+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Young Professionals - stage 2 refused

abbey86x

Jun 6, 2013
Situation: I'm currently on WHP and my employeer wants me to continue working, so I applied (in timely matter) under Young Professionals program to be able to continue working. I contacted the respective IEC department and asked whether I'm allowed to apply for the second program while I'm still in Canada working under the first program (i.e. WHP) and I was told that I can apply at any time.

Stage 1: the IEC part, went through without any issues and I received the Conditial Acceptance Letter.
Stage 2: I filled out and submitted all the required documentation through My CIC along with the Conditional Acceptance Letter I received from IEC, and after 2 months this is their reply:

"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit.
Your application as requested is refused.
You are not a person described in Immigration Legislation who can apply for this type of
document from within Canada. An application of this type must be made at a Canadian Visa
office in another country."

I suspect this happened because I chose "Canada" as country of current residency (i.e. one of the first questions in the 'come to Canada' wizard when creating the My CIC account). Anyone knows if you are supposed to pick the country of your citizenship there even though you are still in Canada? After talking to IEC representative my assumption was that this wasn't the case.

I sent out a couple of emails and tried calling CIC (since IEC is unable to answer questions about CIC applications), but nobody seems to be able to assist me. Not sure what to do.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

abbey86x said:
Situation: I'm currently on WHP and my employeer wants me to continue working, so I applied (in timely matter) under Young Professionals program to be able to continue working. I contacted the respective IEC department and asked whether I'm allowed to apply for the second program while I'm still in Canada working under the first program (i.e. WHP) and I was told that I can apply at any time.

Stage 1: the IEC part, went through without any issues and I received the Conditial Acceptance Letter.
Stage 2: I filled out and submitted all the required documentation through My CIC along with the Conditional Acceptance Letter I received from IEC, and after 2 months this is their reply:

"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit.
Your application as requested is refused.
You are not a person described in Immigration Legislation who can apply for this type of
document from within Canada. An application of this type must be made at a Canadian Visa
office in another country."

I suspect this happened because I chose "Canada" as country of current residency (i.e. one of the first questions in the 'come to Canada' wizard when creating the My CIC account). Anyone knows if you are supposed to pick the country of your citizenship there even though you are still in Canada? After talking to IEC representative my assumption was that this wasn't the case.

I sent out a couple of emails and tried calling CIC (since IEC is unable to answer questions about CIC applications), but nobody seems to be able to assist me. Not sure what to do.

Thanks!
1. You have to pick your country of normal residence/citizenship. Not Canada, that is why it was refused.

abbey86x

Jun 6, 2013
Thanks!

I wish that was stated somewhere not only 'if you are currenly in Canada, you should select Canada'.

Resa

Jul 14, 2014
Hey, this is the exact position I am in and now I'm scared and confused. I'm sending in all my documents for the IEC YP program right now. Since I have a break between my last WP and my (hopefully) new one, I just opened a MyCIC account and applied for a temp. visitor visa (I'm german fyi). During that process I definitly put in Canada as my current residence - since I am in Canada, and it says 'put Canada in, if thats where you are' right?

How did it work out for you Abbey?

Any help is highly appreciated!!!

T.O.

Jul 10, 2014
So if I got this post correctly we can easily lie and say we're applying from Germany?!

But what about work though? I'm "still' working in Canada - CIC will not realize that I'm apparently still in Canada?

Please help me !!!

jkgoulds

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3rd April 2014
Doc's Request.
Police report of 'no live trace' 27 May 2015
AOR Received.
1st July 2014
IELTS Request
Score: 7.0-7.0-6.5-8.5
Med's Request
27 May 2015
Med's Done....
6th June 2015
put what country you are a citizen of

nirvgirl

Jul 16, 2014
I am in a similar position at the moment as most of you on here. However, after two rejected LMOs from service Canada this is the only chance that I have to stay in Canada and work. My situation is the following:
I was working until March of this year on implied status waiting on receipt of a positive LMO , unfortunately it got rejected in March and again in June:mad:. I am now on a tourist visa in Canada at the moment.
I submitted my application on my Kompass account last night in order to receive a conditional acceptance letter so fingers crossed I get that. However, from reading all of the above if I get an acceptance letter and progress to the next stage of My CIC I should put my country residency (I'm Irish BTW) as my home country although I am in Canada? My worry is that I uploaded my CV onto my Kompass account and it has my Canadian address not my Irish address. Will this conflict on any information if I progress through to the MY CIC process if I change everything to my Irish address??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

T.O.

Jul 10, 2014
Hi nirvgirl,

You can let IEC know that you're in Canada.

For MyCIC you have to say that you're in Ireland regardless because you're officially applying for a work permit "made oustide of Canada".

nirvgirl

Jul 16, 2014
T.O. said:
Hi nirvgirl,

You can let IEC know that you're in Canada.

For MyCIC you have to say that you're in Ireland regardless because you're officially applying for a work permit "made oustide of Canada".
Great thank you so much for your help. I am sick with worry at this stage about the whole debacle I just hope theres a positive outcome at this stage. I will keep you updated on my outcome and many thanks again :)

T.O.

Jul 10, 2014
jkgoulds,

thanks for your answear! But did not figure out the job situation. Do I have to indicate my Canadian Employment History here, or not?

I've started working with my WH permit and would like to continue working with the YP work permit.

Thanks again for your help!

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
So to sum this up again:

In the Kompass account you submitted your Canadian address (mailing address) as well as your address in your home country (personal permanent address) and in MyCIC you only entered your address in your home country?

I am not at the CIC stage yet. Just received a mail from IEC since I have been on the waiting list and now a place has become available (yay!). I already submitted my Canadian address as my mailing address (I am currently living in Canada) as well as my German address as my personal permanent address (as indicated in the form) -- even if I wanted to change that at this point, I couldn't. The file is locked.

Goschga

Mar 24, 2014
Hi everyone :)
I also just applied for the IEC Young Professionals Visa and I am in Canada already on a tourist visa.
Can anyone tell me what I have to put in my justification letter??

I really appreciate your help :D

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Tell them you are in your home country. That's what I did and I received my CAL after only 4 days.

As for the justification letter - that's not a mandatory section. It is meant for any additional documents that may help to justify your current situation. I uploaded my work permit refusal (due to a negative LMO) in order to prove that I held an implied status from June until August since my work certificate states that I have been employed until mid-August even though my WHV expired in June.

Resa

Jul 14, 2014
Hey guys!!! Just received my POE!!! yay!!! Waiting was the worst, I am so happy its over, no I just need to enter the country! So here is the thing, I am actually just outside of Canada (Bahamas vacation ;D)...but I didnt expect to get my letter so soon and unfortunately didnt bring any supporting documents. I can print out my insurance confirmation, no problem...but but else did you guys bring to your flagpole/enter?