+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need to extend my work permit!! Please help

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Hello. I really need help

I came to Canada to study ESL on Sept, 2008 for 1 year, then in sept 2009 I took a post graduate program for 1 year as well at Niagara College in St. Catharines, Ontario. I was able to get a worker visa, and a post graduate work permit for 1 year, which are going to expire on sept 2nd 2011.

I got a full time job on Dec. 9, 2010 with a contract, and no expire date. I would like to know what should I do to get a new visa, and work permit, and how to apply for it, what do I need to get from the company I work for? a letter? where can I get a draft of a letter?

I would really appreciate if I can get your help, and directions in this process that i have to start.

Thank you in advance for your help, and answer.

Jose Gonzalez

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
I forgot to mentioned that I studied International Businees here in Canada, and My job is totally related to my studies.
I work as an ocean import coordinator.

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
hi usually u can get 3 years of PGWP, but u only finished 1 year program.so, i am not sure you can extend PGWP. u can phone CIC to ask if you are able to extend.
another option is to ask your employer to apply for LMO. u need to get positive LMO to be able to extend your work permit. is your job in NOC 0, A or B. you have to check it out as well.

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
Hi Jose,

How's St.Kitts? The last time I was there was for Easter and I miss it already.
Like Pouce posted if you were granted PGWP and obtained a job in NOC O,A,B and your employer hired you or want you permanently, you'll need to ask your employer to file an LMO with HRSDC. Then request a WP with CIC.

Your employer needs to obtain an LMO first - but because you were originally hired on a PGWP, they do not have to demonstrate recruitment efforts. They do need to explain this ("Originally hired under PGWPP") where the application asks for "summary of recruitment efforts". And for the question that asks if the position is temporary with intent to permanent, they need to answer “Yes” and add "permanent position" as comment in the margin.
Employers must submit an Application for a Labour Market Opinion to the Service Canada Centre responsible for processing the foreign worker requests in their area. The application will be assessed using existing program criteria. In cases where the employer is making a permanent job offer to employees who have completed the PGWPP for employment in a skilled occupation (within National Occupational Classification 0, A and B codes only), the employer will not be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts. It is recommended that the employer submit the application for an LMO approximately four months before the expiry of the Post-Graduation Work Permit. Retrieved from: http://www.rhdcc-hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/intstugrad.shtml
Once your employer agrees to it: Make sure he reads the link hereabove at first
To access form: click on "Application for a Labour Market Opinion" in the second paragraph about "Info for Employers". Scroll all the way down to "High Skilled Occupation" the form is EMP5517

Also have you boss read and follow what is here as it pertains to the recent amendment to LMO application: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/lmo_irpr.shtml

Once you're ready to send, see this to Mail/fax/call http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/hrcc.shtml#ont

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Hello ae03yy,

Thanks so much for your answer, but isn't LMO for a company that is going to hire a foreigner employee?. In my case I've been working six months for the company (freight forwarding).

Please let me know.

Thanks again ;D

larxace

Star Member
May 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010 Sent to NS
Doc's Request.
02-03-2010
Nomination.....
18-04-2010 sent docs to Buffallo VO
AOR Received.
06-05-2010 Received New File # from Buffalo VO
IELTS Request
sent with the file
File Transfer...
April 2011 - status changed to "in process" File transferred to NY Oct 14, 2011
Med's Request
Received 22-12-11 MR letter dated 16-12-11
Med's Done....
28-12-11, further test 1-26-12, Med received by CIC Ottawa 2-18-12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Received 3-2-12 letter dated 2-21-12
VISA ISSUED...
3/15/12 (received on 3/28/12)
LANDED..........
April 2012
Hi Jose,

Your company still need to apply for LMO as they need to prove that there is no canadian or PR here in Canada that they can hire to do your job. Your company will need to get you a new work permit under them and you can't extend you post grad visa. If you are still on Post Grad visa, then cic has a program that your company does not need to advertise your position and just apply for an LMO. You will need a willing employer in this case.
Good luck.
Larxace

Jose Andres said:
Hello ae03yy,

Thanks so much for your answer, but isn't LMO for a company that is going to hire a foreigner employee?. In my case I've been working six months for the company (freight forwarding).

Please let me know.

Thanks again ;D

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
Don't get tied to what LMO is and know Immigration is on constant move and so things change all the time.. likewise LMO will be required when applying for new permit. So, my advice is get started by reading as much as you can so you may guide your employer making calls to Service canada if needed and ultimately gently asking your boss and convincing him early enough.

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Thank you so much for all the info guys, it was really helpful.

now, i will present everything to the VP, and let's hope I have his support.

wish me luck! :D

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Sorry guys,

Just a quick clarification. once my employer complete the LMO form and submit it. do we have to wait for an answer, and then I can submit my application?

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Hello again everyone.

I need advise again... Im a little worry now because my boss doest really want to help with the LMO application (he will give me a final answer this week). (he is just willing to prepare a letter for me)

being that said, what other options do I have to apply for a work permit??. I really need to know if there is any other way I can get a work permit.
Can I just send my visa application with along with my contract (no expire date), supporting docs like my salary statements and reference letters?

Any help and idea will be appreciated.

thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jose Andres said:
Hello again everyone.

I need advise again... Im a little worry now because my boss doest really want to help with the LMO application (he will give me a final answer this week). (he is just willing to prepare a letter for me)

being that said, what other options do I have to apply for a work permit??. I really need to know if there is any other way I can get a work permit.
Can I just send my visa application with along with my contract (no expire date), supporting docs like my salary statements and reference letters?

Any help and idea will be appreciated.

thank you!
No Approved LMO, No Work Permit.

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Hello Every one,

The VP of company will complete the LMO and send it tomorrow. we are a little confuse with the last page of the application form
"Appoinment of a Representative" what about if the company doesnt have a representative? who can be the representative?

Thank you again for your help

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
if there is no rep. than don't complete that part. If everything is in order add a copy of the form filled and signed, job posting/description and current PGWP and fax it all copies to

Temporary Foreign Worker Program
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
Fax nUMBERS
(Local)
(416)-954-3107
(Toll Free)
1-(866)-720-6094

Retrieved from: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/hrcc.shtml#ont

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
Upon faxing wait for them to call your employer and till they send back the LMO confirmation. It might take about 1 mth to receive it via mail / fax

Then you'd be good to apply for WP !

Jose Andres

Jun 7, 2011
Hello Guys

As previously said I was hired by the company I work for under a Post Graduate Work Permit. I submit my LMO application about a month ago, and today we got a call from Service Canada.. the surprise is that my actual work permit does not say that it is a PGWP :(.... I checked with my other classmates at Niagara College that got theirs PGWP, and it says on "Remarks" PGWP...

How can I prove that mine I got as PWGP? I really need help. I have until Friday to check everything again or my file will be close... I feel im not gonna be able to get through this as my current visa and WP expires on Sept 2..

PLease any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help

Jose