+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HUSBANDS PR CARD WILL EXPIRE MARCH 2017 FIRST TIME TO RENEW

mrsskittles

Jul 1, 2014
Hi everyone!

I know my subject maybe a little bit misleading but I simply don't know what to put on there considering the number of topics posted on here. I would just like to ask for any input or advice with our circumstance.

This is the second time my husband will renew his PR Card. But this is the first time that he will renew his PR card himself (the first one was with the help of his parents, we weren't married then). He has met the requirements to renew his PR card and we are going to Toronto later this year to start the renewal process.

I have questions:

1. How long does it take to renew a PR card now?
2. Is is possible for one to renew his PR card even if he is outside Canada? (just asking to further solidify what I read on here)
3. Let's say he got a notification that his PR Card is renewed and that they will mail it, can he leave Canada then and we can ask his parents to Fedex his new PR Card?

I was told to post on this forum instead on the Family Sponsorship forum so here I am :)

Thank you all for taking the time to read this thread. I do hope I can get responses.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Now processing time is around 3 months. He need to renew PR card from Canada.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Hello,

no one can tell you how long the process will take. The timetable changes every week. And, it depends also on how well you put the application together in the first place.

I have been told that CIC / IRCC does NOT work on Pr card renewals when a PR is out of country (they won't send the new card out of country either).

Sometimes one has to pick up the card at a local CIC / IRCC office, sometimes they'll send it to you. You won't know upfront.

He can use his parents address (if a Canadian address) and, if the card is send to them by mail the parents could send the card with courier to you.

If you're out of country you can also apply for a PRTD to re-enter....but I guess it's more like coming to Canada, applying for PR card and leaving again (well sounds like it somehow).

Good luck!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some info on the CIC website states that the applicant must be in Canada and some states that an applicant can however not be denied for the sole reason that he was not in Canada when the application was made but the application should originate in Canada anyway so theoretically he could fill it out, mail it to his parents and have them mail it into CIC.

However it is better if he goes to Canada himself to make the application. The renewal takes around 3 months right now.

He should not hide the fact that he does not live in Canada if that is the case but he needs to give a mailing address in Canada for correspondance. It is possible that the PR card will be mailed there or that he will be asked to pick it up in person. If he is asked to pick it up in person, he will have to return to Canada and do that.

mrsskittles

Jul 1, 2014
Leon said:
Some info on the CIC website states that the applicant must be in Canada and some states that an applicant can however not be denied for the sole reason that he was not in Canada when the application was made but the application should originate in Canada anyway so theoretically he could fill it out, mail it to his parents and have them mail it into CIC.

However it is better if he goes to Canada himself to make the application. The renewal takes around 3 months right now.

He should not hide the fact that he does not live in Canada if that is the case but he needs to give a mailing address in Canada for correspondance. It is possible that the PR card will be mailed there or that he will be asked to pick it up in person. If he is asked to pick it up in person, he will have to return to Canada and do that.
Hello and thank you very much for all of your responses.

I now have solid answers to all of my questions. I have a couple of follow-up questions though

1. Is is true that the counting of days when you renew your PR card should start from the date of your application to renew and backwards? Like let's say he is going to renew on July 11 2016, should he start counting from that date back to July 11 2011? (We are currently reviewing his number of days)

2. So let's say he was informed that he was successful in renewing his PR Card again and he was asked to pick it up himself but we are already out of the country then, do we have to obtain a legal document so he can enter Canada without his PR Card?

3. His parents said he is short 11 days from the required 730. (i don't know how they counted it) Let's say the PR card is already expired, can we wait for like 3 more weeks before we renew his PR? just so he can complete the 730 days requirement.

4. They (his parents) based the number of days on the month and year that was issued on the card. Is that right?

5. The last time we entered Canada (that was last year November 25) he was asked by the officer in Pearson's how come he didn't apply yet for citizenship. Would that affect his PR Card renewal? It wasn't like she was disturbed by it but she brought it up.

6. The reason he has been in and out of the country was because we got married and we got pregnant and it was a very delicate one (almost lost the baby due to dehydration and, well, a couple of complications...twice) and my father is not in good shape so I need all the help I can get with the business and, of course, for support. Will they consider this though? I mean on humanitarian grounds? We have all the papers and bills to support all of this.

My husband has been a PR card holder since 2007 and we just wanna make sure because we don't wanna end up petitioning him like he did us. And we certainly don't wanna be apart for that long. As much as possible we wanna enter and exit Canada as a family.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrsskittles said:
Hello and thank you very much for all of your responses.

I now have solid answers to all of my questions. I have a couple of follow-up questions though

1. Is is true that the counting of days when you renew your PR card should start from the date of your application to renew and backwards? Like let's say he is going to renew on July 11 2016, should he start counting from that date back to July 11 2011? (We are currently reviewing his number of days)

2. So let's say he was informed that he was successful in renewing his PR Card again and he was asked to pick it up himself but we are already out of the country then, do we have to obtain a legal document so he can enter Canada without his PR Card?

3. His parents said he is short 11 days from the required 730. (i don't know how they counted it) Let's say the PR card is already expired, can we wait for like 3 more weeks before we renew his PR? just so he can complete the 730 days requirement.

4. They (his parents) based the number of days on the month and year that was issued on the card. Is that right?

5. The last time we entered Canada (that was last year November 25) he was asked by the officer in Pearson's how come he didn't apply yet for citizenship. Would that affect his PR Card renewal? It wasn't like she was disturbed by it but she brought it up.

6. The reason he has been in and out of the country was because we got married and we got pregnant and it was a very delicate one (almost lost the baby due to dehydration and, well, a couple of complications...twice) and my father is not in good shape so I need all the help I can get with the business and, of course, for support. Will they consider this though? I mean on humanitarian grounds? We have all the papers and bills to support all of this.

My husband has been a PR card holder since 2007 and we just wanna make sure because we don't wanna end up petitioning him like he did us. And we certainly don't wanna be apart for that long. As much as possible we wanna enter and exit Canada as a family.
1. Yes, they only consider the 5 year period immediately before they receive the application. Any other period is irrelevant.

2. If his old PR card is still valid, he can use it. If his old PR card is expired, he can apply for a PR travel document as long as he still meets the RO.

3. So he does not know his own travel dates but his parents do? As a PR, you have to keep very good records of your travels. If he doesn't meet the RO, he may be able to spend more time depending on when his absences were. If he travels to Canada now to apply, it would depend on where he was exactly 5 years ago. If he was in Canada 5 years ago, staying in Canada now will not increase his days in Canada over the past 5 year window because the window is moving and days in Canada are moving out of it and days in Canada are moving into it. His number of days in Canada would therefore stay the same. However, if he was outside Canada exactly 5 years ago, the 5 year window is moving and days outside Canada moving out of it and days inside Canada are moving in so that would work.

4. The 5 year period has nothing to do with the validity of his PR card, only the past 5 years prior to his renewal application.

5. He under no obligation to apply for citizenship. If he is asked again, he can say that he doesn't meet the RO to apply for citizenship which is probably true.

6. Ideally he would not want to apply for a PR card renewal if he doesn't meet the RO. The application will drag on and on and in the end, they may refuse it anyway if he continues staying outside Canada. There is never a guarantee that immigration will approve H&C grounds but if your father is critically ill and you are taking care of him, you have a pretty good chance. Failing that, I see from your old posts that you are a new PR yourself, sponsored by your husband and so as long as you meet the RO yourself, you could go to Canada and apply to sponsor your husband if he loses his PR. As a PR sponsor, you would have to reside in Canada so you would be separated for some months though.

mrsskittles

Jul 1, 2014
Leon said:
1. Yes, they only consider the 5 year period immediately before they receive the application. Any other period is irrelevant.

2. If his old PR card is still valid, he can use it. If his old PR card is expired, he can apply for a PR travel document as long as he still meets the RO.

3. So he does not know his own travel dates but his parents do? As a PR, you have to keep very good records of your travels. If he doesn't meet the RO, he may be able to spend more time depending on when his absences were. If he travels to Canada now to apply, it would depend on where he was exactly 5 years ago. If he was in Canada 5 years ago, staying in Canada now will not increase his days in Canada over the past 5 year window because the window is moving and days in Canada are moving out of it and days in Canada are moving into it. His number of days in Canada would therefore stay the same. However, if he was outside Canada exactly 5 years ago, the 5 year window is moving and days outside Canada moving out of it and days inside Canada are moving in so that would work.

4. The 5 year period has nothing to do with the validity of his PR card, only the past 5 years prior to his renewal application.

5. He under no obligation to apply for citizenship. If he is asked again, he can say that he doesn't meet the RO to apply for citizenship which is probably true.

6. Ideally he would not want to apply for a PR card renewal if he doesn't meet the RO. The application will drag on and on and in the end, they may refuse it anyway if he continues staying outside Canada. There is never a guarantee that immigration will approve H&C grounds but if your father is critically ill and you are taking care of him, you have a pretty good chance. Failing that, I see from your old posts that you are a new PR yourself, sponsored by your husband and so as long as you meet the RO yourself, you could go to Canada and apply to sponsor your husband if he loses his PR. As a PR sponsor, you would have to reside in Canada so you would be separated for some months though.
Got it! Thank you oh so much.

The problem now is convincing my in-laws that the counting of days should start from the submission of the renewal papers and backwards. Not that they won't take this website seriously, but they based everything on the CIC website which is sometimes frustrating. Personal experiences helps a ton.

Hopefully this is my last question about this topic. Me and my husband talked about it and we are planning to renew his PR card on the 6th of January 2017 since his last entry in Canada was in January 5th 2012. Do you think that's an ideal date? If we choose that, we really don't have any problems with the RO.

Just in case we are out of the country then and we have word that his PR card has been renewed but his current PR card is expired, where do we go to obtain the PR Travel document?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrsskittles said:
Got it! Thank you oh so much.

The problem now is convincing my in-laws that the counting of days should start from the submission of the renewal papers and backwards. Not that they won't take this website seriously, but they based everything on the CIC website which is sometimes frustrating. Personal experiences helps a ton.

Hopefully this is my last question about this topic. Me and my husband talked about it and we are planning to renew his PR card on the 6th of January 2017 since his last entry in Canada was in January 5th 2012. Do you think that's an ideal date? If we choose that, we really don't have any problems with the RO.

Just in case we are out of the country then and we have word that his PR card has been renewed but his current PR card is expired, where do we go to obtain the PR Travel document?
Tell his relatives to have a look at the PR card renewal application on the CIC website here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp It asks for the past 5 years. Nothing else.

If you apply on January 6th 2017 and he meets the RO, then he has no problem.

If he needs to apply for a PR TD, he should send the application to the local visa office responsible for the country where you live. He also needs to meet the RO at the time he applies for the PR TD.