+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have the points and the Job offer BUT..............

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
Hi guys,
This is my first post so go easy on me!
Right, i have 72 points and a job offer from a hair salon. I am working with Canada Visa but i forgot to ask one question.

I have the skills as a hair dresser and a job offer but do i have to obtain a License to be a hair dresser in Canada even tho i have the job offer and the points to get my permanent residency visa?

Thoughts please friends.

Draz

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need a license to apply as an FSW but after you immigrate, as you start working as a hair dresser, you would have to find out. I find it highly unlikely that you need a license to work as a hair dresser in Canada but even if you did, it would just be a test and it would not be required right away.

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
Hi Leon,

Thanks for the info. This really puts my mind at rest. i know i would require a license at some point but i didnt know if i needed it before i got the Visa.
So, i have the points and the job Offer so now my lawyer will finalise my application and its all systems go. In your oppinion how long will it take from when the app is submitted?

Kind regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Drazfoo said:
Hi Leon,

Thanks for the info. This really puts my mind at rest. i know i would require a license at some point but i didnt know if i needed it before i got the Visa.
So, i have the points and the job Offer so now my lawyer will finalise my application and its all systems go. In your oppinion how long will it take from when the app is submitted?

Kind regards
It's hard to say. You can go to www.trackitt.com to look at other peoples timelines and compare by visa office

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Drazfoo said:
Hi guys,
This is my first post so go easy on me!
Right, i have 72 points and a job offer from a hair salon. I am working with Canada Visa but i forgot to ask one question.

I have the skills as a hair dresser and a job offer but do i have to obtain a License to be a hair dresser in Canada even tho i have the job offer and the points to get my permanent residency visa?

Thoughts please friends.

Draz
If you have an AEO (approved employment offer) from HRSDC then you can apply, otherwise no. Unless you have worked or studied in Canada.

PMM

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
Im awaiting my job offer to be accepted, There shouldnt be an issue to be honest.
My main question is i have the points and the job offer to be a hairdresser. However i know you need a license to be a hairdresser in canada. BUT

Do i need the license before i go over or once im in the country?

regards

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Hi, u dnt need to ve a licence to get ur PR.But check if ur profession s a regulated profession ,u might not be granted points for your AEO by CHC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not at all sure that you need a license to work as a hair dresser. You can look at http://www.cicic.ca/684/Hairstylists.canada?prof=6271 and it will explain to you how there are trades where certification is voluntary and trades where it is compulsary. You should use the links for the province where your job offer is to learn more about what is required where you are going.

I know that welders, plumbers and electricians need to be certified but then again, they are in trades where it is really important that they know what they are doing. Carpenters and cabinetmakers do not have to be certified because it is seen as less important. That means that basically, if you are in a trade where certificate is voluntary, you can walk in, get a job and it's between you and your boss if he recognizes your skills or pays you less.

According to the NOC website it says about hairstylists:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=6271 said:
* Completion of a two- or three-year hairstyling apprenticeship program or completion of a college or other program in hairstyling combined with on-the-job training is usually required.

* Several years of experience may replace formal education and training.

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
So many kind replies. Thanks guys.
I have 7 yrs experiance. 3 of them were in house training. Thoughts please

I feel assured and confident now. Tomorrow (monday) i will learn more from my lawyer at canada visa but you have been very helpful.

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
Leon said:
I am not at all sure that you need a license to work as a hair dresser. You can look at http://www.cicic.ca/684/Hairstylists.canada?prof=6271 and it will explain to you how there are trades where certification is voluntary and trades where it is compulsary. You should use the links for the province where your job offer is to learn more about what is required where you are going.

I know that welders, plumbers and electricians need to be certified but then again, they are in trades where it is really important that they know what they are doing. Carpenters and cabinetmakers do not have to be certified because it is seen as less important. That means that basically, if you are in a trade where certificate is voluntary, you can walk in, get a job and it's between you and your boss if he recognizes your skills or pays you less.

According to the NOC website it says about hairstylists:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=6271 said:
* Completion of a two- or three-year hairstyling apprenticeship program or completion of a college or other program in hairstyling combined with on-the-job training is usually required.

* Several years of experience may replace formal education and training.
I also just read this.

There are various provincial/territorial certification and licensing requirements for hairstylists, ranging from trade certification to licensing by a provincial/territorial association. Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available for qualified hairstylists.

Will i need this license before i get in canada or once im in the country?

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not need it before you get to Canada. If you need it after you get to Canada, you will not need it right away. Even electricians and plumbers have 6 month to work before they have to pass the test.

What province is your job offer in?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if you use the link above and check Alberta, you get http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=trades/0421/0421_profile.asp and that one tells you:

To work as a Hairstylist in Alberta, a person must be a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson or hold a recognized trade certificate. (see Recognized Trade Certificates)
Hairstylists who:

* hold a non-recognized Canadian credential in an Alberta-designated trade, OR

* can demonstrate skills and experience in an Alberta-designated trade that meets standards set for journeypersons in Alberta

may be eligible to apply for trade certification under the Qualification Certificate Program.
I couldn't actually see where it says you are allowed to work 6 months before taking the test but I have that from a woman I know who was working at an employment agency bringing in tradesmen. She said that is good for electricians, welders and plumbers at least. I see that the application form to take the test states something about that if you fail the test, you can no longer work in the trade so it must be refering to people working in the trade before taking the test even though it doesn't specify 6 months (that I could find). If you have questions, you can contact the Alberta apprenticeboard and ask.

Drazfoo

Oct 9, 2009
Hi Leon,

Im calling the Lawyer direct tomorrow to see what they say. Im hoping i can get in and then work on the license.

having the Cert before i get the visa would mean me travelling to canada to take the exam. That would be very frustrating lol.

regards

John