+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC work permit and proof of insurance when entering

sammiek123

May 16, 2014
Hi guys,

I was hoping I can get some confirmation with my situation. My IEC work permit must be activated by February 2015. I will be going on holidays into the States and Toronto/Vancouver in November-December period from Australia. I was wondering if can I can just activate the work permit whilst I visit Toronto as I am not sure if I will be back by February to activate it on time and did not want to forfeit the program.
I know that I have to show my letter and proof of funds but what about the insurance for the 2 year period? i assume that the guards would think that I will be staying in the country, without knowing that I'll be flying out within a weeks time. Is it okay to just enter with my "holiday insurance" and if asked about the full 2 years insurance, am I able to say that I do not know which province I would be based at being the reason I haven't bought it? I've read that insurance can be bought within Canada and depending on which province you decide to stay in as they have different providers. Is this correct?
Has anybody else entered without having the full 2 years insurance and if so, what was asked and what was your response?
If anyone can give me suggestions or feedback to my situation, that would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your replies. Smiley

Cheers,
Sammie

britinvancouver

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015
LANDED..........
07-10-2015
sammiek123 said:
Hi guys,

I was hoping I can get some confirmation with my situation. My IEC work permit must be activated by February 2015. I will be going on holidays into the States and Toronto/Vancouver in November-December period from Australia. I was wondering if can I can just activate the work permit whilst I visit Toronto as I am not sure if I will be back by February to activate it on time and did not want to forfeit the program.
I know that I have to show my letter and proof of funds but what about the insurance for the 2 year period? i assume that the guards would think that I will be staying in the country, without knowing that I'll be flying out within a weeks time. Is it okay to just enter with my "holiday insurance" and if asked about the full 2 years insurance, am I able to say that I do not know which province I would be based at being the reason I haven't bought it? I've read that insurance can be bought within Canada and depending on which province you decide to stay in as they have different providers. Is this correct?
Has anybody else entered without having the full 2 years insurance and if so, what was asked and what was your response?
If anyone can give me suggestions or feedback to my situation, that would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your replies. Smiley

Cheers,
Sammie
My personal experience, I bought travel insurance for 6 months as I prepared to say I didn't know how long I was going to stay etc. and when I got to Vancouver airport to get my visa they didn't even ask me if I had insurance! They just asked for my forms and passport, asked if I had a job lined up then printed out my visa and I was on my way! After arriving in Vancouver and getting a job I have the insurance for my province and private medical through employment. So I wish I hadn't wasted the money. I hear if you go overland border rather than an airport they ask more questions.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Based on what I heard you may or may not get asked to provide the proof of insurance upon entry. Worst case scenario you will have to purchase something right upon entry to be allowed in.

It makes sense to contact the province you are going to to find out what you need to be eligible for the government health insurance scheme- some provinces are stricter and some more lax. There's usually a certain number of requirements you have to meet in order to be eligible- work hours, type of job etc. As was mentioned above in some cases waiting period applies- up to 3 months either from moment you land or establish residence.

In terms of insurance- any Canadian company will issue a refund if the person goes on a provincial scheme- so basically you will get back anything you didn't use. So I don't think there are any losses here.

For a list of Canadian insurers or to find out more about refund policies you can check out the info below:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/>IEC Canadian Insurers</a>