+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I worked after graduation but before applying for PGWP, help!

Mococok

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
This is base on the response of the immigration lawyer that I have consulted, since I also have worked right after classes are done which should have been not. The immigration lawyer suggested to start counting the work hours when the pgwp has been lodged but still place in personal history the start date of the unauthorized work.

As per my immigration lawyer, those that has been rejected with the same case as ours are those that has not been honest with the fault that has been made.

Thank you for giving me the advice.

However, I already filled out the start date of unauthorized work experience in EE profile stage and I also kept this in the review stage and the letter and

invoices and my bank statements show too, so I don't know whether I should change the start date of the work experience for counting.

Do you think I should change the start date of the work experience in the work history section for counting while I mentioned this in personal history?

Yes, I should be 100% honesty as much as I can, so I was a plan to include this in work history with LOE in the optional section.

Thank you for your advice.

pawiks101

Mar 24, 2019
Thank you for giving me the advice.

However, I already filled out the start date of unauthorized work experience in EE profile stage and I also kept this in the review stage and the letter and

invoices and my bank statements show too, so I don't know whether I should change the start date of the work experience for counting.

Do you think I should change the start date of the work experience in the work history section for counting while I mentioned this in personal history?

Yes, I should be 100% honesty as much as I can, so I was a plan to include this in work history with LOE in the optional section.

My immigration lawyer advised to include the very start date of the unauthorized work in the personal history section but in the work history section, just include the start date which is you have already applied your PGWP in this way the work hours is valid but then again its up to you.

Mococok

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
My immigration lawyer advised to include the very start date of the unauthorized work in the personal history section but in the work history section, just include the start date which is you have already applied your PGWP in this way the work hours is valid but then again its up to you.

That means I can still change the start date of the unauthorized work experience in the work history section even if it doesn't match with personal history.

Did you write an LOE for this? and did you put it in the optional section or the Record of employment section?

Ade3032

Dec 22, 2018
Hi guys
Guys I need your sincere comments on my case/scenario as stated below

I begin working in Canada on February 2020 on a closed work permit. The expiry date on my closed work permit is 1 November 2021. In September 2020 I also got a study permit which expires in 2024 but I didn't begin the study due to covid-19 and family related issues. Hence I continued working with my employer using my closed work permit since it is still valid till November 2021. I was invited for CEC in February 2021 and I have submitted my application. My question now is that 'I hope the officer wont invalidate my work experience from September 2020 when I got the study permit'? Am still working with my employer (Full-time) as stated on my closed work permit.

Can I write a LOE to the officer about this as I don't want my work experience to be invalidated hence I become ineligible for CEC. Thank you

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Hi guys
Guys I need your sincere comments on my case/scenario as stated below

I begin working in Canada on February 2020 on a closed work permit. The expiry date on my closed work permit is 1 November 2021. In September 2020 I also got a study permit which expires in 2024 but I didn't begin the study due to covid-19 and family related issues. Hence I continued working with my employer using my closed work permit since it is still valid till November 2021. I was invited for CEC in February 2021 and I have submitted my application. My question now is that 'I hope the officer wont invalidate my work experience from September 2020 when I got the study permit'? Am still working with my employer (Full-time) as stated on my closed work permit.

Can I write a LOE to the officer about this as I don't want my work experience to be invalidated hence I become ineligible for CEC. Thank you
Hi I think you can hold work permit & study permit at the same time, no issues there. And in my opinion, as long as your work experience fits your closed work permit, you are good to go with CEC. If you didn't go to school, the officers won't invalidate your work experience just because of your study permit. An LOE explaining why you didn't use your study permit to go to school would be helpful too.

I know someone who worked about a year, then applied to go back to school. So he was applying for PR & study permit at the same time. And it turned out both PR and study permit got approved on the same day hh

pawiks101

Mar 24, 2019
That means I can still change the start date of the unauthorized work experience in the work history section even if it doesn't match with personal history.

Did you write an LOE for this? and did you put it in the optional section or the Record of employment section?

I will wait for the advise of my immigration lawyer. We are planning but still deciding.

Ade3032

Dec 22, 2018
Hi I think you can hold work permit & study permit at the same time, no issues there. And in my opinion, as long as your work experience fits your closed work permit, you are good to go with CEC. If you didn't go to school, the officers won't invalidate your work experience just because of your study permit. An LOE explaining why you didn't use your study permit to go to school would be helpful too.

I know someone who worked about a year, then applied to go back to school. So he was applying for PR & study permit at the same time. And it turned out both PR and study permit got approved on the same day hh
Thank you for taking time to respond to my case. Infact a call centre agent told me I have done nothing wrong by getting a study permit with a work permit. He said since I didnt start schooling after 150days, I was supposed to change status to a visitor /worker but since I already a valid/existing work permit am fine and there is nothing wrong in my case.

However my actual worry/fear is how will the officer establish that I didn't go to school/ studying as soon as I got the study permit. I don't want a situation where the officer would just assume that I began studying since September 2020 and try to invalidate my work experience from September 2020. However in the personal experience/history section in the pr application, I stated that I was working from Feb 2020 till date.

I have since submitted my pr application without a LOE about this. Am now thinking if I could write a LOE about this and submit through webform. What do you think? Thank you!

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you for taking time to respond to my case. Infact a call centre agent told me I have done nothing wrong by getting a study permit with a work permit. He said since I didnt start schooling after 150days, I was supposed to change status to a visitor /worker but since I already a valid/existing work permit am fine and there is nothing wrong in my case.

However my actual worry/fear is how will the officer establish that I didn't go to school/ studying as soon as I got the study permit. I don't want a situation where the officer would just assume that I began studying since September 2020 and try to invalidate my work experience from September 2020. However in the personal experience/history section in the pr application, I stated that I was working from Feb 2020 till date.

I have since submitted my pr application without a LOE about this. Am now thinking if I could write a LOE about this and submit through webform. What do you think? Thank you!
Hi as far as I know, the officer wouldn't assume you went to school unless you said so in your application/submitted documents about it. Since you didn't actually to go school, I would guess you didn't fill anything in education history about the education you haven't started yet. I would agree with the call center agent that there's nothing wrong in your case.

If you are really concerned, you can submit an LOE as supplementary document through Webform. https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Also, if it's been >2-3 months since you submitted your application, you can request GCMS notes, where you can see how far have the officers processed your application & the information they exchanged. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html

Ade3032

Dec 22, 2018
Hi as far as I know, the officer wouldn't assume you went to school unless you said so in your application/submitted documents about it. Since you didn't actually to go school, I would guess you didn't fill anything in education history about the education you haven't started yet. I would agree with the call center agent that there's nothing wrong in your case.

If you are really concerned, you can submit an LOE as supplementary document through Webform. https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Also, if it's been >2-3 months since you submitted your application, you can request GCMS notes, where you can see how far have the officers processed your application & the information they exchanged. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html
Hi, thank you once again for your response. Yes I didn't give any information or documents regarding a study I didn't/haven't start. I only mentioned my foreign completed degree that I claimed points for in the education section of my profile.

Secondly my application will be 2 months old by 28th May 2021 and have already requested for gcms notes. Hoping the notes gets delivered in two weeks time. I have already written a LOE about this issue but will wait for the gcms notes before I decide wether to submit it or not. Regards

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Hi, thank you once again for your response. Yes I didn't give any information or documents regarding a study I didn't/haven't start. I only mentioned my foreign completed degree that I claimed points for in the education section of my profile.

Secondly my application will be 2 months old by 28th May 2021 and have already requested for gcms notes. Hoping the notes gets delivered in two weeks time. I have already written a LOE about this issue but will wait for the gcms notes before I decide wether to submit it or not. Regards
Best luck to you!

Reactions: Ade3032