+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I found my lost passport. Reported it lost when I submitted my application. What should I do?

humdrumm

Jan 11, 2015
Hey everyone,

Sorry for posting so frequently! I'm getting more anxious as the days to my test come nearer.

Basically, when I submitted my application, I really couldn't find my passport. I did submit a police report for it, so I photocopied that and told CIC that I lost my previous passport. I've been reading RQ stories all day and I was feeling extra anxious, so I decided to look for it again. And for some magical reason, there it was, presenting itself to me. I swear it wasn't there before...

There is a stamp there for one travel. My question is: since I didn't disclose that I found it again after my application, should I show them the passport for the stamps or just pretend like it was really lost after all? I didn't find it after today. I really have no idea why I couldn't find it before. I'm worried it might confuse them.

Any feedback would be helpful! Thank you.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumm said:
Hey everyone,

Sorry for posting so frequently! I'm getting more anxious as the days to my test come nearer.

Basically, when I submitted my application, I really couldn't find my passport. I did submit a police report for it, so I photocopied that and told CIC that I lost my previous passport. I've been reading RQ stories all day and I was feeling extra anxious, so I decided to look for it again. And for some magical reason, there it was, presenting itself to me. I swear it wasn't there before...

There is a stamp there for one travel. My question is: since I didn't disclose that I found it again after my application, should I show them the passport for the stamps or just pretend like it was really lost after all? I didn't find it after today. I really have no idea why I couldn't find it before. I'm worried it might confuse them.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan ! You're like someone who has a very dangerous disease that could kill him and as of a sudden someone brought him the drug that would save his life but he's wondering " should I take this drug or just let it go?"
Of course you need to show them your passport on interview day. This is a very good news for you. You explain that you lost it but you were able to find it a few days ago. Nothing wrong that.
Good luck

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumm said:
Hey everyone,

You are a lucky fellow. You have the proof to show your travel history. So why are you worried?

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
humdrumm said:
Hey everyone,

You may have to report back to police that it has been found. And take that new police report as well with you - this is imp too.

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumm said:
Hey everyone,

You should not hide this at any cost. Do you have enough days of physical presence when you include the trav days in your lost passport?

humdrumm

Jan 11, 2015
Just a reply to everyone: I'm kinda worried because they might question my inconsistencies with my application. I declare it lost, and come the time of the interview, I find it? I think I'm just being extra paranoid.

At the time of my application, what I gave them is a photocopy of the police report, telling them that I have lost it.

Would the inconsistency be okay? Can I just tell them at the interview that I suddenly found my passport?

And yes, I do have enough physical days.

hht

Star Member
Oct 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
very simple. just call cic and tell them you found it.

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumm said:
Just a reply to everyone: I'm kinda worried because they might question my inconsistencies with my application. I declare it lost, and come the time of the interview, I find it? I think I'm just being extra paranoid.

At the time of my application, what I gave them is a photocopy of the police report, telling them that I have lost it.

Would the inconsistency be okay? Can I just tell them at the interview that I suddenly found my passport?

And yes, I do have enough physical days.
Stop being paranoid you are fine. Just report to the police that it has been found and keep the new report handy.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
@humdrumm

Its a great news!

Once you receive AOR (Acknowlegement of Receipt), please send the photocopy of the passport and a cover letter stating that the missing passport has been found. If you have forgotten to declare a travel date, mention that as well in the cover note.
Also, getting back the passport somehow saves you from RQ.

Please make sure to use your file number that is mentioned in your AOR to send the letter with details to CIC so that CIC can reference that number to open your file.

By the way, what's your timeline and what is the current stage/status of your application?

humdrumm

Jan 11, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
@ humdrumm

Its a great news!

Once you receive AOR (Acknowlegement of Receipt), please send the photocopy of the passport and a cover letter stating that the missing passport has been found. If you have forgotten to declare a travel date, mention that as well in the cover note.
Also, getting back the passport somehow saves you from RQ.

Please make sure to use your file number that is mentioned in your AOR to send the letter with details to CIC so that CIC can reference that number to open your file.

By the way, what's your timeline and what is the current stage/status of your application?
Hi there! The reason why I am so confused and paranoid is because I am about to have my test and interview on Feb. 3rd, so I suppose there really is no ample time to send them a photocopy of the passport (I will call them tomorrow to see what I should do. Hopefully the call centre will help.)

My timeline was pretty quick.

They said they received my application July 24, 2014. Started processing September 19, 2014. They sent me a letter back October, they wanted exact dates of my travels. I just recently received a letter to appear for test and interview.

I declared the travel date that was in the lost passport. Hopefully I'll know what to do soon!

moti

Oct 24, 2012
bring your passport to the interview and show it to the citizenship officer and tell him/her the truth that it was misplaced and you found it, It ll save you from getting RQ.

Passport is a pretty important document and there are quite a lot of people on the forum who got RQ because of the unavailability of passport.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
moti said:
bring your passport to the interview and show it to the citizenship officer and tell him/her the truth that it was misplaced and you found it, It ll save you from getting RQ.

Passport is a pretty important document and there are quite a lot of people on the forum who got RQ because of the unavailability of passport.
I second that.
I have even seen someone mentioning in this forum that the citizenship application was denied by the judge because of the missing passport even though that person provided everything (t4s, NOA, bills, residential ties etc) . By finding your passport back has saved you from a lot of trouble.
You are one of the luckiest man who have got his passport after thorough search so just take it to the interview and provide the complete info to the interviewer and by the time right now call CIC call centre to discuss the same.

I wish you best of luck.

jeune

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i received rq but unforunitly i lost my passport when i was visiting my home country, i sent and filled out the rq but i sent a police report of passport missing with rq
i need your advice