+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can't apply for OHIP because I'm on a casual contract, how do I get insurance?

Aug 8, 2023
Hello, I recently graduated and I'm on a post-graduate work permit. I continued my co-op job as a casual worker in the government for 90 days until September 29 2023 and the job does not provide any health insurance benefits. My student insurance expires on August 29 and I'm still looking for a job for when I finish my current contract with the government.

Since my contract is for less than 6 months I am not eligible for OHIP (as far as I'm concerned) and I don't know how long it will take me to find my next job, so I would like to apply for insurance starting on September in case of emergency arises while I wait to be eligible.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I believe that if you work full-time (30+ hours a week) you can register for OHIP after 6 months of employment even if it's not a permanent job. My wife's on a full-time temporary job and did this after 6 months of employment.

Aug 8, 2023
I believe that if you work full-time (30+ hours a week) you can register for OHIP after 6 months of employment even if it's not a permanent job. My wife's on a full-time temporary job and did this after 6 months of employment.
I'm on a contract that is only 4 months of employment. I was working before in the same company but I took a 1 month break because I was waiting for my post-graduate work permit. I haven't had an employment that lasted 6 months in the last year, it was always 3-4 months with breaks in between, so I don't think I'm eligible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm on a contract that is only 4 months of employment. I was working before in the same company but I took a 1 month break because I was waiting for my post-graduate work permit. I haven't had an employment that lasted 6 months in the last year, it was always 3-4 months with breaks in between, so I don't think I'm eligible.
You won't be unfortunately. You either need to have a contract that is at least six months long or be employed in a permanent role.

Mkuma2001

Oct 8, 2023
Hi there,
I am in a similar situation. I am hired as a casual employee. However, I been working 40 hours/ week and its been six months. Based on the OHIP Work Permit holders requirement, I need a full-time and permanent/ over six months employment.
Now, the OHIP website asks to provide an employment letter that satisfies both these conditions. I am able to get a letter that says I am a permanent casual employee. However, it does not mentions me working 40 hours/ week as I am a casual employee.
How do I apply for OHIP in this case? My employer is unable to mentions hours on the employment letter. Is there any way the OHIP will accept my paystubs as proof of working hours.
Please help!.
Thanks.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hi there,
I am in a similar situation. I am hired as a casual employee. However, I been working 40 hours/ week and its been six months. Based on the OHIP Work Permit holders requirement, I need a full-time and permanent/ over six months employment.
Now, the OHIP website asks to provide an employment letter that satisfies both these conditions. I am able to get a letter that says I am a permanent casual employee. However, it does not mentions me working 40 hours/ week as I am a casual employee.
How do I apply for OHIP in this case? My employer is unable to mentions hours on the employment letter. Is there any way the OHIP will accept my paystubs as proof of working hours.
Please help!.
Thanks.
You prove the hours with your paystubs.

Reactions: Mkuma2001

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,
Please help!.
Thanks.
Most OHIP offices want the letter from your employer to state that it is a full-time position (you need the actual words full-time) and the amount of hours you will be working per week and also that the job is scheduled to last over 6 months. You can attempt to apply without a letter containing the information but it would be much better to get your employer to provide a new letter indicating that the job is full-time and the amount of hours you are scheduled to work every week.

laracroooft28

Oct 11, 2023
If you are on a temporary contract and cannot apply for OHIP (Ontario, Canada), you may need private health insurance to provide medical coverage during your temporary stay in Ontario. It is important to check in advance what is covered under your insurance plan.