+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC visa expiring before BC PNP nomination, need advice on WP and implied status

Nov 1, 2019
Hello Canada Visa community,

I am currently living and working in BC on an IEC visa (exp Nov 15) and have applied for BC PNP (applied September 20). If the 3 month processing time is correct then I will lose my ability to work on Nov 15 and be unable to apply for restoration until I am nominated (between Nov 20 - Dec 20). With restoration of status processing time around 3-12 weeks that would be far too long for me to be out of work.

I am wondering if I should be applying for either an extension of my visa (I am aware that the IEC visa is barely ever extended) or applying for a employer-specific work visa. In either case I would like to know if I need to do a LMIA.

To clarify one last time my goal is to be on implied status for the time between my IEC expiring (Nov 15) and being granted restoration of status (Dec 15 - May 20, depending on processing times).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Canada Visa community,

I am currently living and working in BC on an IEC visa (exp Nov 15) and have applied for BC PNP (applied September 20). If the 3 month processing time is correct then I will lose my ability to work on Nov 15 and be unable to apply for restoration until I am nominated (between Nov 20 - Dec 20). With restoration of status processing time around 3-12 weeks that would be far too long for me to be out of work.

I am wondering if I should be applying for either an extension of my visa (I am aware that the IEC visa is barely ever extended) or applying for a employer-specific work visa. In either case I would like to know if I need to do a LMIA.

To clarify one last time my goal is to be on implied status for the time between my IEC expiring (Nov 15) and being granted restoration of status (Dec 15 - May 20, depending on processing times).
You don't have enough time to get an LMIA, so a work permit extension is not an option. You need to apply to change your status to visitor prior to Nov 15th.

Note that Restoration of Status is for people in Canada illegally, so as long as you maintain your status, you will not be applying for Restoration.

Nov 1, 2019
You don't have enough time to get an LMIA, so a work permit extension is not an option. You need to apply to change your status to visitor prior to Nov 15th.
Thank you! After doing more research I have decided to apply for a work permit with my client support letter stating that I am waiting for my BC PNP nomination and that my employer will pay the compliance fee once the nomination is recieved.

My PNP application was LMIA excempt so surely my work permit will be too?

I have also premptively applied for a work permit support letter from BC PNP as they generally take a while to process.

If I get implied status then work permit approved surely then I can work the whole way through my process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you! After doing more research I have decided to apply for a work permit with my client support letter stating that I am waiting for my BC PNP nomination and that my employer will pay the compliance fee once the nomination is recieved.

My PNP application was LMIA excempt so surely my work permit will be too?

I have also premptively applied for a work permit support letter from BC PNP as they generally take a while to process.

If I get implied status then work permit approved surely then I can work the whole way through my process?
You don't qualify without the nomination letter. You will be submitting an incomplete app, which could result in a rejection. If rejected, you will not benefit from Implied Status, meaning you would be out of status as of the expiry of your work permit and all work done after that would be considered illegal.

Nov 1, 2019
You don't qualify without the nomination letter. You will be submitting an incomplete app, which could result in a rejection. If rejected, you will not benefit from Implied Status, meaning you would be out of status as of the expiry of your work permit and all work done after that would be considered illegal.
Oh jeez. So I should apply for a visitor visa, then wait for my nomination and apply for a work visa?

Again thank you so much for clearing this up for me.