+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have current work visa, but was recently laid off. Need guidance please!

Jan 8, 2009
Greetings!

I currently have 36-month work visa that allows me to work in an executive level position for one particular Canadian employer.

In December, I was laid off from my employer due to "shortage of work." I understand that my work permit is still valid thru the 36-month period, but I'm wondering what I need to do to update my status and change employers.

Luckily, I've found a new employer who wants to hire me for a similar position here in Canda. Do I need a positive LMO associated with this new position in order to get a new or updated work permit? What are the steps for pushing this along? The new employer is about to make me a job offer, and they understand my situation. What do I need to do as part of the process? What will the employer do? I'm completely unaware of the process for getting a new LMO and switiching employers...PLEASE HELP.

Any and all information and insights are most appreciated! I'm researched this topic tons and tons, and I haven't found much. Money is also tight, and if possible, I'd like to avoid hiring an immigration attorney. I just need simple help, and i don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is some info on how your employer applies for an LMO: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/temp_workers.shtml