+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied to extend my student permit before it expires, i finished my studies, i applied for PGWP but no answer for my studies permit, can i work ?

otsamiela

Jul 29, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I applied for an extension of my study permit before it expired, and I am currently on implied status while the application is being processed. I have completed my studies, and I have applied for a PGWP. ( till this day my application for study permit extension is still being processed, i applied on April)

Based on the information available, I understand that I may be allowed to work full-time in Canada once I submit my application for a PGWP, provided that I meet certain conditions, including applying for the PGWP before my study permit expired and being a full-time student who has completed their program of study.

Could you please confirm if my understanding is correct? Specifically, I would like to know if I can start working full-time in Canada while my PGWP application is being processed, given that I have applied for an extension of my study permit before it expired and am on implied status.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or clarification you can provide on this matter.

Thank you

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
i am in the same situation. i applied for extension on 12th of feb 2024, as my study permit expired on 31st march,2024. application is still in process, now i had applied for pgwp on 6th of july. biometric and uci was updated but both application are still in process. for working criteria, individual not allowed to work untill one of two application get approved. i am sitting at home since 4 months.

• Sad
Reactions: otsamiela

otsamiela

Jul 29, 2024
I raised webforms and reports about application but nothing is updated yet.
I have raised webforms as well but have not received any updates so far. I have spoken with three IRCC agents about my situation. Two of the agents, who were English-speaking, confirmed that I am allowed to work. However, when I asked for written confirmation, they said they could not provide it but could only refer me to the information already available on the IRCC website, which does not specifically address my case. ( for that i will not trust a verbal confirmation )

The third agent, who was French-speaking, also confirmed that I am permitted to work, provided I have the EXT-PGWP letter. However, I have not received this letter.

I will continue to follow up and provide updates as I receive them.

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
I have raised webforms as well but have not received any updates so far. I have spoken with three IRCC agents about my situation. Two of the agents, who were English-speaking, confirmed that I am allowed to work. However, when I asked for written confirmation, they said they could not provide it but could only refer me to the information already available on the IRCC website, which does not specifically address my case. ( for that i will not trust a verbal confirmation )

The third agent, who was French-speaking, also confirmed that I am permitted to work, provided I have the EXT-PGWP letter. However, I have not received this letter.

I will continue to follow up and provide updates as I receive them.

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
do you get any updates. i consulted with lawyer. he told that individual not allowed to work unless had one valid status out of 2 status. did you start doing work ?

otsamiela

Jul 29, 2024
do you get any updates. i consulted with lawyer. he told that individual not allowed to work unless had one valid status out of 2 status. did you start doing work ?
Hello

So far nothing, both status are still on pending, and i can not work, the IRCC have no info regarding this situation, but i confirmed that I can not work till i get an answer from the IRCC either they answer regarding the study permit extension, or the post graduation work permit

its been : 126 days since i have applied for the study permit extension, and 57 days since i have applied for the post graduation work permit

I will update the moment i get any info from the IRCC

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
Hello

So far nothing, both status are still on pending, and i can not work, the IRCC have no info regarding this situation, but i confirmed that I can not work till i get an answer from the IRCC either they answer regarding the study permit extension, or the post graduation work permit

its been : 126 days since i have applied for the study permit extension, and 57 days since i have applied for the post graduation work permit

I will update the moment i get any info from the IRCC

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
I consulted with someone who had faced this issue and he is admitting that individual can work as if study permit extension applied before original study permit and can work or study till the course completion, after study is done, individual can not work untill apply for pgwp. Same condition apply after submission of PGWP application as we didn’t loose our status in canada yet. Maintained status is legal status. There is no such clear statement that we are not allowed to work after PGWP application submission.

otsamiela

Jul 29, 2024
I do understand as a lot as well told me i can work, but at the end they are not in our situation, if i work right now i will be risking receiving a refusal for my work permit , there is nothing mentioning that you can work in this case on the IRCC website

But what is mentioned on the website is having a " valid study permit when you submitted your application " in our case its a Maintained status and not a Valid one

Working while waiting for the post graduate work permit

You may be allowed to work full-time in Canada if you are waiting for a decision on your post graduate work permit (PGWP) application and you:
  • Had a valid study permit when you submitted your application,
  • Completed your program of study, and
  • Were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to.
If these conditions apply to you and you need to prove to an employer that you’re eligible to work, provide the employer with a copy of all the required documents.

If these conditions don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job. It’s illegal to work in Canada without authorization.

So its better to not take the risk if things are not clear

otsamiela

Jul 29, 2024
Again there is a condition with that. same one in the website of the IRCC :

They applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application

For this I applied for the work permit after the expiry of the original study permit, even if i have already applied for the extension and i kept my status as a students, based on 3 agents of the IRCC, they said that does not mean i have a valid study permit, because a valid one will have an expiry date, where the request for the extension only give you a maintained status but not a valid study permit

Everyday i am looking for an option but non of it says that I can work in the situation that i am in,

I even got a French speaking IRCC agent who knows about this and explained to me that i can not work until I get an answer from the IRCC either they answer regarding the study permit extension, or the post graduation work permit.

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
Again there is a condition with that. same one in the website of the IRCC :

They applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application

For this I applied for the work permit after the expiry of the original study permit, even if i have already applied for the extension and i kept my status as a students, based on 3 agents of the IRCC, they said that does not mean i have a valid study permit, because a valid one will have an expiry date, where the request for the extension only give you a maintained status but not a valid study permit

Everyday i am looking for an option but non of it says that I can work in the situation that i am in,

I even got a French speaking IRCC agent who knows about this and explained to me that i can not work until I get an answer from the IRCC either they answer regarding the study permit extension, or the post graduation work permit.

Mohit794

Jul 24, 2024
yes you are right, i talked to ircc agent, we both can not work as per our situation. may i know did you also apply for visitor visa before your expired study permit or you just apply for extension of study permit. i am very tensed, some immigration in Brampton and Mississauga threatens me by saying that you will get 100% refusal and you should have apply for visitor visa instead of study permit extension and then they demand $2500 for filling tpr, then i denied them, they are fooling me to grab the money. i said that my study was supposed to be finished on 24th april, my study permit expired on 31st march, then applying for study permit extension allowed me to attend and study in the university. then, they said we are filling 1000 of files, they tried to depressed me and looted me.