+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC 2014 - International Experience Canada

sokard

Feb 4, 2014
Hello everyone

Last year I was given a 2 year work permit under the IEC program. When I entered Canada the officer put the date to enter canada as my expiry date. So I was only given an 11 month visa.

I didnt realize until recently and now I am trying to correct it before it expires.

Is there a way to reinstate the 2 year visa? Or can I apply for another year through the program?

Ive tried calling immigration but I have received many different amswers.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Whether you can reapply for IEC depends upon the conditions of your home country's program. For example, the Australian program allows repeated applications while you still meet the age, etc criteria of the program; New Zealand's allows one application only.

Generally they say you cannot apply to extend an IEC work permit; rather, you have to apply for a new one. However, I saw something recently which says there is a possibility to extend an IEC in a specific case. From user PMM:

Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.
If I'm reading that right, it means that if your home country's IEC is two years, and the border official issued you a shorter work permit for some reason (perhaps the passport you used was due to expire sooner than the two years), then you might apply to extend it to the full two years. However, I've never heard of this being done, and I'm not sure it's even a thing.

sokard

Feb 4, 2014
I was supposed to have a 2 year visa. She put the validity date instead of the expiry date. This gave me only 11 months. I just thought I only had a one year visa until I read the fine print "issue 24 month work permit at poe"

My passport expires in 2018 and I am from Ireland.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to extend it.

I have tried to amend it and also I emailed IEC so hopefully something works!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sokard said:
I was supposed to have a 2 year visa. She put the validity date instead of the expiry date. This gave me only 11 months. I just thought I only had a one year visa until I read the fine print "issue 24 month work permit at poe"

My passport expires in 2018 and I am from Ireland.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to extend it.

I have tried to amend it and also I emailed IEC so hopefully something works!
IEC can't do anything about the validity of your work permit. It's all in CIC hands, when it comes to work permits.
The VO at the POE can, yup that's the magic word, they can issue a work permit for up to 24 months, that does not mean
you get one for 24 months. This decision can be based on various reasons, ie passport validity, length of private health care, funds, etc.

Check with CIC about the validity and the reasons behind the 11 motnhs.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
LPS said:
If I'm reading that right, it means that if your home country's IEC is two years, and the border official issued you a shorter work permit for some reason (perhaps the passport you used was due to expire sooner than the two years), then you might apply to extend it to the full two years. However, I've never heard of this being done, and I'm not sure it's even a thing.
I've heard of a case where someone got a 6 months IEC work permit, instead of a 12 months document. He got it extended,
but I'm not sure about the whole process he went thru.

Check with CIC to see what's possible and what's not.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
sokard said:
It does sound like she made a mistake. The 'validity' date on an introduction letter doesn't determine the length of the work permit. It is simply the final day that the letter may be presented. The two years (or whatever the length may be) starts ticking from when you present the letter.

As Toby has noted, the role of your home country's IEC ended with the introduction letter and it is CIC that issues permits. I guess the procedure would be to:
- send an application to CIC to extend a work permit
- specify the type as "open work permit" and leave the employer details blank
- enclose the required documents
- enclose a letter that explains in detail what happened, and that you would like your IEC extended to the time limit authorised by the program
- enclose your IEC introduction letter

Again I'm not sure this is a thing, as my introduction letter plainly states "the work permit may not be extended", so you should probably do this in plenty of time in case it doesn't work and you have to make alternate arrangements...

sokard

Feb 4, 2014
iam_toby said:
IEC can't do anything about the validity of your work permit. It's all in CIC hands, when it comes to work permits.
The VO at the POE can, yup that's the magic word, they can issue a work permit for up to 24 months, that does not mean
you get one for 24 months. This decision can be based on various reasons, ie passport validity, length of private health care, funds, etc.

Check with CIC about the validity and the reasons behind the 11 motnhs.
I called CIC they knew nothing. They made the suggestion to try to extend it or amend it but no one was certain. I had all my documents in order on arrival. The officer didnt even look at them. She just printed the work permit and handed it to me. Im positive she made an error. unfortunately I should have realized it at the time. Now I guess my only option is to try to get it rectified.

Thanks for your suggestions. If abyone else has had a similar problem I would love to hear how it turned out.

Cheers!

VDB90

Feb 11, 2014
Hi everybody!

I want to go to Canada for a 8 months in 2015 (starting on February 1), when is the best time to apply for the IEC visa?

Thanks!

VDB90

Feb 11, 2014
byrwus said:
asap. you will have a full year to come.
I did register and apply for the IEC yesterday, but they told me I am on the waiting list. Does this mean I might not be able to go to Canada in 2015?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
VDB90 said:
Hi everybody!

I want to go to Canada for a 8 months in 2015 (starting on February 1), when is the best time to apply for the IEC visa?

Thanks!
You will have to wait for the 2015 IEC program. Check your countries IEC website end of 2014 for the program opening and then apply.

zanaluna

Feb 20, 2014
Hello everyone,

I would like to apply to the young professional visa (the working holiday visa is full already).
Since it needs a job contract, I am actually wondering how to contact companies without putting them off: Through the young professional visa, only the job contract is needed, unlike a "normal" work permit where the company has a lot of paperwork to do with the Labour Market Opinion letter and has to pay fees etc. So I'm wondering if companies in Canada (Vancouver in particular) are usually aware of the difference? Do you guys mention it in the cover letter? Just wondering how to tell them I need them to get the visa but it's not a full sponsorship either as they'll have nothing to do nor pay apart from drawing a contract.

Thanks for the advice!!
Cheers

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
zanaluna said:
Hello everyone,

I would like to apply to the young professional visa (the working holiday visa is full already).
Since it needs a job contract, I am actually wondering how to contact companies without putting them off: Through the young professional visa, only the job contract is needed, unlike a "normal" work permit where the company has a lot of paperwork to do with the Labour Market Opinion letter and has to pay fees etc. So I'm wondering if companies in Canada (Vancouver in particular) are usually aware of the difference? Do you guys mention it in the cover letter? Just wondering how to tell them I need them to get the visa but it's not a full sponsorship either as they'll have nothing to do nor pay apart from drawing a contract.

Thanks for the advice!!
Cheers
No, companies are usually not aware of the IEC visa option. The job offer will have to be in your field of study and yes,
in the cover letter I would explain the details about the YP visa and line out that there's no paperwork for the company
involved. However, it will be tough to get a job offer without being in Canada.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Goschga

Mar 24, 2014
Hey everyone :D
I am on the waiting list for the IEC Young Professionals Visa for 2014. Does anyone know how long that takes until it closes and how the chances are when you are on that list?? I am from Germany and am planning to go to Canada in the end of April. I have a job offer from a company in Calgary, but if I don´t get that visa I don´t get the job because they do not apply for LMOs :(

Regards

JamesMRiley

Mar 25, 2014
Hi, I'm from Australia and I've applied for the 2014 IEC. I have my conditional acceptance letter and am currently in the process of uploading my documents to the CIC. I am wondering what the chances are that they will ask me to undergo a medical exam. I'm travelling to South America in 7 weeks and won't be back in Australia for a while. Can I wait a few months after uploading my documents before doing my medical if they need one or would I have to fly home and get it done? Or can I undergo a medical while in another country?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
JamesMRiley said:
Hi, I'm from Australia and I've applied for the 2014 IEC. I have my conditional acceptance letter and am currently in the process of uploading my documents to the CIC. I am wondering what the chances are that they will ask me to undergo a medical exam. I'm travelling to South America in 7 weeks and won't be back in Australia for a while. Can I wait a few months after uploading my documents before doing my medical if they need one or would I have to fly home and get it done? Or can I undergo a medical while in another country?
You can undergo a medical anywhere you want :) But chances are, they don't ask you.