+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need your advice on PR renewal

aldez

Apr 7, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice on choosing between two options:

I am currently out of the country and unfortunately I lost my wallet with my PR Card :( It was my first PR card since landing as an immigrant and there was still 4 years left of its validity.
I will be outside of Canada for the next 4 months and I did some research and found two options in renewing my card. Which option do you think is the best?

1. I apply for a PRTD and enter Canada, then apply for a new PR card;
(Unfortunately there is no visa office close to me and I will need to travel to get this done)

2. I apply online for a PR Renewal. Hopefully it will be sent to my address. My family are back in Canada and they will be visiting me in a few months so they can bring it to me and I won't have to go through the hassle of getting a PRTD.

What do you think guys? What are the pro's of con's of each option?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
aldez said:
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice on choosing between two options:

I am currently out of the country and unfortunately I lost my wallet with my PR Card :( It was my first PR card since landing as an immigrant and there was still 4 years left of its validity.
I will be outside of Canada for the next 4 months and I did some research and found two options in renewing my card. Which option do you think is the best?

1. I apply for a PRTD and enter Canada, then apply for a new PR card;
(Unfortunately there is no visa office close to me and I will need to travel to get this done)

2. I apply online for a PR Renewal. Hopefully it will be sent to my address. My family are back in Canada and they will be visiting me in a few months so they can bring it to me and I won't have to go through the hassle of getting a PRTD.

What do you think guys? What are the pro's of con's of each option?

Thanks for your help in advance.
2 is not possible, since you must be physically in Canada to apply to renew your PR card.

Your only option is 1. It doesn't matter if you aren't close to a visa office, you can mail your passport and PR TD applciation to the visa office, and they will mail it back to you. 4 months is more than enough time.

aldez

Apr 7, 2015
Thank for the answer.

I know that I must be inside Canada to apply for a PR renewal but I noticed the application process is online and basically wouldn't make a difference if I apply inside Canada or not.

Would it cause any problems if I apply through that?
I haven't seen any part of the process which I would need to physically go to an office for a renewal..

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
aldez said:
Thank for the answer.

I know that I must be inside Canada to apply for a PR renewal but I noticed the application process is online and basically wouldn't make a difference if I apply inside Canada or not.

Would it cause any problems if I apply through that?
I haven't seen any part of the process which I would need to physically go to an office for a renewal..
You need to be physically present in Canada in order to renew PR card. You need to specify your past 5 year history and as you are not in Canada and if you still provide your address of Canada and not the country where you are living, it will be called misrepresentation. So be very careful and get PRTD and then come back to Canada and apply to renew PR card.

aldez

Apr 7, 2015
I guess you're right about it turning out as misrepresentation. I'll get a PRTD and apply once I'm back in Canada.

Thanks guys

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Also there's a good chance for PR renewal CIC will ask you to come pick up the PR card in person at their office (not mailed to your home) so it would be useless to you anyways.