+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a PR but my wife is not. Can she apply for a Study permit ?

essamseddik

Oct 11, 2017
To be honest, I am trying to find a legal and safe way to bring my wife as soon as possible. I am a permanent resident but she's currently outside Canada and she's never been here before. However, she's just received an offer from a top university for a Master's program for January 2018.

Since the sponsorship process takes up to 12 months, she's thinking to apply for a study permit (so that she comes in January) then I sponsor her while she is in Canada (even after she's done with her program).

I believe she is eligible to apply, but I am concerned that she gets rejected since she's intending to stay in Canada. In that case, we will lose those few months of study permit processing time + the 12 months of sponsorship.

Your thoughts ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - she can apply for a study permit. To be approved, she will need to ensure the studies she plans to complete in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and experience. She will also want to demonstrate that she has strong ties to her home country - it will be more difficult for her to be approved given you are a PR. She will additionally need to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds (at least $25K) to cover first year tuition and $10K in living expenses (yes - she still needs to show these funds even if she will be living with you). Again, there's certainly a higher chance of refusal - but she can certainly apply and it's quite possible she may be approved. It will help that it's a Masters and that she plans to attend a top university.

essamseddik

Oct 11, 2017
Yes - she can apply for a study permit. To be approved, she will need to ensure the studies she plans to complete in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and experience. She will also want to demonstrate that she has strong ties to her home country - it will be more difficult for her to be approved given you are a PR. She will additionally need to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds (at least $25K) to cover first year tuition and $10K in living expenses (yes - she still needs to show these funds even if she will be living with you). Again, there's certainly a higher chance of refusal - but she can certainly apply and it's quite possible she may be approved. It will help that it's a Masters and that she plans to attend a top university.
I forgot to mention that the offer is a full scholarship that covers both her tuition fees and living expenses. However, she might still need to show some personal financial proofs (i think $11K ish). And yes i think it does make sense as she has a Bachelor in engineering and this offer is in engineering too. But yeah, your thoughts make sense regarding me being a PR, because the officer might not be convinced that she will go back to her ties back home since I am here lol. Though we really don't want to lie, we just thought they might be okay with letting her in since she has an offer as an advantage.

Thank you again !! I think we need to think again about taking the risk cause apparently there is a high probability to be rejected.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I forgot to mention that the offer is a full scholarship that covers both her tuition fees and living expenses. However, she might still need to show some personal financial proofs (i think $11K ish). And yes i think it does make sense as she has a Bachelor in engineering and this offer is in engineering too. But yeah, your thoughts make sense regarding me being a PR, because the officer might not be convinced that she will go back to her ties back home since I am here lol. Though we really don't want to lie, we just thought they might be okay with letting her in since she has an offer as an advantage.

Thank you again !! I think we need to think again about taking the risk cause apparently there is a high probability to be rejected.
Definitely still show a bank balance even if it's a full scholarship (I would go with at least $10K). I think her chances of being approved will be good if the school is either Waterloo or U of T (those are really top for engineering).