+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a common-law partner but we are not under oath

summoner

Jun 24, 2021
I am applying for work permit in Toronto, and my SO would like to come with me for a couple of months to help me settle and visit the city.

We are together since 8 years, and we have been living together since September 2016. We have both our names under the rental agreement. However, we went to neither of Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths, Commissioner of Taking Affidavits.

In form IM4565 (Family Information), I need to fill in the common-law partner because if I don't, then I need to officially declare that I have no common-law partner. Which is a lie (I guess?).
So, I will write my partner's name and select the option "Will accompany you to Canada." But then in form IM5409 (Declaration of Common-law) I need to provide the name of an official who took our oaths. We did not give oath to any officials, and since we are citizens of a 3rd world country, and live in the EU, I am not sure whether we can.

So, is it a good idea to just declare that I don't have a common-law partner because our relationship is not "official," or should I write the name of my SO down no matter what?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It is not among the required documents, but wouldn't it be better if I uploaded an officially signed document?
It seems rather a self-made complications machine to say you can't provide a document because it's not possible in your jurisdiction when it's not required.

Look instead to what is needed to show common law acc to the requirements.

If that seems overly complicated, there's a pretty universal way to demonstrate a marital relationship, commonly referred to as marriage.

Reactions: bellaluna

summoner

Jun 24, 2021
It seems rather a self-made complications machine to say you can't provide a document because it's not possible in your jurisdiction when it's not required.

Look instead to what is needed to show common law acc to the requirements.

If that seems overly complicated, there's a pretty universal way to demonstrate a marital relationship, commonly referred to as marriage.
I am trying to be sure to submit proper documents not to prolong the process.

BTW, thanks for letting me know this thing called "marriage." Never heard of it before.

• Haha
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
BtW, thanks for letting me know this thing called "marriage." Never heard of it before.
In the eu, it's roughly equivalent to the relationship oath before a commissioner of oaths or a notary, except that it's at city hall or palais de justice or similar. )))