+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I exceeded 7 hours of work only one week! Will I be deported from Canada and banned forever?

polimer123

May 31, 2024
Hello, I am an international student who feels so devastated to see how my future is to crumble down because of a stupid mistake. I am studying full time a Master Degree, and as my study permit states, I can work up to 20 hours a week during my session.

I have been taking care of never working up to 20 hours, however, last week a co-worker got sick and asked me to take his 7 hour shift. I talked with my boss and he told me not be worried as he was going to manage the hours with the accountant to not get paid more than my 20 hours a week.

Oh big surprise when I received my cheque just one week before I could start to work full time (because of the summer break) and got paid 27 hours. I was so upset with my boss, he just told me "I'm sorry the accountant got confused, what is done is done, you're already paid and nothing could be done". He told me that the following week I could work only 13 hours to compensate (which does not make any sense because after that week I could start to work full-time).

I am so devastated, even I have nightmares about CIC coming at home to knock my door to arrest me and take me to the airport.

What do you suggest me to do? Thank you...
Did you get your PGWP at the end? Iam in a similar situation right now.

Reactions: diod92

bcent

Jun 5, 2021
Don't worry about it at all. Since it happened once and isn't repetitive, it shouldn't be a concern. IRCC understands that students may occasionally work more than 20 hours unintentionally, and they have acknowledged this.
However, if you worked more than 20 hours per week for a month, then you should be concerned. @polimer123

Last edited: