+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS this Saturday (28th March)

Member31

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Let's get together and discuss how we are doing for the test.
If anybody has any question, we can raise it here and help each other.

junketsu

Mar 23, 2015
vij123 said:
guys guide me more about reading i want 6 band ..
I got band 8.5 in reading. And it was fairly easy.

They give you a booklet that contains several texts (around 4 - 8 paragraphs each), followed by some questions (5 - 10). The answers to most of the questions usually come in order (the first answer is probably in the first paragraph, the second answer in the second... and so on).

And you got plenty of time.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Member31 said:
How about Writing and Speaking? As I am slightly more concerned about these 2 modules.
Have you practiced?

Member31

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
I had appeared for Academic one around 3 years ago. But, I have not practiced much this time for General. :(

junketsu

Mar 23, 2015
Member31 said:
How about Writing and Speaking? As I am slightly more concerned about these 2 modules.
I got 8.0 in Writing. You have to write two things. The first one was a letter (it can be informal) asking a friend for info about holiday recommendations. The second one is a short essay where you talk about a particular topic (in my case, it was about "what do you think about self-employment vs working for someone else?").

I got 7.0 in Speaking. I believe that Speaking is actually pretty easy (I simply got too nervous and gave ridiculous answers). They first ask you some basic stuff (where do you live, where did you study, why did you study that, etc...). Then you talk for two minutes about some topic (mine was "what place would you like to visit someday and why"). Then they ask you some more complicated questions ("was are some negative effects of tourism?").

Some tips for Speaking:
  • Take your time thinking the answer for your question. They don't care if you pause to think.
  • When they ask you to talk for 2 minutes, they mean it. I lost track of time and ended up with just 1 minute - the interviewer noticed and signaled me to keep talking. This caught me off guard and I think this is what affected me the most in the score.
  • Whenever you give an answer to a question, there is a very good chance that the interviewer will follow-up with "why?". So be ready to justify your answers and avoid giving any answer that comes up your head.

Best of luck!

Member31

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Oh, that's an excellent essay topic.

I am wondering what your conclusion would be in that case. Can we write an essay with partial agreement? Until now, I have written all the essays by either agreeing or disagreeing to it.

junketsu

Mar 23, 2015
Member31 said:
Oh, that's an excellent essay topic.

I am wondering what your conclusion would be in that case. Can we write an essay with partial agreement? Until now, I have written all the essays by either agreeing or disagreeing to it.
Partial agreement is fine. That's what I did with mine.

I simply wrote advantages and disadvantages of both of them. Then explained a bit of my own personal experience. And concluded that "it depends on what sort of person you are - some will do better as self-employed and others will do better working for others".

Remember that they only care that you are capable at writing. You could even fake details.

ksiusha

Jul 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
junketsu said:
I got band 8.5 in reading. And it was fairly easy.

They give you a booklet that contains several texts (around 4 - 8 paragraphs each), followed by some questions (5 - 10). The answers to most of the questions usually come in order (the first answer is probably in the first paragraph, the second answer in the second... and so on).

And you got plenty of time.
Well you don't really have plenty of time, no relaxing ..... one hour flies really fast, so you have to learn skimming and scanning the test...in order to manage to answer all the questions

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How was your experience in listening? I dnt understand why they are giving so tough listening with strange accent.