+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Humanitarian Pr for widowed mother

May 15, 2024
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking suggestions on whether to try for humanitarian PR for my mother. Some facts:

1. She is 62 and widowed.
2. I’m an only child who came to canada in 2019 as a PR and now I’m a citizen. I’m married and have a toddler.
3. She has been in canada on a supervisa since 2022 (left canada for a few weeks to visit US and came back earlier this year)
4. We are eligible to submit an interest for Parent grandparent sponsorship but it hasn’t opened since 2020 and no guarantees of opening anytime soon (that is the reason why I’m exploring this route)

She has no other children and will be all alone if she goes back which is taking a toll on her mental health (and mine as I wouldn’t want her to be alone in her old age). She is also a huge presence in my son’s life and I want my son to grow up leaning about our culture and customs from her. Is there any chance of approval through humanitarian route? Does anyone have any success stories?
Thank you for your suggestions.

May 15, 2024
Added: I’m also scraped of a rejection as I’ve heard that in such a case it becomes difficult for the applicant to enter Canada were she to leave and come back as a visitor

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Added: I’m also scraped of a rejection as I’ve heard that in such a case it becomes difficult for the applicant to enter Canada were she to leave and come back as a visitor
If she gets denied H&C then yes it could be difficult for her to visit in the future because she has expressed the desire to be a PR and there may be concerns that she will not return home. She is young so can care for herself in her home country even if that is not her preference. You knew you were an only child when you came to Canada and knew that parent sponsorship wasn’t guaranteed so you must have considered that you may be separated from your parents and planned accordingly. Your mother has a supervisa so has the ability to spend a long period of time visiting you. Canada made supervisa visit very generous knowing that many will not be able to sponsor their parents or will have to wait a long period of time in order to get selected. Many grandparents only see their grandchildren infrequently even if they are all Canadian citizens so that is not a good reason You only came in 2019 so you only recently would have qualified to attempt to get selected for PGP. H&C is not a method to skip PGP process.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If she gets denied H&C then yes it could be difficult for her to visit in the future because she has expressed the desire to be a PR and there may be concerns that she will not return home. She is young so can care for herself in her home country even if that is not her preference. You knew you were an only child when you came to Canada and knew that parent sponsorship wasn’t guaranteed so you must have considered that you may be separated from your parents and planned accordingly. Your mother has a supervisa so has the ability to spend a long period of time visiting you. Canada made supervisa visit very generous knowing that many will not be able to sponsor their parents or will have to wait a long period of time in order to get selected. Many grandparents only see their grandchildren infrequently even if they are all Canadian citizens so that is not a good reason You only came in 2019 so you only recently would have qualified to attempt to get selected for PGP. H&C is not a method to skip PGP process.
I can see a lot of people using this as H&C once their parents start to "live" in Canada for years with the supervisa.
I wonder if IRCC is prepare for this flood of H&C applications.

A recent poster also asked what kind of social assistance and welfare the parent can get if he/she get PR via H&C.
Which shows that they plan to abandon the parent once he/she gets to stay.
This is a very sad trend.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking suggestions on whether to try for humanitarian PR for my mother. Some facts:

1. She is 62 and widowed.
2. I’m an only child who came to canada in 2019 as a PR and now I’m a citizen. I’m married and have a toddler.
3. She has been in canada on a supervisa since 2022 (left canada for a few weeks to visit US and came back earlier this year)
4. We are eligible to submit an interest for Parent grandparent sponsorship but it hasn’t opened since 2020 and no guarantees of opening anytime soon (that is the reason why I’m exploring this route)

She has no other children and will be all alone if she goes back which is taking a toll on her mental health (and mine as I wouldn’t want her to be alone in her old age). She is also a huge presence in my son’s life and I want my son to grow up leaning about our culture and customs from her. Is there any chance of approval through humanitarian route? Does anyone have any success stories?
Thank you for your suggestions.
You applied to immigrate as an only child .

You did .

It’s bordering on ridiculous

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can see a lot of people using this as H&C once their parents start to "live" in Canada for years with the supervisa.

A recent poster also asked what kind of social assistance and welfare the parent can get if he/she get PR via H&C.
Sadly the government has done nothing to clarify that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed (especially after 3 years) and if anything has reinforced this false notion with length of supervisa. The H&C program is being overwhelmed partially by parents not qualifying for PGP. Don’t see anyone willing to have the conversation about things like healthcare resources and feasibility of PGP or any form of parent sponsorship. Areas with a large immigrant population like Brampton and Surrey have some of the most overwhelmed healthcare systems without adding more seniors and we’re going short tens of thousands of healthcare workers in 10 years. We don’t have the excess capacity to absorb more seniors who likely will never pay into the system. Meanwhile I hear about many on superivsas using family members SIN#s and health cards to work and access healthcare.

• Sad
Reactions: YVR123

salsaandchips

May 10, 2024

Yup, Indian mentality at full display here. The entitlement is astounding and our people have the tendency to exploit every single law available to them for their own benefit. Not only that but when Canadian government tries to tighten the rules, these people do a "protest" for their so called "rights" like they're doing in PEI. I just hope that IRCC mass rejects these applications without even taking a second look at them. There is no real benefit for Canada if they import seniors from Punjab in mass numbers who will never work, who can never speak any other language than Punjabi, and who will be nothing but a massive burden on the healthcare system.

salsaandchips

May 10, 2024
Sadly the government has done nothing to clarify that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed (especially after 3 years) and if anything has reinforced this false notion with length of supervisa. The H&C program is being overwhelmed partially by parents not qualifying for PGP. Don’t see anyone willing to have the conversation about things like healthcare resources and feasibility of PGP or any form of parent sponsorship. Areas with a large immigrant population like Brampton and Surrey have some of the most overwhelmed healthcare systems without adding more seniors and we’re going short tens of thousands of healthcare workers in 10 years. We don’t have the excess capacity to absorb more seniors who likely will never pay into the system. Meanwhile I hear about many on superivsas using family members SIN#s and health cards to work and access healthcare.
And it's only one nationality doing all of this-Indians. And I'm saying that as an Indian! This is why diversity in immigration is so necessary. You can't blindly import millions of people from a failed country like India and expect that there will be no cultural and economic impacts. Indians have the worst mentality of all immigrant groups in Canada. We're seeing that in PEI now with people on PGWP protesting for PR like they own the country.

Canada better wake up and start limiting immigration from India. Only allow educated people who qualify under the point based system and mass reject study, family and tourist visas. It's because of guys like these, other well settled Indians also have to face backlash too. Hopefully IRCC will wake up and put its foot down before these guys start "protesting" to bring their old and ill parents to Canada as well.