) only got royal assent in 2014.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
Hi, I am a 'Lost Canadian' and have been in contact with a lot of lawmakers recently in regards to citizenship laws and have watched all the committees in regards to it.

I believe Canada will end birthright citizenship at some point, but first it has other things to worry about. I'm a right winger, so I am for restricting immigration to non-commonwealth countries completely except for very high end business and family.

I think sentiment is rather mixed on how to curb citizenship and visas so for your particular case, I think you are fine. The IRCC is a slow turtle filled with mostly left wing souls. If you are worried about a weak passport can always buy a citizenship in the islands. It's from 175k now, used to be 100k, then can put your mind at ease as you will only need a US visa instead of one anywhere you go.

In any event, there's not going to be a restriction on familial visas ever, so you're chillin'. Just enjoy life and don't worry about the shouting about immigration. I hope you will vote against non-skilled immigration with me in the future as this hurts everyone. Once IRCC is freed up, family sponsorship should reduce in time. When I sponsored my wife to come to the USA abroad it took days only to get the green card from the submission of the application.

Feb 29, 2024
In any event, there's not going to be a restriction on familial visas ever, so you're chillin'. Just enjoy life and don't worry about the shouting about immigration. I hope you will vote against non-skilled immigration with me in the future as this hurts everyone. Once IRCC is freed up, family sponsorship should reduce in time. When I sponsored my wife to come to the USA abroad it took days only to get the green card from the submission of the application.
Many non skilled workers in Canada actually have degrees, and in my case, I also am bilingual (English/French). I wasn't able to find a job in my field of study in Canada and did Uber for almost 2.5 years straight. Now that I've saved up enough money, I am planning to go back to school to become a pharmacy technician. Many FSW workers I know did the same thing as me because you can actually make more money giving Uber rides or driving a truck than working in an office. I don't like people who game the system using student visas, etc but let's not degrade all non skilled workers here. Sometimes these jobs are a stepping stone for other things.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
What the idiots are doing that are protesting is just turning more and more voters off immigration. A once pro immigration country is now turning anti immigrant.
if they wanted to get attention, they’ve done it . The wrong kind of attention.
My MP called me . I’m in a LPC riding now forecast to go blue .

I asked him to explain this

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/justin-trudeau-how-to-fix-the-broken-temporary-foreign-worker-program/article_c27f214f-1fa2-5fdf-af61-5a7642e4eb7c.html

https://www.biv.com/news/economy-law-politics/don-wright-why-did-justin-trudeau-switch-sides-class-struggle-8272635

https://thehub.ca/2024/01/31/prime-minister-trudeau-failed-to-follow-his-own-advice-on-temporary-foreign-workers/

It was a short call

Corrupt to the Core

Reactions: almeida

gaiou37

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Victoria, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow some people are certainly not afraid to express racist views in this thread.... yikes.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
Wow some people are certainly not afraid to express racist views in this thread.... yikes.
chatGPT only found the OPs view potentially racist for describing their spouse as having a weak passport fwiw. I think you are perhaps looking to be offended by anti-immigration views because you assume people are angry at a specific race.

Being against open borders is not racist. Nor is being for open borders tolerant. Personally, I find Canadian as a distinct ethnic group which is inclusive of all Canadians. There is a culture and way of life, not merely a skin tone or racial background. Therefore, it is not necessarily unreasonable to argue that unchecked immigration where nobody assimilates is tantamount to genocide.

So, in my personal opinion, your tone hints at pro-genocidal views, but I'm not offended because you are entitled to your own personal view of what is racist and what isn't. I don't think you should expect that you are part of any plurality or even strong minority with your views though.

gaiou37

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Victoria, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chatGPT only found the OPs view potentially racist for describing their spouse as having a weak passport fwiw. I think you are perhaps looking to be offended by anti-immigration views because you assume people are angry at a specific race.

Being against open borders is not racist. Nor is being for open borders tolerant. Personally, I find Canadian as a distinct ethnic group which is inclusive of all Canadians. There is a culture and way of life, not merely a skin tone or racial background. Therefore, it is not necessarily unreasonable to argue that unchecked immigration where nobody assimilates is tantamount to genocide.

So, in my personal opinion, your tone hints at pro-genocidal views, but I'm not offended because you are entitled to your own personal view of what is racist and what isn't. I don't think you should expect that you are part of any plurality or even strong minority with your views though.
I'm not even going to attempt to address everything that's wrong with your ridiculous comment.
Have a good day!