+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS or CELPIP

smalkawi

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
hi guys

why there is very few people taking the CELPIP ? is it more difficult than IELTS ? any other reason ?

fahadsheikh

Oct 30, 2016
DXB-AE
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
smalkawi said:
hi guys

why there is very few people taking the CELPIP ? is it more difficult than IELTS ? any other reason ?
As per my knowledge, IELTS can be taken anywhere across the globe, while CELPIP is available just in Canada and now in Dubai, UAE.

DonKassem

Mar 25, 2017
I took the CELPIP twice, and i managed to get between CLB8 and 9. However, if time returns back, I will never take this Exam again, and i will definitely take the IELTS. If you're asking which one is easier to study, it's the CELPIP; however, which one is better to score in, it's the IELTS. That's my own personal opinion.

smalkawi said:
hi guys

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
CELPIP speaking is definitely more stressful and there are not enough materials for it. In fact, I feel stupid that I haven't used IELTS speaking tips for it. Overall, they are testing for almost the same thing; how close the person's expressions to that of a native speaker. For other parts, CELPIP is definitely better, even for writing I love typing on a computer since my handwriting is horrendous.

Now, I am registed for IELTS and I think I have made a mistake; I should have retaken CELPIP. The trick to it is to buy practice materials directly from them and they repeat some questions almost word for word or at least very similar.

I got CLB 12 for reading and CLB 11 for listening, they give lots and lots of questions, so even if you miss couple of questions you can still score high. Now I am quite worried even in those sections for IELTS, because they only have 40 questions, you miss 2 and you are off by 0.5 band, definitely more stressful. On top of that you have to fill in yourself and you can easily make a mistake on that. On CELPIP, the answer is there, you just choose.

I believe in CELPIP writing the computer even spellchecks your answer; how cool is that?! I got the equivalent of IELTS 6.5 without any preparation. Now I have prepared a lot, but I am definitely not IELTS 7 material, maybe I am but still you get the point.

Reactions: zionplace

kdeepak003

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
I will not encourage anyone to go with CELPIP. I personally feel its a scam. Their speaking is the worst of all. I scored just 6 in CELPIP speaking while I scored 7.5 in IELTS. This happened to many of my friends too. IELTS is easy besides the fact that you do not have a computer based exam. Give me the benefit of doubt :)

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
kdeepak003 said:
I will not encourage anyone to go with CELPIP. I personally feel its a scam. Their speaking is the worst of all. I scored just 6 in CELPIP speaking while I scored 7.5 in IELTS. This happened to many of my friends too. IELTS is easy besides the fact that you do not have a computer based exam. Give me the benefit of doubt :)
I thought the same. I wonder if we can unite and do something against CELPIP. At least, make them change speaking part.

smalkawi

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
baxa1981 said:
CELPIP speaking is definitely more stressful and there are not enough materials for it. In fact, I feel stupid that I haven't used IELTS speaking tips for it. Overall, they are testing for almost the same thing; how close the person's expressions to that of a native speaker. For other parts, CELPIP is definitely better, even for writing I love typing on a computer since my handwriting is horrendous.

Now, I am registed for IELTS and I think I have made a mistake; I should have retaken CELPIP. The trick to it is to buy practice materials directly from them and they repeat some questions almost word for word or at least very similar.

I got CLB 12 for reading and CLB 11 for listening, they give lots and lots of questions, so even if you miss couple of questions you can still score high. Now I am quite worried even in those sections for IELTS, because they only have 40 questions, you miss 2 and you are off by 0.5 band, definitely more stressful. On top of that you have to fill in yourself and you can easily make a mistake on that. On CELPIP, the answer is there, you just choose.

I believe in CELPIP writing the computer even spellchecks your answer; how cool is that?! I got the equivalent of IELTS 6.5 without any preparation. Now I have prepared a lot, but I am definitely not IELTS 7 material, maybe I am but still you get the point.
Please let us know when ypu get ur ielts result to compare
I took ielts twice, first time i prepared for 5-8 hours max only by reading tips and watching videos, i didnt do any practice exams and i got LRWS 8,6.5,6,7.. after the exam i thought i will get 5 or 6 in speaking as i stuttered alot and iwas very nervous. Writing i didnt follow any structure, didnt give examples, and no conclusion or clear opinion but i got 6.5in second try i preprared 4-5 hours daily for 45 days, i scored 40/40 in most reading and listening practice tests, the writing topic that i got in the exam luckily i had already prepared ideas for, i wrote ielts text book structure style, range of complex words anf sentence structures, i had maybe 2 spelling mistakes, with clear conclusion, opinion, topic sentences, examples, elaboration. Yet i got a lower 6.
In speaking i got very familiar aubjecta and i expected at least 8 since i got 7 last time when i did bad, how ever they gave me 6.5
Over all second test 7.5,6,6,6.5 i got really frustrated as i though i will get at least 8 in each

Now not sure if i should take celpip as ielts really depressed me with this surprise result

DonKassem

Mar 25, 2017
Can you send me a sample of your writing? My email is engkassem.business@gmail.com. I will try to let you know why you were not able to score band 7. Also, which book you followed its structure in IELTS?

I took the CELPIP twice, and i can assure you that you may score CLB9 or higher in Reading, and Listening with alot of practice; however, what you don't know that getting CLB9 in writing& speaking in CELPIP is way harder than IELTS. It's okay, you can waste another $278 CAD to try the CELPIP, but afterward you will return to retake the IELTS again. They have free practice test on the CELPIP official website, try it first before you pay for the test. The real test is twice as hard as that free practice test, but the structure is the same.

smalkawi said:
I took ielts twice, first time i prepared for 5-8 hours max only by reading tips and watching videos, i didnt do any practice exams and i got LRWS 8,6.5,6,7.. after the exam i thought i will get 5 or 6 in speaking as i stuttered alot and iwas very nervous. Writing i didnt follow any structure, didnt give examples, and no conclusion or clear opinion but i got 6.5in second try i preprared 4-5 hours daily for 45 days, i scored 40/40 in most reading and listening practice tests, the writing topic that i got in the exam luckily i had already prepared ideas for, i wrote ielts text book structure style, range of complex words anf sentence structures, i had maybe 2 spelling mistakes, with clear conclusion, opinion, topic sentences, examples, elaboration. Yet i got a lower 6.
In speaking i got very familiar aubjecta and i expected at least 8 since i got 7 last time when i did bad, how ever they gave me 6.5
Over all second test 7.5,6,6,6.5 i got really frustrated as i though i will get at least 8 in each

Now not sure if i should take celpip as ielts really depressed me with this surprise result

baxa1981

May 29, 2012

I got my IELTS results: 8.5 for Listening and Reading, 7 for Writing and Speaking.

Listening and Reading are harder on IELTS for sure with True, False and all that BS. This is a General Module; who gets true, false questions in their work place?! Both tests I got CLB 10+.

Writing is the same. There is definitely something fishy with CELPIP evaluating the writing. I haven't prepared much for either, plus IELTS has many different kinds of essays and I always confuse them. CELPIP - CLB 8, IELTS - CLB 9. IELTS wins.

Speaking is very different. I think I did better in IELTS because I spoke to a person, even though she barely looked at me and kept reading the questions like a computer without waiting for me to finish. But, I have understood lots of tricks about speaking tests while preparing for IELTS, whereas for CELPIP I was just focusing on answering the question as quickly as possible. So I am not certain that they can be comparable. CELPIP - CLB 8, IELTS - CLB 9.

If money was not tight, I would retake CELPIP since I understood lots of things and it seems to be more straightforward in terms of preparation. (Task 2 for writing is always the same type of question. Speaking tasks are always the same kind of questions for each section).

Reactions: smalkawi

natk

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Category........
CEC
I took CELPIP in 2014 because it was recommended to me by other people for being much more straightforward than IELTS, it was 100% computerized, and you can finish the test mostly in your own time which I liked. With IELTS, it takes much longer to do on the day of your test, and you may have to wait around for the appointment with the person for the speaking section.

I think it comes down to personal preference, but I did the free tests on the CELPIP website before booking my test, so I knew what to expect and much preferred the computerized option.