+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I received the first stage approval for a complete application. I'm from Mexico.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
I received a letter which says:

Hello,
While the COVID-19 pandemic has presented a number of challenges world-wide, Canada’s
whole-of-government approach is aimed at protecting the health of Canadians while minimizing
the economic and social impact of restrictions. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
has implemented a temporary two-stage process to provide an update to international students
who have not yet been able to provide all the required documents or information needed to have
their application fully assessed in time for the fall semester.
You are receiving this notification as an officer has reviewed the information and documents you
provided to support your study permit application. Based on this preliminary eligibility
assessment, your application has advanced to the next stage of processing.
Additional information and documentation may be required in order to continue processing your
application. If we previously requested that you complete biometrics and/or a medical
examination and submit a police certificate, please do so as soon as you are able to. If you have
not received a request from us for additional information or documents, please await further
instructions.
Once we have received all requested information and documents, we will complete our
assessment of your application and we will inform you of the final decision (approved or
refused) made on your application.
While you await a final decision on your application you may commence your studies online, if
this is an option at your institution.
If you are a representative who has received this notification, please ensure to advise your
client(s) of this important information.
Thank you,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
I already registered my biometrics last year and since I am from México, neither medical exam nor police certificate is needed from me. Also, I am supposed to start my studies until January, so my application is not for fall term.

Do you know if this is already a study permit acceptance or could I still be rejected?

Here are some important dates:
Application date: August 23, 2020.
Confirmation of online Application Transmission: August 24, 2020.
Submission Confirmation : August 24, 2020.
First stage approval: October 2, 2020.
First day of classes: January 4th, 2021.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020

I already registered my biometrics last year and since I am from México, neither medical exam nor police certificate is needed from me. Also, I am supposed to start my studies until January, so my application is not for fall term.

Do you know if this is already a study permit acceptance or could I still be rejected?

No this is not a study permit approval. It is an Approval in Principle (AIP) which is a good thing. Is your university in the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020

This is not an approved study permit, yes you could still be rejected. August is quite a recent application, but if you want to know what has happened to your application and it is a complete application, then order your GCMS notes.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
No this is not a study permit approval. It is an Approval in Principle (AIP) which is a good thing. Is your university in the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan?
Yes, it is. I have just checked the list and my university is on it, the NBCC. I am worried because maybe the results won't be on time. I mean, the NBCC has a due date for first semester full payment, and has a due date for full refund requests in case of study permit refusal, so, If I pay the semester and don't get results on time, I could lose my money =(.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
This is not an approved study permit, yes you could still be rejected. August is quite a recent application, but if you want to know what has happened to your application and it is a complete application, then order your GCMS notes.
Thank you for your response. What are GCMS notes? How do I do that and how long does it take to get them?. =0

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
AIP means eligibility is passed 99% , so to be a perfectionist you may verify the remaining 1 % by ordering GCMS notes. lol

Last edited:

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Yes, it is. I have just checked the list and my university is on it, the NBCC. I am worried because maybe the results won't be on time. I mean, the NBCC has a due date for first semester full payment, and has a due date for full refund requests in case of study permit refusal, so, If I pay the semester and don't get results on time, I could lose my money =(.
I think you will soon be hearing about your application. It looks like there's been a whole bunch of updates for those whose universities are on the list. Keep us updated.

jmbits

Oct 19, 2020
Well, everyone is getting the AIP first even if they submitted a complete application. In fact, those who applied for Winter 2021 directly without biometrics/medicals are not getting AIPs first. They are only processing complete applications, and the two stage process has not been extended to us. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is the information I have seen everywhere.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Well, everyone is getting the AIP first even if they submitted a complete application. In fact, those who applied for Winter 2021 directly without biometrics/medicals are not getting AIPs first. They are only processing complete applications, and the two stage process has not been extended to us. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is the information I have seen everywhere.
I'm not sure that is entirely correct. I think there has been a number of AIPs issued to Winter 21 intake applicants and I'm quite sure some of them didn't have complete applications submitted.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Those who received AIP straight away for Winter 2021 are exceptions and these are not the general norms followed by IRCC. Depends on which visa office your file is being processed at. Some visa offices process files differently and sometimes they abide the rules strictly and sometimes they don't.

jmbits

Oct 19, 2020
Those who received AIP straight away for Winter 2021 are exceptions and these are not the general norms followed by IRCC. Depends on which visa office your file is being processed at. Some visa offices process files differently and sometimes they abide the rules strictly and sometimes they don't.
I asked on Twitter. They said that even if you submit the complete application, you get the AIP first. I guess the most likely scenario is that it depends on the visa office...

Reactions: iaredi

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
I asked on Twitter. They said that even if you submit the complete application, you get the AIP first. I guess the most likely scenario is that it depends on the visa office...
Yes! actually, I submitted a complete application, for 2021 winter term and I received the AIP, so, who knows what is happening hehe.

Last edited:

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
I think you will soon be hearing about your application. It looks like there's been a whole bunch of updates for those whose universities are on the list. Keep us updated.

YESS!!! I GOT NEWS!! My application was accepted in just 67 days!!!, WOOOOW I can't believe it, I am very happy of course =D.

I received my acceptance letter on October 29th and again on the 30th (somebody knows why?). This just proves that no matter if you are attending school in the 2020 fall term or 2021 winter term, you may be accepted as well.

Still, I just can't believe it. Here the text of "my precious" hehe:

Dear
Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be issued to you on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations. The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport and may request to see your supporting documents, such as the letter of acceptance from your educational institution. Do not pack these or other valuable papers in your checked luggage. You can find out more about which documents you will need to bring with you by visiting [link].
As you gather your documents, please take note of the following:
• This letter is not a passport or travel document. You will not be permitted to board your flight without your passport, even if you have this letter with you.
• This letter is not an authorization permitting you to enter or remain in Canada. An officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make that determination upon your arrival to Canada.
• This letter is important because it contains information that will be used by the Canada Border Services Agency to issue your study permit. Please do not misplace it.
You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit by (yyyy/mm/dd). Your passport must be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of your study permit will not be issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States citizens and permanent residents, the validity date of your identity document.
Note: As an international student in Canada, it is your responsibility to ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit, including the requirement to actively pursue studies.
Your study permit will automatically become invalid 90 days after you complete your study program, regardless of the expiry date indicated on your study permit. For more information,
please consult: [link]

If you are from a country/territory which requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) ( ), you have also been issued a visa. This visa has been affixed in your passport and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires. If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa. You may do so by visiting.
Other than United States citizens, if you are from a country/territory which does NOT require a temporary resident visa ( ), or if you are a permanent
resident of the United States, you have also been issued an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Your eTA is valid for multiple visits to Canada, until yyyy/mm/dd). Your eTA number is and is linked to the passport you used when you applied to study in Canada. If you obtain a new passport before (yyyy/mm/dd), you will need to apply for a new eTA by visiting [link].
If you are a United States citizen, you are not required to obtain an eTA or a TRV. United States citizens who do not have a passport may show their United States birth certificate or certificate of naturalization. United States permanent residents entering Canada from the United States may
present their alien resident “green” card, instead of a passport.
In some provinces or territories, students are not eligible for public health insurance. You must ensure that you and any dependants have adequate health care insurance or financial resources to cover possible contingencies. Further information is available from the ministry of health of the province or territory in which you intend to study.
For information on what to see and do while you are in Canada, visit [link].
Sincerely,
www.canada.ca/eTA
Permit - WP / Permis - PT
*U512481220*
U512481220
2022/09/10
2022/09/10
J519215272
2025/10/28
2025/10/28
CPC Edmonton
9700 Jasper Avenue NW,