NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-07-2013
Hi,

I am currently on an IEC work permit and have applied for PR through CEC. My IEC permit expires on July 8 and it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that I will receive my AOR prior to this date, meaning that I will not be eligible for a Bridging Open work Permit (BOWP).

My questions is, if I don't receive my AOR prior to expiration of my visa, and as I don't have a LMO, if I applied for a temporary Work Visa without a LMO, would I be implied until my inevitable rejection (possibly a few weeks later)?

I ask on the basis that because of the apparent visa processing times this implied period would quite possibly keep me working until I receive my CEC AOR and apply for a BOWP.

Many thanks.

Bhanavig

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Not bad idea but do you think you will get your AOR in next 29 days because if you apply today for WP extension it will be processed in 3 weeks time like mine ( i applied on May 13 and received on Jun/06, it's closed WP), So i think it's better for you apply BOWP ( it takes 3 months if i'm not wrong) so once you get your AOR you can reapply for BOWP with AOR and cancel the first one...

it's just thought and plz wait for senior's suggestions

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
January 10, 2014 (received 22/01/14)
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Citrus said:
Hi,

I am currently on an IEC work permit and have applied for PR through CEC. My IEC permit expires on July 8 and it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that I will receive my AOR prior to this date, meaning that I will not be eligible for a Bridging Open work Permit (BOWP).

My questions is, if I don't receive my AOR prior to expiration of my visa, and as I don't have a LMO, if I applied for a temporary Work Visa without a LMO, would I be implied until my inevitable rejection (possibly a few weeks later)?

I ask on the basis that because of the apparent visa processing times this implied period would quite possibly keep me working until I receive my CEC AOR and apply for a BOWP.

Many thanks.
I was in a similar situation. I mailed out my CEC application on April 29, and my IEC work permit was due to expire on May 24. I knew I wouldn't receive my AOR in time, so I decided to apply for the BOWP anyway and I mailed it on May 14 (post, not online, to buy myself extra time). From the moment they received my BOWP application, I went on implied status.

I received my AOR yesterday (June 13), and I am expecting that Vegreville will look at my BOWP application by the end of July. While I am not 100% sure that it will work out, I assume I will be able to get the BOWP as I have my AOR now. I included a letter explaining my situation and that I will have my AOR by the time they read this. Hopefully they will contact me or look in the system to get my number.

Another member (aand) did the same thing, and she is supposed to hear back on her BOWP application next week. I don't want to encourage you to go this route, but it is an option. You can wait until next week and see if it worked out with aand, that should determine whether it is possible to initially send out the BOWP application without AOR and attach it later on when they're about to process it.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-07-2013
Bhanavig said:
Not bad idea but do you think you will get your AOR in next 29 days because if you apply today for WP extension it will be processed in 3 weeks time like mine ( i applied on May 13 and received on Jun/06, it's closed WP), So i think it's better for you apply BOWP ( it takes 3 months if i'm not wrong) so once you get your AOR you can reapply for BOWP with AOR and cancel the first one...

Thanks for your response.

Based on what seems to be a 6/7 week processing time, yes I hope to get my AOR in the next 29 days. However, my understanding is that I could wait until the expiry date of my current visa (July 8) before applying for a WP extension - this would give me another 3 weeks.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-07-2013
LCM21 said:
I was in a similar situation. I mailed out my CEC application on April 29, and my IEC work permit was due to expire on May 24. I knew I wouldn't receive my AOR in time, so I decided to apply for the BOWP anyway and I mailed it on May 14 (post, not online, to buy myself extra time). From the moment they received my BOWP application, I went on implied status.

I received my AOR yesterday (June 13), and I am expecting that Vegreville will look at my BOWP application by the end of July. While I am not 100% sure that it will work out, I assume I will be able to get the BOWP as I have my AOR now. I included a letter explaining my situation and that I will have my AOR by the time they read this. Hopefully they will contact me or look in the system to get my number.

Another member (aand) did the same thing, and she is supposed to hear back on her BOWP application next week. I don't want to encourage you to go this route, but it is an option. You can wait until next week and see if it worked out with aand, that should determine whether it is possible to initially send out the BOWP application without AOR and attach it later on when they're about to process it.
Please let me know how this works out for you and aand. Could be a nice little loophole here. My only concern with this is that surely this would mean one could potentially be indefinitely implied as long as they keep submitting new work permits every month or so - doesn't seem to add up.

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Citrus said:
Thanks for your response.

Based on what seems to be a 6/7 week processing time, yes I hope to get my AOR in the next 29 days. However, my understanding is that I could wait until the expiry date of my current visa (July 8) before applying for a WP extension - this would give me another 3 weeks.
You can try that, but be aware that an IEC permit can not be extended.

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Citrus said:
Please let me know how this works out for you and aand. Could be a nice little loophole here. My only concern with this is that surely this would mean one could potentially be indefinitely implied as long as they keep submitting new work permits every month or so - doesn't seem to add up.
I am not sure what you mean by this? I will only be on implied status until they make a decision on my BOWP application. I don't think you can keep on applying for work permit extensions without a valid work permit.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-07-2013
LCM21 said:
I am not sure what you mean by this? I will only be on implied status until they make a decision on my BOWP application. I don't think you can keep on applying for work permit extensions without a valid work permit.
Sorry, I was going on the idea that Bhanavig suggested in that you might reapply and then cancel the original application, but that's not your plan.

I guess worst-case situation at least you get another month or two of being able to work before you potentially get a BOWP rejection. More money and less unemployment before what will hopefully be a positive CEC application...

Thanks again.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Do not wait for them to "look" in the system. Contact the CIC call centre ASAP and inform them of your AOR and date it was received. They should be able to put a message on your profile or pass this information along.

LCM21 said:

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
SenoritaBella said:
Do not wait for them to "look" in the system. Contact the CIC call centre ASAP and inform them of your AOR and date it was received. They should be able to put a message on your profile or pass this information along.
Thanks SenoritaBella. I'll do that!

Citrus

Apr 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-07-2013
SenoritaBella said:
Hi SenoritaBella,

I'm very seriously considering taking the same approach here. Are you aware of any potential negative impacts of submitting what would clearly be an incomplete (AOR missing) application for a BOWP in terms of my overall CEC application? If not, seems like a great way of getting an additional couple of months of work under implied status at the very least.

Many thanks.

mounty

Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
24-07-2013
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Bhanavig said:

She wouldn't be applying for WP extension if she is currently on IEC permit which is open ended. She may ask her employer to get a LMO and then file for a Work Permit (New Employer) application. The processing time is anywhere between 29 days to 67 days as it is shown now on:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Again, that estimated time varies quite dramatically. According to an immigration lawyer I talked to, about once a year, the CIC at Vegreville would shorten the time to less than a month (both paper and online application). About 6 months ago when I was going through the same thing, both paper and online application was taking about the same time (over 60 days). So use the link as a reference only.

mounty

Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
24-07-2013
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
LCM21 said:
You can try that, but be aware that an IEC permit can not be extended.
Some IEC permit can be extended, depending on the agreement between Canada and that country. One such agreement exists under Working Holiday Visa for Australian.

https://www.whpcanada.org.au/working_holiday-vacances_travail.shtml

"for re-applications, please be advised that the earliest you can mail an application to our office is 12 weeks before your current working holiday work permit expires. Our office will post back unprocessed any new working holiday application if your current IEC work permit is still valid for another 12 weeks."

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mounty said:
Some IEC permit can be extended, depending on the agreement between Canada and that country. One such agreement exists under Working Holiday Visa for Australian.

https://www.whpcanada.org.au/working_holiday-vacances_travail.shtml

"for re-applications, please be advised that the earliest you can mail an application to our office is 12 weeks before your current working holiday work permit expires. Our office will post back unprocessed any new working holiday application if your current IEC work permit is still valid for another 12 weeks."
No, it is not an extension, Australians have to apply to Sydney Australia for a NEW IEC.