+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - approved application. Passport?

Canada8197

Jul 10, 2017
Hi all.
I got approved in a matter of 2 weeks which was shocking..!
Now my question is... Should I apply for a new NZ PASSPORT before I re enter Canada? (currently visitor, must reenter to obtain work permit). My passport expires next year November, so I wouldn't be getting the most time I can out of this IEC program. Would applying and obtaining a new passport void my IEC? Or is it okay?

If not, what would I bring to the Port of entry? Passport, my letter of approval, printed bank account statements showing funds, and health insurance for 2 years. Is there anything else? Would I be questioned as to why I was already here? (intention is common law sponsorship later). Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - I would apply for a new passport now. That way you'll get the full length of the IEC when you enter Canada and won't have to go through the mess of extending.

Reactions: mohitgupta_2001

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Get a new passport, do not try to activate your IEC on a passport that expires less than the IEC term you should get else it will only be issued to passport validity and believe me extending is a real hassle . It is likely a paper application that can take months plus 100 cdn upfront to process despite what the website says.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=861&top=25

There should be no issue with already being in Canada and flagpoling to get the work permit so you still need 2 years travel insurance, proof of access to 2500 cdn, your POE AND most important a passport with a validity beyond 2 years from the date you flagpole. Instructions in link above if getting a new passport after POE issued but before landing.

Instructions in the link below if you decide to go with the limited validity route for the initial IEC activation with an extension for new passport.

No idea how easy it will be for you to get a new NZ passport or how long it will take, hopefully within the time you have left with visitor status. Plus if you ever plan to leave Canada and come back ,by air you should get a new ETA for the new passport.

See here for info about extending IEC with new passport after initial landing but ultimately decision is yours . http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend/iec.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

Canada8197

Jul 10, 2017
Thank you guys! I was only worried new passports voiding my application as it wasn't the one I would have applied IEC with and got approved. So it would definitely be ok to use a fresh passport from nz? I don't need to bring my old passport right? All I have to do is reapply for eta on new passport and I am good to go? :) would a printed statement showing a bank account (Canadian conjoint bank with me and my partner with over 10000 cad...) be sufficient for fund proof? (it's all his money, i did not have a job prior to the permit.)
Thanks guys!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you guys! I was only worried new passports voiding my application as it wasn't the one I would have applied IEC with and got approved. So it would definitely be ok to use a fresh passport from nz? I don't need to bring my old passport right? All I have to do is reapply for eta on new passport and I am good to go? :) would a printed statement showing a bank account (Canadian conjoint bank with me and my partner with over 10000 cad...) be sufficient for fund proof? (it's all his money, i did not have a job prior to the permit.)
Thanks guys!
You must bring your old passport against which the POE was issued or according to the link below a photocopy of the bio page, although personally if were me the old passport, plus your new passport with a new ETA if flying to Canada.

See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=861&top=25

Should be fine with a printed statement not older than 7 days, plus do not forget the 2 years travel insurance.

Also make 100 percent sure before you leave the CBSA officer processing your permit that the validity is issued against the new passport not the old passport so the full 2 years or whatever should be for NZ.

Last edited:

Canada8197

Jul 10, 2017
Okay, so it seems that I will be ok as long as I bring the old passport and also new and state that to the officer. Will the officer ask my intentions or interrogate me, by any chance? Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Okay, so it seems that I will be ok as long as I bring the old passport and also new and state that to the officer. Will the officer ask my intentions or interrogate me, by any chance? Thank you.
Probably be strip searched and interogated why you would want to leave NZ :)

Seriously try not to overthink things as plenty of people on an IEC arrive as visitors first to sort out work and accomodation then they go to the US border to flagpole and activate their work permit.

As long as all the prereqs are in order whilst nobody can predict anything you should have no issues at all, plus no need to mention anything about your long term PR plans just focus on getting the IEC permit issued when dealing with CBSA.

Be aware with some other posts in this forum that some US border posts are not processing any flagpolers at weekends through the summer, this may change in the fall/winter and is mainly the Ontario border but check anyway.

Canada8197

Jul 10, 2017
Probably be strip searched and interogated why you would want to leave NZ :)

Seriously try not to overthink things as plenty of people on an IEC arrive as visitors first to sort out work and accomodation then they go to the US border to flagpole and activate their work permit.

As long as all the prereqs are in order whilst nobody can predict anything you should have no issues at all, plus no need to mention anything about your long term PR plans just focus on getting the IEC permit issued when dealing with CBSA.

Be aware with some other posts in this forum that some US border posts are not processing any flagpolers at weekends through the summer, this may change in the fall/winter and is mainly the Ontario border but check anyway.
Awesome. Thank you for your in depth explanation!