+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS validity hell

irfannazir

Apr 30, 2009
hey fellows, I don't know how many times this topic would have been discussed but despite hours of searching on google i am totally confused on this matter. Kindly guide me.

I took ielts in september 2007 (which basically was for hsmp but i screwed that up) and now i am preparing for canadian immigration. Question is can I use this score if i apply in May 2009. ielts is valid for two years but lot of forums are screaming that you can't use score older than 1 year. Currently I am calculating my points according to this ielts score.

So the question is can I lodge my initial application in may 2009, hoping that they would require my documents before september 2009 and will accept my ielts score. I am scoring 69 points with this ielts score.

if not should I give ielts before making initial application ( as I have to know whether i'll score enough points on english language ability when documents will be submitted later).

or should i submit initial application and give test when they'll ask to submit documents with confidence that i'll score enough points to hit 67 marks threshold.

what is the true course of action?

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Hi,

First, you cannot use the current IELTS score.

Second, its your choice how you want to proceed. In my case, I took IELTS first, waited for results and than send the initial application. This gave me comfort of knowing how many points I will get in Language.

Regards,

luvcanada

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi !

As in my case I sent my initial application and later cic request me to get the ielts, in either way they can calculate points later on.