+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am now married...seeking help.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Howdy, Ya'll... ;D

I posted here a couple months ago.

I am now married to my Canadian Fiance'. He came to the States and we married here. He has returned back to Canada, and I am now trying to find out the legal way for me to enter there to begin the process. Do I need a 'temporary residence' visa, since we are already married and I would be going there to stay prolonged? Does anyone know a number we can call to find out the legal procedure, that someone actually will answer?

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Until you get your Canada PR, you can not officially "move" to Canada but you can go visit without getting any visa so if you want to, you can go and do that.

You could start your sponsorship application before you go to Canada or afterwards, doesn't matter.

There are two ways for you to apply. You can apply inland where it is a requirement that you are living in Canada for the duration of the processing and there is outland where there is no requirement really to living in any particular place but in that case your processing would happen in the US.

An inland application will get you first stage approval and possibility of open work permit in about 6 months if it goes well and PR in 12 to 18 months. If it goes badly and an interview is required, then you will not get first stage approval but will have to wait for the interview which will happen in 1-3 years depending on how busy the office is where you live.

An outland application through the US will likely take 7-8 months on average to get you PR. There is no first stage approval or work permit possibility. If an interview is required, you would have to go to the US for it.

You can find all the info you need and forms at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Until you get your Canada PR, you can not officially "move" to Canada but you can go visit without getting any visa so if you want to, you can go and do that.

You could start your sponsorship application before you go to Canada or afterwards, doesn't matter.

There are two ways for you to apply. You can apply inland where it is a requirement that you are living in Canada for the duration of the processing and there is outland where there is no requirement really to living in any particular place but in that case your processing would happen in the US.

An inland application will get you first stage approval and possibility of open work permit in about 6 months if it goes well and PR in 12 to 18 months. If it goes badly and an interview is required, then you will not get first stage approval but will have to wait for the interview which will happen in 1-3 years depending on how busy the office is where you live.

An outland application through the US will likely take 7-8 months on average to get you PR. There is no first stage approval or work permit possibility. If an interview is required, you would have to go to the US for it.

You can find all the info you need and forms at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp
Thank you, Leon for all the information. It is a big help. It seems the 'outland' is the better option.

When I fly into Canada, I don't have to worry then about some type of problem with immigration? Do I need to have a copy of our marriage license on hand, and is it ok to just say I am visiting my husband until we can get the PR through?

I just want to be clear on that point..

thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can say that you are visiting your husband and are planning on applying for your PR but make sure you tell them that you know you can only stay for 6 months and you will either go back to the US or apply for an extension if your PR is not through by then.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Leon said:
You can say that you are visiting your husband and are planning on applying for your PR but make sure you tell them that you know you can only stay for 6 months and you will either go back to the US or apply for an extension if your PR is not through by then.
Thanks Leon!