+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC pool - Police Check issue!

idsynott

Jan 3, 2018
Hi all,

I was issued an invitation to apply for the IEC work permit program in December - I have since started the application and now getting hold of my police checks.

I'm from the UK and I lived in the USA for a year last year, so therefore there's two police checks in total required by Canada to complete my application. I've managed to request my UK one just fine and have the email receipts and proof to submit to them just in case it doesn't come in time.

HOWEVER - the USA requires people to request their background checks through post sent to the FBI. They also require fingerprints taken by an official. I immediately booked to have my fingerprints taken officially (rather than risk a lengthy wait for a rejected background check) - however the earliest this was offered to me is a week after the deadline issued to me on the IEP visa site. I have an email though from the London Met police saying that it was the earliest they could possibly give me.

What complicates this further, is that I can't even pay for the US police check before I can get fingerprints done - the FBI require it all to be sent by POST (!!) alongside a written form enclosed in the posted letter with my payment details on it - no chance of a proof email for a credit card online payment, etc. Even a tracking number wouldn't really be adequate proof as I could be sending them anything.

Please help!! What would be the best way for me to notify the Canadian officials on the letter of explanation? Is this a well-covered issue?? Would it be better for me to just let them know about it and hope they don't void the application? I have spent a fair bit of money on this now and it'd suck so hard to lose out.

Thanks in advance

Ian S

Iainconlon12

Jan 8, 2018
I'm in the same situation. Had to decline my ITA due to this and not expecting the police check to be back before April

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I was issued an invitation to apply for the IEC work permit program in December - I have since started the application and now getting hold of my police checks.

I'm from the UK and I lived in the USA for a year last year, so therefore there's two police checks in total required by Canada to complete my application. I've managed to request my UK one just fine and have the email receipts and proof to submit to them just in case it doesn't come in time.

HOWEVER - the USA requires people to request their background checks through post sent to the FBI. They also require fingerprints taken by an official. I immediately booked to have my fingerprints taken officially (rather than risk a lengthy wait for a rejected background check) - however the earliest this was offered to me is a week after the deadline issued to me on the IEP visa site. I have an email though from the London Met police saying that it was the earliest they could possibly give me.

What complicates this further, is that I can't even pay for the US police check before I can get fingerprints done - the FBI require it all to be sent by POST (!!) alongside a written form enclosed in the posted letter with my payment details on it - no chance of a proof email for a credit card online payment, etc. Even a tracking number wouldn't really be adequate proof as I could be sending them anything.

Please help!! What would be the best way for me to notify the Canadian officials on the letter of explanation? Is this a well-covered issue?? Would it be better for me to just let them know about it and hope they don't void the application? I have spent a fair bit of money on this now and it'd suck so hard to lose out.

Thanks in advance

Ian S
Hi

Are you aware that the actual processing time for an FBI certificate is about 4 months? It will be April or May before you even receive it. This is why the website advises that you start getting your supporting documents ready before receiving an invitation.

As you cannot submit a complete application by the deadline, you will need to decline your invitation.