+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help after being denied PR under Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
I am in need of urgent help. I applied within Canada as I am living with my spouse in Manitoba (Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class). In June 30th 2014 we received an email saying "It has been determined that I meet the eligibility requirements to apply for PR as a member of the Spouse or Common-Law Class. Please note that the final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a PR have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks. All of which have been completed.
In order to continue this processing your application further information is required. you must complete/submit the following to this office:
> Medical: Complete or provide proof of completion of Immigration medical. This must be received at this office by: 2014/09/28.
This part was completed and excepted in the Mississauga office in 2014/09/14.

On Jan 12th 2015 I received another email from the CIC it stated, This is to replace the eligibility letter dated 28 September, 2014 that refers to your application for
permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. Having reviewed your application, I have concerns that you may not meet the requirements for
immigration to Canada.
Mr. XXXX XXXXX XXXXX, in review of your sponsorship application, you indicated that you were in a common-law relationship and co-habiting with your sponsor since 29 July, 2007. Your sponsor failed to declare you at the time of her becoming a permanent resident on the 19 April, 2012. Since your sponsor did not have you examined for his/her application for permanent residence, you would therefore be excluded from applying for immigration in the family class.
This is after excepting I meet the eligibility in June 2014.
They in the same email said; The onus is on you Mr. xxxx xxxx xxxxx to satisfy me that you are not an excluded member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. I would therefore request that you send any information and/or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within fourteen (14) days from the date of this letter. I must also advise you that failure to disabuse me of my concern may result in the refusal of your application. Every thing was posted to the Mississauga office and below is their reply....
The information requested along with a copy of this letter must be sent to:
Officer JE – INLAND SCLP
Email: CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca
Facsimile: (905) 803-7392

The application was denied in Febuary 3rd 2015 stating;
Case Processing Centre Mississauga Centre de Traitement des Demandes Mississauga
Dear xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx:
This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.
Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Subsection 125(1)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national shall not be considered a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class by virtue of their relationship to the sponsor if the sponsor previously made an application for permanent residence and became a permanent resident and, at the time of that application, the foreign national was a non-accompanying family member of the sponsor and was not examined.

Your sponsor failed to declare you and have you examined for the purposes of immigration, within his/her application for permanent residence. After review of your response letter, I am not satisfied at this time to waive you Mr. xxxx xxxx xxxxx, from the excluded family member class. It is very apparent that you and your common-law spouse have been co-habiting for the last seven years but have been together for seventeen years. Throughout the process in applying for permanent resident status, applicants are advised in writing to notify Citizenship and Immigration of any changes including changes in marital status. There is no reason to believe that your common-law spouse/ sponsor was unaware of the consequences if she failed to comply. As a result, I have determined that you are not a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

What can I do in response?
Can I appeal?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Already answered in your other post.

So sorry that you are in this terrible situation now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To have any hope of being approved and overturning this decision, you would need to prove that you were NOT in fact living together between 2007 and 2012. I suspect this will be extremely difficult / impossible to do if you have already submitted proof to CIC that you were living together during that time. If it is going to be impossible for you to prove you did not live together for this period, then you cannot be sponsored by your spouse (ever) and will have to find a way to immigrate to Canada on your own (e.g. as a skilled worker).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Not to mention the fact that his partner committed misrepresentation by applying for and landing as PR as "single", when in fact she was common-law at the time. If CIC really wanted to they could also make moves to revoke her own PR status if the matter is pressed further.

Unfortunately now there is nothing that can be done. There is no appeal for an inland sponsorship app, and any appeal would most likely be refused anyway as CIC is extremely strict in enforcing this rule.

All efforts now should be put into finding a way to immigrate in some other stream other than family class, if you want to remain in Canada.

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
scylla said:
To have any hope of being approved and overturning this decision, you would need to prove that you were NOT in fact living together between 2007 and 2012. I suspect this will be extremely difficult / impossible to do if you have already submitted proof to CIC that you were living together during that time. If it is going to be impossible for you to prove you did not live together for this period, then you cannot be sponsored by your spouse (ever) and will have to find a way to immigrate to Canada on your own (e.g. as a skilled worker).
I can't prove I was not living with my spouse from 2007-2012. I can not immigrate under a skilled worker as I'm 59 years old and been trying to immigrate to Canada since 2008. I applied in 2008 under Humanitarian and Compassion and got refused. That is why my spouse did not include me in her application as my application was still in process.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kindheart said:
I can't prove I was not living with my spouse from 2007-2012. I can not immigrate under a skilled worker as I'm 59 years old and been trying to immigrate to Canada since 2008. I applied in 2008 under Humanitarian and Compassion and got refused. That is why my spouse did not include me in her application as my application was still in process.
Yes, but that really didn't negate the fact that you were still her Common-Law partner...even with your own H&C application in the works.

Personally, I believe that CIC could improve upon this policy, somehow. The majority of people that fall into this vortex seem to have done so by making a simple, honest mistake.
Allowing the couple to fix their mistake, by imposing a penalty fee and a more thorough medical exam for the applicant, could only be an improvement, IMHO.

I realize that I am in the minority, regarding this since almost everyone [here] disagrees with me, but...that's fine.

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
Rob_TO said:
Not to mention the fact that his partner committed misrepresentation by applying for and landing as PR as "single", when in fact she was common-law at the time. If CIC really wanted to they could also make moves to revoke her own PR status if the matter is pressed further.

Unfortunately now there is nothing that can be done. There is no appeal for an inland sponsorship app, and any appeal would most likely be refused anyway as CIC is extremely strict in enforcing this rule.

All efforts now should be put into finding a way to immigrate in some other stream other than family class, if you want to remain in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kindheart said:
It was mandatory that your spouse include you in her application (even with the H&C application ongoing). Unfortunately this was a huge error on your part.

There's really nothing that can be done. Your spouse can never sponsor you for PR.

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
Rob_TO said:

Have you any suggestions?? I'll try anything.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kindheart said:
You would have to try an immigration stream other than family class - for example, immigrating as a skilled worker. You should read up on the Express Entry program since this is how applications for the Federal Skilled Worker program, Canadian Experience Class and the Provincial Nominee programs are being accepted. If you have money to invest and a business idea, I suppose you could look into the Start Up Visa.

But regardless what you do, being sponsored by your spouse is now impossible.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
It was mandatory that your spouse include you in her application (even with the H&C application ongoing). Unfortunately this was a huge error on your part.

There's really nothing that can be done. Your spouse can never sponsor you for PR.
To be fair to the OP, it was also his partner's error, because it was HER PR application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
I realize that I am in the minority, regarding this since almost everyone [here] disagrees with me, but...that's fine.
I completely agree, and have even suggested in the past CIC should allow these people to still qualify under family class, but to simply remove the medical excessive demand exclusion (as that is the only real reason to ban people like this).

kindheart said:
As I said, your only chance is to try to immigrate independently.

Your partner committed misrepresentation in her own PR app (even if unintentional), and the more you fight the losing battle against being banned under family class, the greater the chance CIC will eventually launch an investigation into her own PR app.

Also there are no appeals allowed under inland, so the only chance to actually appeal this would be to submit a brand new outland application, wait for that to be refused under the same reason, and then appeal that one.

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
Ponga said:
Yes, but that really didn't negate the fact that you were still her Common-Law partner...even with your own H&C application in the works.

Personally, I believe that CIC could improve upon this policy, somehow. The majority of people that fall into this vortex seem to have done so by making a simple, honest mistake.
Allowing the couple to fix their mistake, by imposing a penalty fee and a more thorough medical exam for the applicant, could only be an improvement, IMHO.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

kindheart

Feb 4, 2015
Rob_TO said:

Hi Rob, it was a simple mistake. I was not expecting my spouse to follow me to Canada. She had a son and two grandchildren in England. I came to Canada in 2006, she came in 2007.
Just a simple mistake.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kindheart said:
Thank you so much for your kind words.
You're very welcome. I wish we had an option for you, but...there really isn't one.

I can't even imagine how difficult this is for you both, but I urge you to NOT try to argue your case with CIC, as it very well could jeopardize her PR because of her misrepresentation. Having said that...she may longer even want it if you can't stay in Canada with her. :)

So...when you say that she will probably go with you, where will you be going?