+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband is in Jamaica, please help with advice!

ambers

Feb 28, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I was searching for something like this with hopes that people who have gone through this process within the last maybe 5 or so years could shed some light for me.

My husband is a Jamaican resident. I am Canadian. We have been together for 3 years via long distance relationship. We also have a beautiful 1.5 year old daughter together.

I officially sent in our immigration paperwork on September 28, 2012 (our daughter's birthday coincidentally enough :) ). I found out in early November that I had been approved as the sponsor from Mississauga, Ontario.

I keep trying to look up to see if our case has at least been started. All I have heard since the sponsor approval was that our file would be sent to Kingston, JA. I have no idea if it is actually there right now (I would hope so as we are now into March of 2013!) and it states online that I cannot contact them expecting a response if it is "within the estimated time frame for processing." When I went to see how long that exactly is, it states 18 months!!!!

Please tell me that this is a huge overshot that they just put up to cover their butts and it is not actually another year and a half that we will be waiting at this point! Our daughter would be almost 3 years old by that time.

Under other circumstances, I would just honestly live in Jamaica while we waited this out. However, I have a son who is a grade 1 student here in Canada. Obviously I could not pull him from school (unless he can attend school in Jamaica? Anyone have any info on that?). So uprooting for even a temporary period of time is not optional.

I am incredibly depressed about this. We have gone through this for now 3 years and have somehow managed to tough that out. The reason for a late submission of the application was because I suffered huge post-partum depression once Emily was born and felt all kinds of crazy. Just such a total mess this is (or feels like).

My question to you lovely folks is, does it truly take 18 months? Has anyone actually experienced such a HUGE period of time to wait for their spouse from Jamaica?

I am just reaching out here because I do not know what to do or how to cope with another year apart. This is hurting our daughter the most which is what is breaking my heart.

Another thing I should mention: prior to our marriage in June 2011, we applied for a visitors visa for him. We did that around the beginning of May 2011. He has no criminal record, no past transgressions, etc. He was denied a visitors visa on October 16, 2011. Now that we are married and have an actual application sent in, and being that our income should be considered combined now, would we stand a shot at obtaining the visitors visa? He would have to go home unfortunately because he needs to be in Jamaica for immigration purposes and whatnot (this is our guarantee that he will NOT stay in Canada, he will return at the end of his visit). But it is incredibly easier for him to travel and visit us here, then it is for me to take my daughter (who is now walking and incredibly uninterested in sitting for a 4 hour flight) to Jamaica all the time. I can't even do that anymore because my son is in school and I am both kid's primary care giver. So what if I wrote a letter, submitted my bank statements to compliment his to show our income and stated our case....do you think we would still wind up denied? What are your thoughts on that?

Please, any advice would be truly appreciated!! Thank you so much for reading. I wish anyone who is going through these trials all the love and luck in the world!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Hi Ambers,

I would recommend you check out the Kingston thread.. They will be able to answer your questions and are a great source of support and information. As for timelines.. Chickie (who posts daily) has the spreadsheet under her ticker in every post she makes. Any questions feel free to ask and good luck!

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/kingstonjamaica-t29680.29460.html

ambers

Feb 28, 2013
Thank you for the advice and where to post! I reposted there so fingers crossed that someone can offer some advice!!

jammywife68

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2012
Doc's Request.
16-01-2013
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Request
01-22-2014
Med's Done....
01-24-2014 (REDONE & Sent Back)
Interview........
None in gods name
Passport Req..
02-18-2104
VISA ISSUED...
Soon !
Re: Husband is in Jamaica,

i just started this long and tedious process as well in December
we were married in August 2012.
my husband and beautiful stepdaughter are in jamaica

my app for sponsorship filed dec 15/2012
rec'd letter 01/16/13 stating sponsership approved and file fwd to Kingston Jamaica
meds were done 11-2012
police clearance done 09-2012
all forms submitted - all fees paid (apparently thats very very important as i was told by my attorney to ensure there is no delay)

Now many friends who have already immigrated from jamaica assure me this process will not take more than 3-4 months now...is this true..or am i hoping for the extraordinary

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ambers said:
My question to you lovely folks is, does it truly take 18 months? Has anyone actually experienced such a HUGE period of time to wait for their spouse from Jamaica?
It can take that long, or longer. Many people are done more quickly, however. An application with a lot of evidence the relationship is genuine - which I would guess you have - should be processed more quickly, and if they decide no interview is needed that will speed things up as well.
Another thing I should mention: prior to our marriage in June 2011, we applied for a visitors visa for him. We did that around the beginning of May 2011. He has no criminal record, no past transgressions, etc. He was denied a visitors visa on October 16, 2011. Now that we are married and have an actual application sent in, and being that our income should be considered combined now, would we stand a shot at obtaining the visitors visa? He would have to go home unfortunately because he needs to be in Jamaica for immigration purposes and whatnot (this is our guarantee that he will NOT stay in Canada, he will return at the end of his visit). But it is incredibly easier for him to travel and visit us here, then it is for me to take my daughter (who is now walking and incredibly uninterested in sitting for a 4 hour flight) to Jamaica all the time. I can't even do that anymore because my son is in school and I am both kid's primary care giver. So what if I wrote a letter, submitted my bank statements to compliment his to show our income and stated our case....do you think we would still wind up denied? What are your thoughts on that?
TRV applications are usually denied, but since you have already sent in the PR application, trying for a TRV won't hurt. A few forum members have been able to get a TRV after applying for the PR. They mentioned the PR application, and stressed that they just wanted to visit and did not want to jeopardize their PR app by overstaying. He will need the usual proof of return to Jamaica as well: a return ticket with a date, proof of something to come back to - a job, a lease or mortgage, school, etc.

jammywife68

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2012
Doc's Request.
16-01-2013
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Request
01-22-2014
Med's Done....
01-24-2014 (REDONE & Sent Back)
Interview........
None in gods name
Passport Req..
02-18-2104
VISA ISSUED...
Soon !
Thanks sooo Much

and yes of course - photos - text message - cell phone landline bills
airline tickets
etc all expenses transactions and records- I gave em everything but the kitchen sink!!

Thanks CanadianWoman!!