+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Exam scoring

VIKAKUMA22

Mar 8, 2009
I have tried many IELTS practice tests. I see that I am not able to match the answers in the answer key exactly. Either I am using a sysnonym of the word or missing an s/es (plural) or appropriate help verbs (is/are/am) etc.
Any idea if the IELTS examiners are very strict about these and deduct the full point for even small mistakes or do they give half marks or something like that for those answers.
Please help.

mahharrouf

Jan 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have good issue, let see what experienced people says about this. My personal opinion is, they should not take it like a university exam, in immigration and specially skilled category, actually IELTS should to be a proof of communication, but if we go through exams, its really look like we gonna sit in any college or university exam. I am working as IT professional, its 4 years has been passed i have never write any longer paragraph with pen/pencil. Now after taking several of practice tests, i just realise how bad my writing is, so let see input from people who already passed IELTS exams. ANyhow, i think yes, they care about grammer, spellings,writing and etc , exectly as in standard university or college exam.

kans2009

Apr 2, 2009
When I took my IELTS test , I used my mechanics pencil. They told me not to use it, and use the pencil provided for me because the computer wont be able to recognize that kind of lead (???)

If computer graded it, then a/an/the/singular/plural definitely a problem.

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
November 2012 Vancouver, BC
Hi,

I have recently taken IELTS test in Singapore.

I took no training classes, just read one camgredge book i bought the day i enrolled for the test. and just a few hours of still at home and reading and listing to the cd provided with the book. additionally i read some 2-30 essay and letters from internet websites and just practiced writing one or two eaasy and letter to see if i can write at all (I am IT professional and usually don't write much). my test went okay and i got 6.5 over all which i felt was okay for me with almost no regulat prepration and much efforts.

I think IELTS writing and reading answer sheets are first read by a Human and then they darken the Right/Wrong field accordingly and then computer calculate the points in addition to other modules.

I feel computer based test will be a more precise and will not tolerate any a/an es/s errors etc.

With my experience if you can give attention to what you are listening, can have your peace of mind and attention while reading, have some good imagination with good grammer and tenses while writing and of course confidence and good flow while speaking then you can positively get the desired bands

Good Luck
Pankaj

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
Ielts test is all about practice...it is always a good idea to review ur mock test and see where u r making the mistakes. Also, try to read the questions well in advance...specially in reading and listening...then u know wht to look for. I have scored 8.5 in listening...and i knew where i made the mistake..otherwise I would have scored a perfect 9...neway...I got a good score...overall 7.5...it was all becoz of the regular practice..and one more thing...there are many you tube videos...u can refer to for the speaking test...let me know incae u need any further help...peace

charmeuse

Jan 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 10, 2008
AOR Received.
September 3, 2008
Med's Request
December 12, 2009
Med's Done....
December 24, 2009
Interview........
November 9, 2009
Passport Req..
December 12, 2009. Recd. by CHC on Jan 15, 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
February 4, 2010. E-cas status changed on 9 Feb, recd on 10 Feb.
LANDED..........
Smooth landing on June 26, 2010.
My 2 cents' worth..

What I've heard is they're very strict about the answers in that even an extra a/an/number/word are considered errors. I've no idea if a human or a computer corrects it, but better not take any chances. Also, pay attention to the word limit. If they say not more than 2 words/numbers, that should be followed diligently. For eg., if the answer is "3 trips" do not put in "3 trips per day." Apparently, even spelling is very important.

For Listening, a good advice that I got from http://www.scottsenglish.com/ielts/ (free access I got when I enrolled for IELTS) is to read ahead 1-2 questions during each pause so that you know what you should listen for. While doing mock tests there, to my horror, I found that if my concentration digressed a bit, I couldn't keep up with the test anymore! So, identify your weak areas and practise those areas more.

@VIKAKUMA22, don't go for synonyms. The answers are usually what is exactly said.

@mahharrouf, do practise writing with a pencil because they insist on pencil for Listening and Reading. As an IT professional, I too found it daunting because we're so used to typing. For Writing, I used a pen, though. Do that only if you're confident of not making too many errors (too many strike-offs may be visually unappealing and create a poor impression). Better write out some essays/letters.

Oh.. in case you're wondering how I fared in my recent test, I scored overall 8.0 with individual bands of L 9, R 8, W 7 and S 8.

Good Luck to all!